Flight Planing & Street Addresses

Old December 22nd 06, 11:34 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Mike 'Flyin'8'

Default Flight Planing & Street Addresses

Is there an easy way to create a flight plan using a street address?

After the Holiday I am going to take a friend flying and he gave me 4
addresses he wants to fly over and get some pictures. It would sure
be nice if I could just use some google earth thing to punch in the
addresses and use it to help with my flight planning... Is there
anything out there that would help me with this? I suppose I could
plug the addresses into my AirMap 1000 and use that....

Mike Alexander
PP-ASEL
Temecula, CA
See my online aerial photo album at
http://flying.4alexanders.com
Old December 23rd 06, 12:45 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Dan[_1_]

Just use google earth to punch in the addresses. Put the mouse over
the building and look at the GPS coords on the bottom of the screen.
Enter the coordinates into your handheld and you've got your flight
plan.

--Dan

Old December 23rd 06, 04:42 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Mxsmanic

Mike 'Flyin'8' writes:

Is there an easy way to create a flight plan using a street address?

After the Holiday I am going to take a friend flying and he gave me 4
addresses he wants to fly over and get some pictures. It would sure
be nice if I could just use some google earth thing to punch in the
addresses and use it to help with my flight planning... Is there
anything out there that would help me with this? I suppose I could
plug the addresses into my AirMap 1000 and use that....

Remember that you won't be able to see them if you fly directly over
them. You'll have to fly nearby. Which in turn means that filing
precisely enough to go over them is probably overkill, particularly if
you aren't sure of the viewing angles available outside your aircraft,
and so on.

map.google.com will give you latitudes and longitudes.

Old December 23rd 06, 05:54 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Dave S

Mike 'Flyin'8' wrote:
Is there an easy way to create a flight plan using a street address?

After the Holiday I am going to take a friend flying and he gave me 4
addresses he wants to fly over and get some pictures. It would sure
be nice if I could just use some google earth thing to punch in the
addresses and use it to help with my flight planning... Is there
anything out there that would help me with this? I suppose I could
plug the addresses into my AirMap 1000 and use that....

Mike Alexander
PP-ASEL
Temecula, CA
See my online aerial photo album at
http://flying.4alexanders.com

Yahoo maps works pretty similar. Punch in the address... Click "go"
The URL contains the lat and long in itself.

For Instance:
1600 Pennsylvania, Washington, DC on Yahoo Maps comes back to

http://maps.yahoo.com/#mvt=m&q1=1600...8.898548&mag=3

see the "&lon=-77.037206&lat=38.898548&" in the middle of all that?

By the way.. I highly recommend you do not try to fly to that particular
coordinate unless you like seeing F-16's in slow flight formation with
you...

Dave
Old December 23rd 06, 10:28 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
GeorgeC

On Sat, 23 Dec 2006 05:54:48 GMT, Dave S wrote:

I entered my address into Yahoo maps and it was off by 12 houses. I would
suggest printing a satellite map and ask him to show you his house. That way he
know what his house will look like for the air. Most people have a hard time
id'ing there house from the air.

Old December 23rd 06, 10:53 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
gpsman

Mike 'Flyin'8' wrote:
Is there an easy way to create a flight plan using a street address?

A street address is not data which is reliable enough to locate a
residence from the air.

I would use landmarks visible from the air instead, and ensure they are
accurate via satellite photos, if possible.

I would pinpoint the locations in Streets & Trips and use my hand-held
GPS plugged into S&T to find it... or convince the occupants to stand
outside and wave a "flag".
-----

- gpsman

Old December 24th 06, 03:31 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Peter Dohm

I entered my address into Yahoo maps and it was off by 12 houses. I would
suggest printing a satellite map and ask him to show you his house. That

way he
know what his house will look like for the air. Most people have a hard

time
id'ing there house from the air.

Good point. I got a similar result on mine and a couple of others as well.
To their credit. they did show houses on the correct streets.

However, using an admittedly older os, yahoo is currently the only service
that seems to give me a lat-lon from an address.

Peter

Old December 24th 06, 03:47 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Roy Smith

In article ,
"Peter Dohm" wrote:

I entered my address into Yahoo maps and it was off by 12 houses. I would
suggest printing a satellite map and ask him to show you his house. That

way he
know what his house will look like for the air. Most people have a hard

time
id'ing there house from the air.

Good point. I got a similar result on mine and a couple of others as well.
To their credit. they did show houses on the correct streets.

However, using an admittedly older os, yahoo is currently the only service
that seems to give me a lat-lon from an address.

Peter

Google gives you lat/long, you just need to know where to look for it :-)

Enter your address and click the "Search Maps" button. Then, once you've
got the map page, click on "Link to this page". This will get you a URL
which has the lat/long imbedded in it. Look for the "ll=" embedded in the
URL.
Old December 24th 06, 04:34 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Mike 'Flyin'8'

Which for most cases would be fine, but we are going to take pics of
Kart racing tracks.

Old December 24th 06, 01:58 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Travis Marlatte

topozone.com will do an address search to get you in the general area.
However, they then want to sell you a "Map Pack." If you already know the
general area, you can just their topo maps. The lat/long for the center of
the map is displayed at the top.

--
Travis