Why did this helicopter crash ?

Old September 7th 04, 09:53 AM
Iwan Bogels

Default Why did this helicopter crash ?

Hi everybody,

This week I have uploaded a video of a helicopter crash on my website
(www.dappa.nl/crash.htm). Does anyone have a clue about the failure that
caused this crash? It is definately not an engine failure or a tail rotor
failure, but it still looks like a spectacular decend.

For the sensitive viewers: Nobody got hurt, but the helo is a complete write
off.

Iwan Bogels
DAPPA

Old September 7th 04, 05:04 PM
helicopterandy

"Ove" wrote in message ...
Maybe a hydraulic failure (lost the pressure) ?

Ove
"Iwan Bogels" wrote in message
Hi everybody,

This week I have uploaded a video of a helicopter crash on my website
(www.dappa.nl/crash.htm). Does anyone have a clue about the failure that
caused this crash? It is definately not an engine failure or a tail rotor
failure, but it still looks like a spectacular decend.

For the sensitive viewers: Nobody got hurt, but the helo is a complete

write
off.

Iwan Bogels
DAPPA

The early reports are loss of tail rotor effectiveness. Look at the
video again. He starts an auto (obviously) and once near the bulidings
he pulls collective and has no tail rotor thrust to correct problem.
Read the NTSB prelims.
Old September 7th 04, 05:11 PM
helicopterandy

"Ove" wrote in message ...
Maybe a hydraulic failure (lost the pressure) ?

Ove
"Iwan Bogels" wrote in message
Hi everybody,

This week I have uploaded a video of a helicopter crash on my website
(www.dappa.nl/crash.htm). Does anyone have a clue about the failure that
caused this crash? It is definately not an engine failure or a tail rotor
failure, but it still looks like a spectacular decend.

For the sensitive viewers: Nobody got hurt, but the helo is a complete

write
off.

Iwan Bogels
DAPPA

Sorry for the multiple posts here. But on my first reply I meant to
say after he began the auto he had to pull collective when he neared
the buildings rooftops and he obviously didn't have any tail rotor
thrust to manage that collective pull. Notice how the heli yaws when
he arrests his descent. Read the initial NTSB reports.
Old September 7th 04, 06:03 PM
Gene Seibel

"Iwan Bogels" wrote in message ...
Hi everybody,

This week I have uploaded a video of a helicopter crash on my website
(www.dappa.nl/crash.htm). Does anyone have a clue about the failure that
caused this crash? It is definately not an engine failure or a tail rotor
failure, but it still looks like a spectacular decend.

For the sensitive viewers: Nobody got hurt, but the helo is a complete write
off.

Iwan Bogels
DAPPA

Tail rotor failure.
http://www.ntsb.gov/ntsb/brief.asp?e...12X00594&key=1
--
Gene Seibel
Hangar 131 - http://pad39a.com/gene/plane.html
Old September 7th 04, 06:16 PM
SelwayKid

"Iwan Bogels" wrote in message ...
Hi everybody,

This week I have uploaded a video of a helicopter crash on my website
(www.dappa.nl/crash.htm). Does anyone have a clue about the failure that
caused this crash? It is definately not an engine failure or a tail rotor
failure, but it still looks like a spectacular decend.

For the sensitive viewers: Nobody got hurt, but the helo is a complete write
off.

Iwan Bogels
DAPPA

Iwan
Of course it's futile to 2nd guess the cause of this accident but its
obviously a mechanical malfunction and my guess its a hydraulic
failure. At first glance it appeared to be tail rotor failure but
given the gyrations, it is more than that. So, my best guess or WAG
(wild ass guess) is a near complete hydraulic failure with resultant
crazy control responses.
I must emphasize I only have 8000 hours in helicopters (13-14,000 in
fixed wing) and very little in the AStar so its only my best guess.
Ol Shy & Bashful
p.s. I'd like to see more on your website but as you know, its down? I
am a proponent on what you are doing for instructional purposes and
accident prevention. If you have another way to access your clips
please let me know?
Old September 7th 04, 06:31 PM
Sean Trost

ummn Andy,
Correct me if I'm wronge but if the helicopter is in an auto then the
rotor is disengaged from the powere source, hence no tourqe to induce
the yaw when the collective is pulled.
all the best
Sean

Old September 7th 04, 06:44 PM
Sean Trost

sorry lack of coffee after a long shift.

wronge = wrong
powere = power