A aviation & planes forum. AviationBanter

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Go Back   Home » AviationBanter forum » rec.aviation newsgroups » Soaring
Site Map Home Register Authors List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Web Partners

Soaring not compatible with modern society?

Old May 11th 18, 03:24 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Tango Eight
external usenet poster

Default Soaring not compatible with modern society?

On Thursday, May 10, 2018 at 4:05:06 PM UTC-4, son_of_flubber wrote:
You guys are missing one of several elephants in the cockpit...

Most Americans think that small power planes are 'extremely dangerous', and whenever it slips out that I fly gliders, casual acquaintances think that I'm 'totally nuts'. The people that already know me well before they find out about my piloting are usually surprised because... 'But, you seem so normal!'

I think your experience is unusual.

T8
Old May 11th 18, 04:48 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
[email protected]
external usenet poster

Most Americans think that small power planes are 'extremely dangerous', and whenever it slips out that I fly gliders, casual acquaintances think that I'm 'totally nuts'. The people that already know me well before they find out about my piloting are usually surprised because... 'But, you seem so normal!'

I think your experience is unusual.

Not completely. When I was younger, the fact that many people viewed my gliding as "extreme" enhanced the appeal of soaring. Even in high school in the 60s, not everyone wanted to be thought of as "normal" (read: boring).

Chip Bearden
Old May 11th 18, 08:22 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
[email protected]
external usenet poster

Maybe gliding is targeting the wrong group when trying to expand the sport. All the effort is going at targeting young people. How may power pilots were taught first to fly gliders because it is cheap - then moved to power and left the sport because they become professional pilots etc. Some may come back to the sport in later years but most do not. Maybe the target market should be the more mature people - settled in their careers and looking for a new challenge in life - not a cheap way into an aviation career. They the sort of people who stick to soaring - give time and resources to the clubs and become passionate about the purity of flying without an engine.
Old May 12th 18, 01:58 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Bruce Hoult
external usenet poster

On Saturday, May 12, 2018 at 2:03:57 AM UTC+12, son_of_flubber wrote:

Another elephant.

"The average American borrower with a bachelor’s degree leaves campus with $28,400 in debt."

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/05/11/u...av=bottom-well

Which is about the price of a Camry. Or seven months rent of a small apartment in the San Francisco Bay area or New York. Or a twentieth the price of buying a house or apartment.
Old May 15th 18, 06:15 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Richard McLean[_2_]
external usenet poster

On Saturday, 5 May 2018 20:01:36 UTC+8, Tom wrote:
This quote - it will go on my "best of RAS": "Safety is just a cover for control and ruining other people's fun." I'll keep it in mind as we conduct our pre-season safety meeting, as our main purpose is to not have someone die or be injured and not to break a lot of expensive, hard to replace equipment. I'll keep that in mind as we try to keep the our young line crew, our tow pilots, our instructors, our pilots and our passengers safe and have a successful season.

There are so many other things I could say here but I think I will treat this as one of the posts that there truly is no reasonable response to. My friends would tell me to not rise to this obvious bait but obviously this poster has cast that fly so perfectly into my pool that it got me.

Regards, Tom

My thoughts exactly!
Old May 25th 18, 01:08 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
[email protected]
external usenet poster

On Friday, May 11, 2018 at 8:58:07 PM UTC-4, Bruce Hoult wrote:
On Saturday, May 12, 2018 at 2:03:57 AM UTC+12, son_of_flubber wrote:

Another elephant.

"The average American borrower with a bachelor’s degree leaves campus with $28,400 in debt."

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/05/11/u...av=bottom-well

Which is about the price of a Camry. Or seven months rent of a small apartment in the San Francisco Bay area or New York. Or a twentieth the price of buying a house or apartment.

Just saw this in an article about RVs:

"Winnebago’s motor home retail prices range from just over $20,000 for compact towable models to more than half a million dollars for semi truck-sized class A mobile mansions"