Aero Exhibition is now an annual event

Old January 18th 08, 05:54 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Vaughn Simon

Default Aero Exhibition is now an annual event

"Burt Compton - Marfa" wrote in message
Good points from Tom.

I would love to see an annual sunbelt SSA Convention
site where we could also fly sailplanes. There are other sunbelt
sites from Orlando to Phoenix to California.

Wait a minute, perhaps there is a whiff of an idea there.

What if we had the convention at an airport site where we could fly AND do
"convention things"? The annual convention could be part soaring camp, perhaps
even part contest, the exhibiters could actually demonstrate their wares, yet we
could still do the "convention stuff" if we made a good choice of locations. A
portion of the Sun-N-Fun site (along with the FAA conference facility) quickly
comes to mind. Has anyone ever looked into that? I know that Burt and Tom are
familiar with the place because I have meet them there.

Vaughn

Old January 18th 08, 06:53 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
tommytoyz

Holding the event at the same location every tine only makes sense.
Aero Friedrichshafen will be held every year in, well,
Friedrichshafen.

Setting up and organizing it every time in another city can not be
cheap, convenient, efficient or predictable.

There is a reason the Aero Friedrichshafen, the Detroit Ato Show,
Oshkosh, etc...have a permanent location.

We should too.

I suggest a scenic place that has some attraction for non pilots.
-Seattle, Orlando, Memphis, Miami, Albuquerque, (how about some Ski
slope areas?).

Let's pick a spot that can be fun for everyone and make it a
tradition.....
Tom
Old January 19th 08, 02:55 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Dave Newill

On Jan 18, 1:53*pm, tommytoyz wrote:

Aero Friedrichshafen will be held every year in, well,
Friedrichshafen.

We should note that Friedrichshafen is a mix of EAA SSA and NBAA - so
there is quite a blend of General Aviation - not just soaring - hence
is held at an airport facility. It therefore attracts BIG dollar
(euro) displays from the prime OEM's. While I have not checked the
exhibit rate - my guess it that it is a good bit more expensive than
space at any SSA event.

Setting up and organizing it every time in another city can not be
cheap, convenient, efficient or predictable.

Agreed - however many major exhibits or conferences do recognize that
there should be an East coast, West coast, Mid-west venue every other
time - so they have three long term fixed contract sites. This at
least means that the attendees and exhibitors are comfortable with the
layout and hotels etc.

I have been happy to see this thread extend the discusson held at
several board meetings. Now that Friedrichshafen has just switched to
an annual event - one of our original reasons for going to alternate
years is no longer valid.

Assembling, coordinating, putting funds at risk (hotel garuntees,
floorspace rate etc) is a big task - and for the past several years
SSA HQ has collaborated with local club or clubs to provide the
manpower to do much of the work. Those clubs that did a good job of
local publicity AND that could draw from a reasonable nearby
population were most successful. MY OPINON - where the geography and
population was not as conducive to such and event did not fare as
well.

Some organizations have a full time staff dedicated to just the
convention - and hence can put on events with an annual cycle
reasonably easy, Others have a very well documented kit of information
where local organizations / clubs bid to run the event four years in
advance, get awarded three years out then are reviewed by HQ and the
board on a quarterly then monthly basis as they lead up to the event.
HQ provides the kit, software and organization name / garuntee for
expenses and the local chapters put up a "bond" to HQ to show their
committment (usually paid by a key OEM near the site of the event).
The slightest glitch from the project timeline or coundown and alarms
bells go off at HQ and the bond can be used to pay for professional
assistance. So everyone is motivated $$$ to keep things on track.

Enough for this post - am interested in seeing reactions to any of the
above.,