The Flying Car

Old October 11th 07, 12:54 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning
John[_9_]

Default The Flying Car

I've seen a small blurb about another attempt to build a flying car.
You would think that people would learn from history. I have never
really seen the attraction. You end up with something that is neither
a car or a plane. As for me when I do go flying I want to be as far
from cars and everything else earthbound as possible.

John Dupre'

Old October 11th 07, 04:18 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning
Mike Noel

It looks interesting and it's being designed by some sharp young engineers.
Perhaps this time with new technologies it will have legs.

--
Best Regards,
Mike

http://photoshow.comcast.net/mikenoel

A frog in a well does not know the great sea.
ups.com...

Old October 11th 07, 04:25 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning

John wrote:
I've seen a small blurb about another attempt to build a flying car.
You would think that people would learn from history. I have never
really seen the attraction. You end up with something that is neither
a car or a plane. As for me when I do go flying I want to be as far
from cars and everything else earthbound as possible.

John Dupre'

There's also the minor problem that the current certification
requirements (at least in the US) are pretty much in conflict for
the two types of vehicles.

--
Jim Pennino

Remove .spam.sux to reply.
Old October 12th 07, 02:39 AM posted to rec.aviation.owning
Dave[_5_]

There's also the minor problem that the current certification
requirements (at least in the US) are pretty much in conflict for
the two types of vehicles.

The solution is to make it a three-wheeler. Then, by decree of DOT,
it's a motorcycle - and the certification requirements are vastly
simplified.

David Johnson

Old October 12th 07, 06:10 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning
Robert M. Gary

On Oct 11, 8:18 am, "Mike Noel" wrote:
It looks interesting and it's being designed by some sharp young engineers.
Perhaps this time with new technologies it will have legs.

Yep. I think their estimated date for a production ready model is
2002. At least that was what the date of the highly talked about model
from UC Davis was.

-Robert

Old October 12th 07, 09:44 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning
Robert M. Gary

On Oct 11, 6:39 pm, Dave wrote:
There's also the minor problem that the current certification
requirements (at least in the US) are pretty much in conflict for
the two types of vehicles.

The solution is to make it a three-wheeler. Then, by decree of DOT,
it's a motorcycle - and the certification requirements are vastly
simplified.

My Mooney is a 3 wheeler.

Old October 13th 07, 12:00 AM posted to rec.aviation.owning
Mike Noel

The first time I became aware of it was at OSH in 2006. I think the current
prediction for availability is around 2009.

http://www.terrafugia.com/index.html

--
Best Regards,
Mike

http://photoshow.comcast.net/mikenoel

A frog in a well does not know the great sea.
ups.com...

Old October 13th 07, 01:47 AM posted to rec.aviation.owning
Robert M. Gary

On Oct 12, 4:00 pm, "Mike Noel" wrote:
The first time I became aware of it was at OSH in 2006. I think the current
prediction for availability is around 2009.

http://www.terrafugia.com/index.html

That's not impressive. Its just a small airplane with a 550lb useful
load that happens to have bigger wheels. The future air/car things
were suppose to not require a pilot, etc.

-Robert

Old October 13th 07, 04:43 AM posted to rec.aviation.owning
Orval Fairbairn

In article .com,
"Robert M. Gary" wrote:

On Oct 12, 4:00 pm, "Mike Noel" wrote:
The first time I became aware of it was at OSH in 2006. I think the current
prediction for availability is around 2009.

http://www.terrafugia.com/index.html

That's not impressive. Its just a small airplane with a 550lb useful
load that happens to have bigger wheels. The future air/car things
were suppose to not require a pilot, etc.

-Robert

It looks as if the aerodynamicists have been on break too long! There
are several areas of major interference drag; structure looks iffy, too.

All previous attempts have resulted in an inferior car coupled with an
inferior plane -- or worse!

I have little faith in this one, either.
Old October 14th 07, 05:24 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning
Phil

On Oct 12, 7:47 pm, "Robert M. Gary" wrote:
On Oct 12, 4:00 pm, "Mike Noel" wrote:

The first time I became aware of it was at OSH in 2006. I think the current
prediction for availability is around 2009.

http://www.terrafugia.com/index.html

That's not impressive. Its just a small airplane with a 550lb useful
load that happens to have bigger wheels. The future air/car things
were suppose to not require a pilot, etc.

-Robert

If they manage to get a 550 pound useful load, I will be very
surprised. That would mean an empty weight of 770 pounds. And that
is with a transmission to drive the wheels on the ground, a stiff
enough chassis for driving on the ground, steering, suspension,
airbags, and of course the mechanism to fold the wings. This is in
addition to all the normal aircraft equipment.

Phil