Harriers in mothballs

Old April 18th 11, 02:08 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.aviation
Don Hurshman

Default Harriers in mothballs

Article in the Sun newspaper says Britain is spending
30 million pounds a week for launching their attacks
from bases in Italy. Crews, ground staff, fuel, ammo.
But they could have used Harriers from an aircraft
carrier for 40 million pounds a year, go figure.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg Harriers to be scrapped.jpg (85.4 KB, 43 views)
Old April 18th 11, 10:20 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.aviation
Glenn[_2_]

In Australia, we sold a RAAF Base for about 10 million, and rented it out
for more than that in about 3 years. I know they pay 4 million a year for
the use of one small area. That doesn't include the rent int he new
buildings that the new owner built and rented back out to defence. The base
included all the married quarters and the civilian airport on the other
side.

But, we then spent 300 million dollars on the JSF project before we
committed to it just in case we wanted it cheaper. Seriously, does anyone in
Defence actually believe that would have happened.

Old April 19th 11, 09:12 AM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.aviation
Sly Fox

"Glenn" wrote in message
eb.com...
In Australia, we sold a RAAF Base for about 10 million, and rented it out
for more than that in about 3 years. I know they pay 4 million a year for
the use of one small area. That doesn't include the rent int he new
buildings that the new owner built and rented back out to defence. The
base included all the married quarters and the civilian airport on the
other side.

But, we then spent 300 million dollars on the JSF project before we
committed to it just in case we wanted it cheaper. Seriously, does anyone
in Defence actually believe that would have happened.

Defence spending seems devoid of all the usual economic justification that
other departments have to provide.
And what's worse ... no-one is ever held accountable for the monumental
waste on poorly executed projects and equipment that does not meet spec.
It's like - Who gives a rats when the money is not coming out of my pocket?