Garmin 530 question

Old April 22nd 06, 09:15 PM posted to rec.aviation.ifr

Default Garmin 530 question

Our club just got a 530 for one of our planes, and so before I fly it I'm
spending a lot of time with Garmin's simulator. So one of the flights I
do a lot is here (KROC) to Ottawa (CYOW) and back.

When I fly from Ottawa, I always get the OTTAWA ONE departure, which means
I put ASHTN and REEDO in my handheld GPS flight plan. But since the
manual tells me that I can select depature procedures in the 530, I
thought I could leave them off my flight plan on the 530 and have the
procedure loaded. But at least in the simulator, I have no such luck - I
can't select this departure procedure. Is this a limitation of the
simulator, or does the 530 not allow you to select departure procedures if
they're classified as "vector"?

--
Paul Tomblin http://xcski.com/blogs/pt/
Of course, I also got weird looks when I said that, as a kid, I watched the
Old April 23rd 06, 02:30 AM posted to rec.aviation.ifr

Paul Tomblin wrote:

Our club just got a 530 for one of our planes, and so before I fly it I'm
spending a lot of time with Garmin's simulator. So one of the flights I
do a lot is here (KROC) to Ottawa (CYOW) and back.

When I fly from Ottawa, I always get the OTTAWA ONE departure, which means
I put ASHTN and REEDO in my handheld GPS flight plan. But since the
manual tells me that I can select depature procedures in the 530, I
thought I could leave them off my flight plan on the 530 and have the
procedure loaded. But at least in the simulator, I have no such luck - I
can't select this departure procedure. Is this a limitation of the
simulator, or does the 530 not allow you to select departure procedures if
they're classified as "vector"?

If it is purely a vector departure; i.e., "fly xxx heading for vectors
to en route fix" then the 530 won't have those. Why should it? All you
do is fly an initial heading for vectors.
Old April 23rd 06, 04:28 AM posted to rec.aviation.ifr

In a previous article, Sam Spade said:
Paul Tomblin wrote:
can't select this departure procedure. Is this a limitation of the
simulator, or does the 530 not allow you to select departure procedures if
they're classified as "vector"?

If it is purely a vector departure; i.e., "fly xxx heading for vectors
to en route fix" then the 530 won't have those. Why should it? All you
do is fly an initial heading for vectors.

Well, it's vectors to several specific courses - for instance the way I go
it's vectors to intercept the R-199 from YOW somewhere between ASHTN and
REEDO. So it would be useful to have the GPS put ASHTN and REEDO in the
procedure.

--
Paul Tomblin http://xcski.com/blogs/pt/
When C++ is your hammer, everything looks like a thumb.
Old April 23rd 06, 10:59 AM posted to rec.aviation.ifr

Paul Tomblin wrote:

can't select this departure procedure. Is this a limitation of the
simulator, or does the 530 not allow you to select departure procedures if
they're classified as "vector"?

If it is purely a vector departure; i.e., "fly xxx heading for vectors
to en route fix" then the 530 won't have those. Why should it? All you
do is fly an initial heading for vectors.

Well, it's vectors to several specific courses - for instance the way I go
it's vectors to intercept the R-199 from YOW somewhere between ASHTN and
REEDO. So it would be useful to have the GPS put ASHTN and REEDO in the
procedure.

Garmin has no way of knowing which of many possible waypoints the vector
will take you to. So, you have to line select the waypoints and TF legs
appropriate to the vector. On the other hand, with a structured SID,
with very specific transitions, then Garmin has it all there; i.e., the
three elements: The SID, the runway, and the transition.

If a vector SID were to have structured, fix transitions published on
the source document, then Garmin would include those transitions in the
database.
Old April 24th 06, 04:36 PM posted to rec.aviation.ifr

Default IFR Current

Talking with a friend yesterday re currency. He said that you can
count approaches made in VMC with out hood. I said no, you need hood
and safety pilot. He said recent change made it ok in VMC without
hood.

Anyone heard of this?

Chuck

Old April 24th 06, 04:39 PM posted to rec.aviation.ifr

Talking with a friend yesterday re currency. He said that you can
count approaches made in VMC with out hood. I said no, you need hood
and safety pilot. He said recent change made it ok in VMC without
hood.

Anyone heard of this?

Nope. And it doesn't make sense.

Jose
--
The price of freedom is... well... freedom.
Old April 24th 06, 04:40 PM posted to rec.aviation.ifr

Chuck wrote:
Talking with a friend yesterday re currency. He said that you can
count approaches made in VMC with out hood. I said no, you need hood
and safety pilot. He said recent change made it ok in VMC without
hood.

Unless you can show me something official from the FAA, I say your
friend has no idea what he's talking about.
Old April 24th 06, 05:16 PM posted to rec.aviation.ifr

On 04/24/06 08:36, Chuck wrote:
Talking with a friend yesterday re currency. He said that you can
count approaches made in VMC with out hood. I said no, you need hood
and safety pilot. He said recent change made it ok in VMC without
hood.

Anyone heard of this?

Chuck

Hello, Chuck.

I think your friend is wrong. Have a look at CFR 61.57 (c), wherein
it states:

Instrument experience. Except as provided in paragraph (e) of this section,
no person may act as pilot in command under IFR or in weather conditions
less than the minimums prescribed for VFR, unless within the preceding 6
calendar months, that person has:

1) For the purpose of obtaining instrument experience in an aircraft
(other than a glider), performed and logged under actual or simulated
instrument conditions, either in flight in the appropriate category
of aircraft for the instrument privileges sought or in a flight
simulator or flight training device that is representative of the
aircraft category for the instrument privileges sought—

(i) At least six instrument approaches;

(ii) Holding procedures; and

(iii) Intercepting and tracking courses through the use of navigation
systems.

There are some exceptions in paragraph (e) which probably don't apply to
you or your friend, but you can look them up to make sure.

Can your friend show you the basis on which he makes this claim?

Cal Aggie Flying Farmers
Sacramento, CA
Old April 24th 06, 10:32 PM posted to rec.aviation.ifr

Chuck wrote:
Talking with a friend yesterday re currency. He said that you can
count approaches made in VMC with out hood. I said no, you need hood
and safety pilot. He said recent change made it ok in VMC without
hood.

Anyone heard of this?

No. Without some evidence of this, I think your friend is
hallucinating. :-)

Matt
Old April 25th 06, 02:48 AM posted to rec.aviation.ifr

On 4/24/06 5:32 PM, in article , "Matt
Whiting" wrote:

Chuck wrote:
Talking with a friend yesterday re currency. He said that you can
count approaches made in VMC with out hood. I said no, you need hood
and safety pilot. He said recent change made it ok in VMC without
hood.

Anyone heard of this?

No. Without some evidence of this, I think your friend is
hallucinating. :-)

Matt

....And probably not safe to fly with.
--
Jeff 'The Wizard of Draws' Bucchino

Cartoons with a Touch of Magic
http://www.wizardofdraws.com

More Cartoons with a Touch of Magic
http://www.cartoonclipart.com

Question on Aivdyne / Garmin Integrated Avionics Packages Jon Instrument Flight Rules 14 June 2nd 05 12:26 AM
Question on Aivdyne / Garmin Integrated Avionics Packages Jon Owning 14 June 2nd 05 12:26 AM
Garmin 296 worth the money? Terry Piloting 3 June 17th 04 07:24 AM
garmin 296 Robert M. Gary Piloting 1 June 16th 04 06:59 PM
Garmin 76S question Carl Buehler Soaring 2 April 30th 04 11:06 AM