IFR with a VFR GPS

Old November 9th 05, 02:51 AM
Wizard of Draws

Default IFR with a VFR GPS

OK, I broke down and sprung for the Lowrance Airmap 2000c instead of the
1000. Wow.

Normally I rent a plane that has a panel-mounted IFR certified Garmin 430,
but that may change due to circumstances beyond my control in a few months.

Obviously I can't file /G IFR without a proper IFR GPS, but this one will be
used as a backup and for cross-reference at the very least.

So...do I tell a briefer to note that I have a VFR GPS and will the
controllers take note, sending me direct, off airways? Will it make any
difference to them at all? Given the fact that nearly everyone has one
nowadays, will they assume I have a GPS even if I don't indicate it?
--
Jeff 'The Wizard of Draws' Bucchino

Cartoons with a Touch of Magic
http://www.wizardofdraws.com

More Cartoons with a Touch of Magic
http://www.cartoonclipart.com

Old November 9th 05, 03:11 AM
Bob Gardner

Tell them. Just as is the case with icing certification, the controllers are
not into law enforcement. Tell them you have a GPS and you will get all of
the benefits.

Bob Gardner

news:BF96C057.43EB4%jeffbREMOVE@REMOVEwizardofdraw s.com...

Old November 9th 05, 03:32 AM
A Lieberman

On Tue, 8 Nov 2005 18:11:56 -0800, Bob Gardner wrote:

Tell them. Just as is the case with icing certification, the controllers are
not into law enforcement. Tell them you have a GPS and you will get all of
the benefits.

Wouldn't it look odd if you file /a and request Direct?

Doesn't the GPS have to be en route certified? Heck the Garmin 296 has all
the approaches, but does not have the victor highways that I could see.

What would happen if your clearance got changed en route?

Or does that not happen when you file direct and fly off the airways?

Allen
Old November 9th 05, 03:52 AM
Victor J. Osborne, Jr.

I used to put VFR GPS in remarks and would get direct from some, others, no
way.

From Atlanta center or nearby approach controllers: 'Can you negotiate
direct XYZ? " Yes
"Then N6852F, cleared direct XYZ."

When I requested direct from Indy, they said no can do, you're not /Garmin.

Guess it matters who you ask.

Thx, {|;-)

Victor J. (Jim) Osborne, Jr.

Old November 9th 05, 04:08 AM
Mitty

Lately it seems like when I am in a /A airplane ATC assumes I have a hand-held
(sometimes I do, sometimes I don't) and gives me direct routing without my asking.

Then, flying into Winnipeg yesterday /G I got direct routing to a waypoint that
wasn't in the G430! Some days you can't win!

Old November 9th 05, 04:14 AM
Dan Luke

"A Lieberman" wrote:

Tell them. Just as is the case with icing certification, the
controllers are
not into law enforcement. Tell them you have a GPS and you will get
all of
the benefits.

Wouldn't it look odd if you file /a and request Direct?

Nope.

Doesn't the GPS have to be en route certified? Heck the Garmin 296
has all
the approaches, but does not have the victor highways that I could
see.
What would happen if your clearance got changed en route?

I'd put the NAVAIDS and intersections in the 296 and use it as an "aid
to situational awareness" as I flew the clearance.

Or does that not happen when you file direct and fly off the airways?

It happens often, especially when you fly into big city airspace. I
always get cleared direct from Mobile to Houston or Dallas, but then
Center always amends my clearance before I get to the Bravo airspace.

--
Dan
C172RG at BFM

Old November 9th 05, 04:39 AM
Steven P. McNicoll

"Wizard of Draws" wrote in message
news:BF96C057.43EB4%jeffbREMOVE@REMOVEwizardofdraw s.com...

So...do I tell a briefer to note that I have a VFR GPS and will the
controllers take note, sending me direct, off airways? Will it make any
difference to them at all? Given the fact that nearly everyone has one
nowadays, will they assume I have a GPS even if I don't indicate it?

If you file off airways and if radar monitoring can be provided and if
specific routing is not required for your departure/destination airport then
you'll get direct routing. Indicating you have a VFR GPS makes no
difference.

Old November 9th 05, 04:39 AM
A Lieberman

On Tue, 8 Nov 2005 21:14:11 -0600, Dan Luke wrote:

Hey Dan,

Thanks for responding.

It happens often, especially when you fly into big city airspace. I
always get cleared direct from Mobile to Houston or Dallas, but then
Center always amends my clearance before I get to the Bravo airspace.

Can I assume that the amendment would be vectors to an approach or an
arrival procedure where ATC will vector you?

Or is it assumed you will know how to get on the airway from a non standard
"entry" from a direct routing you are on?

I ask this as I am planning a trip up to Ohio which would take me through
Cincinnati Bravo from Owensboro KY to Stuebenville Ohio.

I would assume, that I get my clearance direct from OWB to 2G2, but expect
vectors in and around Cincy Bravo "for traffic". Would this be the
amendment you would be talking about?

Allen
Old November 9th 05, 04:41 AM
Steven P. McNicoll

"A Lieberman" wrote in message

Wouldn't it look odd if you file /a and request Direct?

It's done regularly and has been for years.

Doesn't the GPS have to be en route certified?

Nope.

What would happen if your clearance got changed en route?

The same thing that happens without GPS. You fly a new clearance.

Old November 9th 05, 05:20 AM
Dan Luke

"A Lieberman" wrote:

It happens often, especially when you fly into big city airspace. I
always get cleared direct from Mobile to Houston or Dallas, but then
Center always amends my clearance before I get to the Bravo airspace.

Can I assume that the amendment would be vectors to an approach or an
arrival procedure where ATC will vector you?

Yes. Going into HOU or DAL it's usually a STAR.

Or is it assumed you will know how to get on the airway from a non
standard
"entry" from a direct routing you are on?

Well, I've never been directed to join an airway without being given a
heading to fly to do it. If ATC has a route change for you, it will
usually begin with a fix, such as "direct Gregg County (VOR), DUMPY2
arrival, direct."

I ask this as I am planning a trip up to Ohio which would take me
through
Cincinnati Bravo from Owensboro KY to Stuebenville Ohio.

I would assume, that I get my clearance direct from OWB to 2G2, but
expect
vectors in and around Cincy Bravo "for traffic". Would this be the
amendment you would be talking about?

Well, vectors for traffic can happen any time in busy airspace, but
usually don't involve route waypoint changes. Once the traffic is no
factor, they'll tell you to resume own navigation, IOW, head for the
next fix or get back on the airway, if that was your clearance.

However, the TRACON might have regular routes for transients to fly
through parts of its airspace. If that's the case, you'll probably be
given the change before you get there. That will give you a little time
to set up your NAV gear.

If you're not landing there or busting through one of their approach or
departure corridors, you may not get any change at all.

--
Dan
C172RG at BFM