More Vario Questions - ClearNav

Old June 7th 12, 04:03 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
SteveB_Z5

Default More Vario Questions - ClearNav

So as not to help hijack the Butterfly/V7 thread... Does anyone have
comments on the ClearNav vario? I'm looking for better wind info than
my LNav gives.
Old June 7th 12, 05:38 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Alpha Eight

I installed Clear Nav vario prior to flying the 15-meter nationals at
Mifflin and found it to be excellent, much better than the 302 which
is right beside it. The unit is very capable on a technical level and
instant winds are in the feature set which will be a big improvement
over the L-NAV. It is good now but the real excitement for this vario
is in the future as various features are added through software
upgrades, including communicating with other devices compatible with
the CAI 302. The functionality of the audio is especially helpful. The
CN Vairo provides better gust filtering which cuts down on the false
indications of lift especially in cruise. During a rain day at
Mifflin I sat in on a management meeting for the Clear Nav group and
was impressed by their direction.
Old June 7th 12, 07:42 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

I installed my Clear Nav Vario several weeks ago and have been very happy. The gust filtering seems especially good and I like the function to adjust the response time. Got it at 2 1/2 sec right now which seems about right, but I am also going to try it with a little shorter time to see how that works. I agree with A8, the really good stuff is coming in the future, hopefully sooner than later, as they add additional features and connection to clear nav itself.

ASW27BV
Old June 10th 12, 11:35 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Christoph Barniske

I had my first flights with the Clear Nav vario yesterday and can
agree with what has already been stated here. I installed it as a
replacement for my old Zander 820D. The Clear Nav vario is faster but
does not act nervous. It also has much better gust filtering. The
ClearNav is the best variometer I have flown with so far. The software
is not yet in its final state and some issues still exist, but they
will be solved in the near future.

The sensor system can be installed seperately from the vario
indicator, but it also needs quite some space since the pneumatic
connectors are located sideways on the box. I'd also prefer a plug
system for the electric connectors instead of the simple connectors in
which each cable has to be mounted seperately.

Best,
Christoph

Old June 12th 12, 02:24 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
joesimmers[_2_]

I have approx. 30+ hours flying time with a cn vario, I honestly feel I am stopping less often to turn in dud thermals than I was with my 302.

I love the readability and simpleness of the screen readout, I also love the stop watch which starts at the beginning of each thermal for a very easy math calculation of your entire climb height in the current thermal and nice reference of exactly how long you have been climbing.

So far I am a happy camper and it is only going to get better with each upgrade which can be done easily with a usb memory stick.

ClearNav vs. LX 9000 Mitch Polinsky Soaring 9 September 4th 11 04:46 PM
ClearNav Vario Paul Remde Soaring 5 January 9th 11 12:34 AM
$1500 ClearNav... sisu1a Soaring 1 January 8th 11 05:01 AM
ClearNav too big? brianDG303 Soaring 9 June 13th 08 07:15 PM
NK ClearNav Update Paul Remde Soaring 4 February 4th 08 02:31 PM