Recording Hobbs

Old December 5th 06, 11:34 PM posted to rec.aviation.student,rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.owning
BG

Default Recording Hobbs

Does anyone use a PDA to record in a small spreadsheet the departure
airport, your destination airport, and the Hobbs & Tach readings when
you land? If so, what would be the brand and the main features of the
PDA? Thanks

Old December 5th 06, 11:38 PM posted to rec.aviation.student,rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.owning
Jose[_1_]

Does anyone use a PDA to record in a small spreadsheet the departure
airport, your destination airport, and the Hobbs & Tach readings when
you land? If so, what would be the brand and the main features of the
PDA? Thanks

I don't, although I will sometimes record (temporarily) in my Palm
(Tungsten E) the hobbs and tach numbers until I can transfer them to my
paper logbook. My palm came with Documents To Go, which lets me work
with Excel spreadsheets. It also has a sketchpad function which I use
to scrawl the numbers until I get to my logbook.

For what you are asking, just about any PDA should do fine.

Jose
--
"There are 3 secrets to the perfect landing. Unfortunately, nobody knows
what they are." - (mike).
Old December 6th 06, 01:52 AM posted to rec.aviation.student,rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.owning
BT

I do the same with my Palm Z22, it has a note pad feature that turns the
tough screen into a note pad. Just scribble away.
Temporary document until I can transfer it to my personal log book. I do the
same with logging time with my students.

Any PDA with a spreadsheet function will do what you want.

BT

t...

Old December 6th 06, 04:37 AM posted to rec.aviation.student,rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.owning
Andrew Sarangan

I don't know why you would need to write them down with such precision.
Is it for tax purposes? Or is it an employer requirement? If it is just
for the personal logbook, I don't see why you need a PDA to do this.
Just remember it in your head, or write it down on a scrap piece of
paper until you get home.

Old December 6th 06, 09:00 AM posted to rec.aviation.student,rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.owning
Travis Marlatte

ups.com...

BG wrote:
Does anyone use a PDA to record in a small spreadsheet the departure
airport, your destination airport, and the Hobbs & Tach readings when
you land? If so, what would be the brand and the main features of the
PDA? Thanks

I have a PocketPC with a small version of Excel. I have a W&B (including the
chart) customized for my plane. The Lake is somewhat CG limited. It's easy
to be too far aft starting out. And just as easy to be too far forward after
fuel burns off. So anything other than typical loads gets put in to check
the range as fuel burns. My chart plots the line from starting fuel down to
5 gal. remaining. I figure if I have less than 5 gal, a little forward CG is
the least of my problems.

I do have an Excel file with my flight information. I use it as an easier
way to determine flight currency for medical applications, insurance forms,
IFR currency, and the trivial passenger currency. It's also a backup, in
case I lose my logbook.

It's kind of nice to be able to crunch Excel formulae to determine, for
example, how many hours do I have in C172s? in the last six months. At
night. Solo.

I have a section at the bottom that lists the typical currency numbers and
displays colored text to warn me that I need to, for example, get some IFR
approaches in before it's too late.

I do copy this chart to my PocketPC but I don't enter numbers using the PDA.
Too small and I really want the master on my PC anyway. I have flight note
sheets in my kneeboard that have a customized form at the top with room for
start-up/shutdown time, start-up/shutdown tach, start-up/shutdown hobbs, and
othe stuff. One sheet per flight. I collect them and transfer the info to my
logbook and the Excel file periodically.

-------------------------------
Travis
Lake N3094P
PWK

Old December 6th 06, 02:05 PM posted to rec.aviation.student,rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.owning
B A R R Y[_2_]

BG wrote:
Does anyone use a PDA to record in a small spreadsheet the departure
airport, your destination airport, and the Hobbs & Tach readings when
you land?

I do it with a paper kneeboard fuel log form created in Excel. The
kneeboard is already there, the PDA isn't. When I get home or to a
hotel, the fuel log easily recreates my log entries. I only bother with
tach time as a reality check, because we've had two occasions in two
years where the Hobbs didn't move.

The log lists start times, start fuel, and on/off times for each tank.
I verify each time I land, and enter any added fuel as necessary during
the trip. There is blank space at the bottom of the form for random
notes, ATIS ID's etc...

My PDA does have a weight and balance spreadsheet I created that works
very well for on the spot W&B.
Old December 7th 06, 12:49 PM posted to rec.aviation.student,rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.owning
Timmay

BG wrote:
Does anyone use a PDA to record in a small spreadsheet the departure
airport, your destination airport, and the Hobbs & Tach readings when
you land? If so, what would be the brand and the main features of the
PDA? Thanks

A PDA? Are you kidding? I'm a flight instructor, I barely have enough
money for gas to get out to the airport. Someday I HOPE to have some
form of PDA or the like, but I get by just fine with a clipboard and
paper.

Old December 7th 06, 01:04 PM posted to rec.aviation.student,rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.owning
Steve Foley

"BG" wrote in message
ps.com...
Does anyone use a PDA to record in a small spreadsheet the departure
airport, your destination airport, and the Hobbs & Tach readings when
you land? If so, what would be the brand and the main features of the
PDA? Thanks

I use a Palm Treo. Any Palm will do:

It the calander, on the date and time you fly, enter

HOBBS - KORL - KORD - 1234.2 - 2299.8

When you want to see them, simply search for HOBBS: It will display every
entry.

Old December 7th 06, 02:40 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning
Jim Carter[_1_]

Posted At: Thursday, December 07, 2006 5:50 AM
Posted To: rec.aviation.owning
Conversation: Recording Hobbs
Subject: Recording Hobbs

BG wrote:
Does anyone use a PDA to record in a small spreadsheet the departure
airport, your destination airport, and the Hobbs & Tach readings

when
you land? If so, what would be the brand and the main features of

the
PDA? Thanks

A PDA? Are you kidding? I'm a flight instructor, I barely have enough
money for gas to get out to the airport. Someday I HOPE to have some
form of PDA or the like, but I get by just fine with a clipboard and
paper.

Finally, a post that is completely believable...

Recording Hobbs BG Piloting 11 December 7th 06 01:04 PM
fwd: For Hobbs Jack Soaring 9 November 26th 06 06:28 AM
Engine noise recording in Motor Gliders Ian Strachan Soaring 2 October 16th 06 12:32 PM
Camping at Hobbs (USA): Frugal or Folly? Chip Bearden Soaring 9 July 14th 04 05:39 PM