RIP Barron Hilton

Old September 22nd 19, 10:38 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Pasi Pulkkinen

Default RIP Barron Hilton

Great man.
Old September 22nd 19, 11:15 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Pasi Pulkkinen

On Sunday, September 22, 2019 at 12:38:37 PM UTC+3, Pasi Pulkkinen wrote:
Great man.

https://www.foxnews.com/lifestyle/ho...on-hilton-dies
Old September 22nd 19, 01:38 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Jonathan St. Cloud

On Sunday, September 22, 2019 at 2:38:37 AM UTC-7, Pasi Pulkkinen wrote:
Great man.

I had the opportunity to meet Baron and spend some time with him over the course of several years. He was unique among men and among men of accomplishment. Whenever I spoke him Barron he made you feel as if you had his 100 percent attention and he was truly interested in what you had to say. I don't believe I have met a person whom listened more deeply no matter what your position in life. He was a loyal friend and employer keep a pilot on payroll after he lost his medical. He ws a humble gregarious man, I am glad to have known him.
Old September 22nd 19, 03:43 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Sad news, a wonderfull guy, his kids... not so much.

I also had a chance to meet him one time when I landed out at his ranch on a diamond distance attempt. I was a just a kid at the time and did'nt really know who he was, I just needed a place to set her down and there was that nice handy strip. After I rolled to a stop a jeep came roaring up to me and this kid starts yelling at me about no being allowed to land there, its private etc etc. I had'nt even had a chance to get out of my bird yet. I was thjnking "oh boy, I'm in big pickle now !" I looked over and saw the guy driving the jeep was a big burley looking bearded guy, turned out to be one of the grounds workers. I was actually afraid to get out of my machine.

Thankfully, about this time an older gentleman came driving up in a cart. When he saw I was a kid, he had a big smile on his face and stuck out his hand asking me where I had started from and all about my flight. That was Mr Hilton. The Baron was the best!

The daughter, can't remember which one, never did smile. In her eyes I was an unwanted intrusion.
Old September 22nd 19, 07:36 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Pasi Pulkkinen

On Sunday, September 22, 2019 at 12:38:37 PM UTC+3, Pasi Pulkkinen wrote:
Great man.

I had opportunity to visit his ranch on several occassions and had an opportunity to play a game of backgammon. His note was "Usually there is bit higher wage on this table "
Old September 22nd 19, 08:46 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

A good time to re-watch The Quiet Challenge dvd and remember those that are no longer with us.
Old September 23rd 19, 08:27 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Great Man... Barron Hilton Cup was an example and an inspiration for me to organize invitational one class, two weeks gliding contest in Leszno, Poland in 1991, 1992, 1993. My goal in organizing this international contest, by sending personal invitations to the outstanding glider pilots all over the world, was to give the pilots, flying the same glider type Jantar Standard, an opportunity to exchange their experience and techniques, build up the community of like minded people.
22-28 participants from Australia, New Zealand, the UK, the USA,and Poland, met in a friendly competition. They raced gliders over Poland, they made friends, establishing long lasting ties with the follow-up visits to each other's countries. The winner of the Contest in 1992 was Ivan Evans, New Zealand's champion.
Today, 27 years later, I recollect this event with great satisfaction as my goal was achieved. Got idea from Barron Hilton.
There is a big permanent landmark called "Hilton" a mile West of Leszno airfield, huge grain elevator named "Hilton" by American pilots.
"Hilton" grain storage at 1:16
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rz2LVcfXrPs&t=59s
Old September 23rd 19, 08:38 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Barron Hilton, aviation loving generous man.
http://airportjournals.com/barron-hi...ing-innkeeper/
Old September 23rd 19, 03:31 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Dan Daly[_2_]

On Sunday, September 22, 2019 at 6:16:00 AM UTC-4, Pasi Pulkkinen wrote:
On Sunday, September 22, 2019 at 12:38:37 PM UTC+3, Pasi Pulkkinen wrote:
Great man.

https://www.foxnews.com/lifestyle/ho...on-hilton-dies

I remember staying in one of his hotels, and seeing "Action Zone - Glider Plane" (if I recall the title correctly) about the BHC at the ranch. Great video - wish it were online.

2D
Old September 23rd 19, 03:46 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Joel Flamenbaum[_2_]

On Sunday, September 22, 2019 at 12:46:41 PM UTC-7, wrote:
A good time to re-watch The Quiet Challenge dvd and remember those that are no longer with us.

Amen