Favorite Aviation Films

Old April 18th 20, 10:40 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Default Favorite Aviation Films

On Saturday, April 18, 2020 at 4:17:41 PM UTC-4, wrote:
Gypsy Moths with Burt Lancaster, Deborah Kerr and Gene Hackman.

"When the ground comes up at you like a sledgehammer, and the sweat freezes on your brow; when jumping isn't only a way to live, but a way to die, too... you're a Gypsy Moth."

Gypsy Moths is great, old tyme wingsuiting. They had to get a waiver to jump the thing.
Old April 18th 20, 11:38 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Dan Marotta

Hmmmm...Â* My wife and I tried very hard to watch Catch 22 just a couple
of months ago.Â* We got disgusted with all the double talk and turned it
off.Â* Maybe the book was better than the movie.

BTW, I believe the author, Joseph Heller, was captured in Europe by the
Germans and was aboard a POW train that was attacked by allied aircraft.

On 4/18/2020 12:02 PM, Frank Whiteley wrote:
On Saturday, April 18, 2020 at 6:59:25 AM UTC-6, Bob Whelan wrote:
On 4/17/2020 4:28 PM, Martin Gregorie wrote:
On Fri, 17 Apr 2020 10:45:57 -0700, sgs135c wrote:

Flight of the Phoenix was neat, especially as they actually built and
flew the aircraft - but a black spot is that Mantz was killed doing so.
The film wasn't worth that. Which reminds me, Scholl died doing shots for
Top Gun - jeezthis make-believe is dangerous!
I've seen the film and read the book. The book was better.

"Ditto" on the FotP book/film comparison. Has anyone ever seen a film they
considered better than the book from which it was derived? (Musta been a
really lousy book IMO, dry chuckle...)

---
https://www.avg.com

Catch 22, book and film both excellent.

--
Dan, 5J
Old April 18th 20, 11:39 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Dan Marotta

Cool!Â* Thanks for the information on abandoned airstrips.

On 4/18/2020 1:46 PM, wrote:
On Friday, April 17, 2020 at 7:42:27 PM UTC-5, Dan Marotta wrote:
The Blue Max...Â* All of the airplanes built for that movie lived at a
grass strip between Dallas and Denton, TX.Â* I landed a Stearman there in
1985 and had a tour.Â* Really nice.

It's listed on the Abandoned Airfields website:
http://www.airfields-freeman.com/index.htm

Hartlee Airfield was the best grass strip in Dallas. http://www.airfields-freeman.com/TX/...NE.htm#hartlee

I owned a J3 in the early 90's and we could still land there.

If you have endless time, look up abandoned airstrips in your area.

Bob

--
Dan, 5J
Old April 19th 20, 01:27 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Duster[_2_]

A bit surprised that nobody appears to have mentioned a most famous soaring pilot who flew the planes in "Those Magnificent Men in their Flying Machines" "Blue Max", "Darling Lilli", "Chitty Chitty Bang Band", "Villa Rides", "Von Richtofen and Brown" among others, who passed away last year.
Old April 19th 20, 02:12 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

On Friday, April 17, 2020 at 10:20:10 AM UTC-4, Nick Kennedy wrote:
Lockdown and self isolation continues in Telluride Colorado
What are your favorite Aviation based movies?
A couple of mine are Jimmy Stewart in the original Flight of the Phoenix.
Another, made more recently, is Tom Cruise in Made In America, if you haven't seen this its well worth a watch, lotta good flying in there.
Top Gun, of course, is on this list too. Motorcycles, Fighters, smoking HOT women, what more is there to life?
What are some of your favorites?
Nick

633 Squadron
Strategic Air Command
Twelve O’clock High
High Road to China
The Hunters
Old April 19th 20, 02:41 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Nobody consider Wings from 1927?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yrVY8ukOl88
Some good footage of WW1 fighters.

And nobody mentioned the two versions of the Thomas Crown Affair, which feature gliders flying.

Old April 19th 20, 05:34 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
John DeRosa OHM Ω http://aviation.derosaweb.net

Any aviation movie that the stunts were performed by Derek Piggot, Paul Mantz or Frank Tallman.
Old April 19th 20, 06:56 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Duster[_2_]

On Saturday, April 18, 2020 at 7:27:26 PM UTC-5, Duster wrote:
A bit surprised that nobody appears to have mentioned a most famous soaring pilot who flew the planes in "Those Magnificent Men in their Flying Machines" "Blue Max", "Darling Lilli", "Chitty Chitty Bang Band", "Villa Rides", "Von Richtofen and Brown" among others, who passed away last year.

A: Derek Piggott

Old April 19th 20, 10:35 AM
Ventus_a Ventus_a is offline
Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick Kennedy[_3_] View Post
Lockdown and self isolation continues in Telluride Colorado
What are your favorite Aviation based movies?
A couple of mine are Jimmy Stewart in the original Flight of the Phoenix.
Another, made more recently, is Tom Cruise in Made In America, if you haven't seen this its well worth a watch, lotta good flying in there.
Top Gun, of course, is on this list too. Motorcycles, Fighters, smoking HOT women, what more is there to life?
What are some of your favorites?
Nick
Not a movie but William Conrad as Frank Cannon flying a Caproni in one episode. I was in my teens and just started gliding when I saw that

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0066636/?ref_=ttep_ep_tt