GDL 90 on XCSoar

Old March 16th 21, 12:19 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Bogdan Manoiu Bogdan Manoiu is offline
Junior Member

Default GDL 90 on XCSoar

On Wednesday, November 11, 2020 at 12:57:12 AM UTC, wrote:
I'm looking for people to test my translation script from GDL 90 to NMEA so that a Stratux (1090/978 dual band ADS-B in) can connect and display traffic on XCSoar. If there's interest I can post some instructions. You need some experience with configuring XCSoar devices and placing a file on the android from a computer via USB.

I got tired of waiting for XCSoar to natively accept GDL 90 and also Stratux to output NMEA. The script is written in python and runs on the android device connected to the Stratux wifi. I also added in some text to speech to announce traffic when it's near.

In addition, I'm looking to test with other GDL 90 ADS-B receivers. I'm especially curious on the "Foreflight required" devices like Scout/Sentry Mini/Sentry. If anyone has one I can borrow, I'll gladly pay shipping.

Is there any interest?

Good afternoon,

I tried installing the Python script so I can view traffic from my SkyEcho2 on XCSoar but it does not seem to work.

I get an error: Attribute Error: module pynmea2 has not attribute LAU

in line 282 PFLAU=pynmea1.LAU('PF'......

Any idea what is triggering this? Incorrect installation of pynmea2? Any ideas how to fix it?

Thanks a lot!

Bogdan
Old March 16th 21, 02:49 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Davis Chappins

Bogdan,

I'm assuming you got Pynmea2 from their github or from Python's pip install.. Whoever maintains pynmea2 hasn't updated that package to include LAU and LAA support yet.

Go here https://github.com/DavisChappins/GDL90toNMEA and follow step 3, you need my custom pynmea2 folder. The only change in the pynmea2 folder hosted by me and the default one is that I updated talker.py to include LAU and LAA sentences. I guess if you wanted you can just replace talker.py.

The SkyEcho2 outputs UDP on port 4000? If it uses a different port you can change line 83 in the script to listen to whatever port you need.
Old March 18th 21, 11:50 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Bogdan Manoiu Bogdan Manoiu is offline
Junior Member

Good morning Davis,

You were right, I had the wrong pynmea2 package, I used the correct one and the Python code started working.

XCSoar shows "Connected, Flarm" but I can't see any traffic displayed on the XCSoar Map. I see Skyecho UDP port is also 4000 so that is not the issue.

The port monitor on XCSoar only shows the $PFLAU....but I can see on another device connected to Skyecho Transponder traffic in the vicinity.

Any ideas where the problem might be?

Thanks again,

Bogdan

Old March 18th 21, 06:38 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Davis Chappins

A couple of things to try:

Use the script hosted in github, not the earlier one in this thread on google drive.

The script requires GPS location as NMEA is a relative format using bearing and distance for targets, instead of using lat/lon directly. It may be that you need to set the device outside for a bit.

Verify SkyEcho is sending UDP data to the android's IP containing traffic, you can view the raw UDP stream using an android app called UDP Monitor. Connect to the SkyEcho wifi, configure it to listed to port 4000 and you should see hex data streaming in. Traffic objects start with "7e14". There should be many of them. If you use UDP monitor you may have to restart the android phone before switching to the script.

The script only passes aircraft within 60km but it's unlikely you have no aircraft within that range.
Old March 19th 21, 04:52 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Davis Chappins

Looking at your traffic image, the target is 5700km away. Based on your location in the UK you're about 5700km north of lat/lon 0/0. I think the SkyEcho isn't sending ownship position so the script never updates from the defaulted 0/0.

Uncomment lines 136 and 138 so it prints ownship lat/lon and altitude. #print(ownship.latitude , ownship.longitude) #print('baro altitide:',ownship.altitude)

The NMEA protocol which XCSoar accepts relies on relative bearing and distance which requires an ownship position to calculate. Is your SkyEcho outside? It could be that its not receiving a GPS signal. You'd never know using other software because all EFB programs using GDL90 locate traffic with absolute lat lon.

Old March 25th 21, 02:15 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Bogdan Manoiu Bogdan Manoiu is offline
Junior Member

Good afternoon Davis,

It seems that for someĀ*reason SkyEcho does not transmit ownship report or ownship geometric altitude as per GDL90 protocol...weirdly the UDP Monitor revealed no message with 0x0a or 0x0b in the header!

What puzzles me is that if I run the EasyVFR app it shows the correct current position (with phone internal GPS turned off) so SkyEcho seems to transmit its position but in a different way, possibly as a traffic report. (there are messages with 0x14 in the header that when decoded show SkyEchoxxx)

The only other messages received on the UDP port are 0x65 which I found to be ID messages but which do not contain the position and heartbeat messages..

Any ideas what else I can do?

Thanks,
Bogdan

XCSoar and V7 [email protected] Soaring 8 January 17th 14 10:19 PM
CAI-302 and XCSoar Dan Marotta Soaring 7 March 29th 12 09:55 PM
XCSoar in the UK Martin Gregorie[_5_] Soaring 0 August 10th 09 10:46 PM
XCSOAR Travis Beach[_2_] Soaring 3 May 24th 08 03:36 PM
XCSoar jorgie Soaring 2 November 2nd 04 01:05 AM