Golf Cart Starter Burn Out

Old June 3rd 21, 04:54 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
George Haeh

Default Golf Cart Starter Burn Out

We replaced the starter last September and the new one died last weekend.

It's covered by warranty, but the technician says the brushes were worn out and it was abused.

Is there something we should, or should not, be doing when pulling gliders with a golf cart?
Old June 3rd 21, 05:39 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Jonathan St. Cloud

Don't abuse it apparently!

Old June 3rd 21, 09:11 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
David Martin

It says starter so I am assuming a gas powered cart as opposed to batteries?
Old June 3rd 21, 09:14 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
George Haeh

Yes, gas powered.
Old June 3rd 21, 09:24 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Frank Whiteley

On Thursday, June 3, 2021 at 9:54:53 AM UTC-6, wrote:
We replaced the starter last September and the new one died last weekend.

It's covered by warranty, but the technician says the brushes were worn out and it was abused.

Is there something we should, or should not, be doing when pulling gliders with a golf cart?

We used a gas powered golf cart for several years. As we operate at 5500msl in the dry high plains of Colorado, dry grass and dust collected in the cooling vents of the motor and starter that caused both starter and engine problems. It actually cost us about $600/year in maintenance. $6000 (at the time) for a trouble free John Deere Gator type would have been as cheap without the issues. PGC had three and swore by them. We eventually bought a used Suzuki Samurai, $1500, which has been the cheapest and most capable field utility vehicle I've ever seen. Yes, it's had some issues, but price/performance has been unbeatable. Shortly after we bought it, they became cult classics and now, 10 plus years later, are much more expensive at $5000-$20,000+. The carburetor on the Suzuki was recently replaced and improved it once again.

Golf cart as a tug... Bastoune Soaring 14 June 26th 12 03:45 AM
Golf Cart Tugs Ashton Owning 1 September 3rd 04 02:51 PM
Golf Cart Tugs Ashton Owning 20 August 19th 04 06:19 PM
Golf Cart Tugs Ashton Owning 0 August 12th 04 03:08 PM
Golf Cart Tugs Ashton Piloting 0 August 12th 04 03:03 PM