A aviation & planes forum. AviationBanter

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Go Back   Home » AviationBanter forum » rec.aviation newsgroups » Soaring
Site Map Home Register Authors List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Web Partners

Mifflin photorealistic scenery for Condor - what needs to be in it?

Old January 7th 16, 02:53 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
[email protected]
external usenet poster

Default Mifflin photorealistic scenery for Condor - what needs to be in it?

This scenery is now available on the Harris Hill Soaring web server: http://www.harrishillsoaring.org/HHSC/Condor.html

Thanks to everyone for their inputs.
Old January 9th 16, 10:27 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
[email protected]
external usenet poster

On Wednesday, January 6, 2016 at 8:53:27 PM UTC-5, wrote:
This scenery is now available on the Harris Hill Soaring web server: http://www.harrishillsoaring.org/HHSC/Condor.html

One thing I noticed with a little fly-around in the HH scenery is that
Tri-Cities is mislocated as an airport. The airport symbol is about
a mile to the SW compared to where the airport is seen in the scenery.

Matt
Old January 11th 16, 06:59 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
[email protected]
external usenet poster

On Wednesday, January 6, 2016 at 8:53:27 PM UTC-5, wrote:

I was able to download and extract the first of the 6 files, but the other 5 give an error when trying to extract them. Anyone else having similar issues?

Chris
Old January 13th 16, 06:04 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
[email protected]
external usenet poster

If you want to make it realistic from a historical perspective, you could program in George Moffat in XX passing you by...
Old January 13th 16, 06:43 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
[email protected]
external usenet poster

Off topic I know but............

I saw that XX was returned to the SSA ID pool a while ago. I mentioned it to a friend of mine who was just a kid back in the day and used to crew for Bill Holbrook. George was one of his teen age heroes, so this captured his interest. He called George to inquire if this was a mistake or not. George said no, he was retiring and gave up the number.

My friend then called the SSA and suggested perhaps the number should be retired. They told him they didn't do that sort of thing, a bit understandable to a point as where would you draw the line. But then again..........

He then called the Soaring Museum and suggested they claim the number as a permanent and fitting home for it. They too said "no thanks" to the idea.

I would say his concern was that by just being a number in the pool it might go to someone who didn't appreciate it's history (both here and in Europe).

There is no real issue here to be raised, just thought I'd pass this short story along since XX was mentioned. XX is temporally out of the pool until someone suggests a fitting home for it. I suspect no one over 50 would fly it, as old people like my friend and I get sentimental about things like that.

Last thing, when asked by my friend why he chose XX, George told him that he changed gliders so often XX was the easiest number to "tape on" in a hurry.

GX