Catastrophic Decompression; Small Place Solo

Old December 31st 03, 05:52 PM
John Gaquin

I think what Kiwi meant was that you do the "burp & fart" going from SL to
250, when the pressure outside the body is decreasing, as opposed to from
250 to SL, as you posited, when the external pressure would be *increasing*
rapidly.

JG

"Kiwi Jet Jock" wrote in message
In the pressure chamber,
from 25000 to sea level is instantaneous and you do a sustained
burp-and-fart.

Bob Gardner

Other way around Bob. (sea level to 25,000)

No way. You start off at sea level,

Old December 31st 03, 06:24 PM
John Gaquin

"Bob Gardner" wrote in message news:JXDIb.16018

....With regard to the fog, however,
there has to be moisture from somewhere...simple expansion is not the

whole
story.

There is some moisture in the pressurization air pumped into the cabin, but
not much. More is absorbed from the bodies on board and evaporating water
and other fluids. Enough to condense when you rapidly drop the pressure
from around 800 to 300 mb.

JG

Old December 31st 03, 06:28 PM
John Gaquin

"Scott M. Kozel" wrote in message

How could an SST like the Concorde get from cruising altitude down to
10,000 feet in 3-5 minutes?

I'd guess about 3-4 minutes from FL600 to 10K. Just my guess, never read up
on the craft. But 12-15 K ft/m would not be unusual in an emergency
descent.

Regards,

John Gaquin
B727, B747

Old December 31st 03, 06:32 PM
Martin Hotze

On Wed, 31 Dec 2003 10:02:40 -0500, Ron Natalie wrote:

Well, the good stuff comes in chunks that you grate yourself. But most of America
eats this Kraft simulation that comes in a shaker can with a little twisty top on it.

*shudder*

#m
--
harsh regulations in North Korea (read below link after reading the story):
http://www.laweekly.com/ink/04/04/open-mikulan.php
Old December 31st 03, 06:35 PM
Ron Natalie

"Scott M. Kozel" wrote in message ...

How could an SST like the Concorde get from cruising altitude down to
10,000 feet in 3-5 minutes?

Push the yoke forward :-)

Old December 31st 03, 07:15 PM
Aardvark

Bob Gardner wrote:
Then comes the explosive decompression, which
takes the chamber from 25K back down to sea level in a second or two.

Bob Gardner

Just an observation......
Wouldn't the above statement be "implosive compression".

Not trying to stir the pot

WW

Old December 31st 03, 07:16 PM
Bob Gardner

Well, it's been awhile, John, and I can hardly remember things that happened
last week, much less things that happened in the 70s. However, I do not
recall anything odd happening to my body during the ascent to 25000 but do
recall my lips doing the blub-blub-blub thing during the decompression. As
the pressure in the chamber rapidly increased, it kinda pushed the trapped
gas out.

Bob

Old December 31st 03, 07:17 PM
Mike Rapoport

"Ralph Nesbitt" wrote in message
m...
Hopefully all realize when referring to "Air Pressure" at altitude this is
an "absolute" pressure value inside the fuselage irrespective of ambient.
When referring to air pressures at ground level the pressure reading is
above unadjusted ambient barometric pressure.

This is incorrect, pressurization is the differential between ambient and
cabin preasure.

Mike
MU-2

A/C pressure systems are set to operate from departure point. If set
manually from info provided by ATC this is "Unadjusted Barometric Presser"
read from an instrument at the base of the Tower, a specified height above
the ramp. Most modern commercial A/C are equipped with automatic systems
that capture relevant data upon command/that is reset for each flight.
Ralph Nesbitt
Professional FD/CFR/ARFF Type

Old December 31st 03, 07:31 PM
Robert Moore

"Ralph Nesbitt" wrote

Hopefully all realize when referring to "Air Pressure" at altitude this is
an "absolute" pressure value inside the fuselage irrespective of ambient.
When referring to air pressures at ground level the pressure reading is
above unadjusted ambient barometric pressure.

In the Boeing aircraft that I flew (B-727,B-707,B-720) there were two
gages on the FE's panel. One was a simple altimeter that indicated the
cabin altitude at all times and the other, a differential pressure gage
that indicated the difference in pressure between outside and inside.
The maximum differential for those aircraft was around 8.6 psi. The only
way to determine the absolute pressure inside the aircraft would be to use
a graph to convert the altimeter indication to pressure.

Bob Moore
Old December 31st 03, 07:31 PM
G.R. Patterson III

Jim Weir wrote:

There's a hell of a good question -- why did the OUTFLOW valve on the 727
(located on the starboard side of the aircraft back in the aft airstairs
compartment) have a FILTER on it?

Obviously to protect the people on the ground from the effects of secondary smoke.

George Patterson
Great discoveries are not announced with "Eureka!". What's usually said is
"Hummmmm... That's interesting...."