Lower Priced ADS-B Out Solution

Old March 20th 15, 02:46 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Dan Marotta

Default Lower Priced ADS-B Out Solution

A start in the right direction for those who feel they must have this:
http://www.aopa.org/News-and-Video/A...WT.mc_sect=tec
--
Dan Marotta

Old March 20th 15, 04:55 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

On Friday, March 20, 2015 at 10:46:07 AM UTC-4, Dan Marotta wrote:
A start in the right direction for those who feel they must have
this:* http://www.aopa.org/News-and-Video/A...WT.mc_sect=tec

--

Dan Marotta

UAT. Cue the usual argument. In short: skip this junk.

The other day I saw an article that indicated an approved GPS
source was being offered for $800. This is what you want to plug
into your existing Mode S transponder to get ADS-B out.
Unfortunately I can't find the article. I'm pretty sure it
was on eBrief, but there isn't a way to search their archives.
You can browse them one at a time but I'm not seeing the article now.

Matt
Old March 20th 15, 06:46 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Dan Marotta

Thanks, but no thanks. I will continue to not install expensive and non
required equipment in my glider. I only posted that for the techno-hogs
that need such stuff. :-P

Old March 20th 15, 11:33 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Bill T

But we need it for the Pawnee! We are inside the 30nm vail.
You will too if you tow above 10,000 MSL.

BillT
Old March 20th 15, 11:37 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Bill T

UAT out meets the requirement. Granted FLARM won't see UAT, but we only have one FLARM unit right now in the area.
TCAS gets an alert from my mode C, and the big boys with ADSB In will get the ADSB rebroadcast data from the ground station.

BillT
Old March 21st 15, 07:24 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Andy Blackburn[_3_]

On Friday, March 20, 2015 at 4:37:18 PM UTC-7, Bill T wrote:
UAT out meets the requirement. Granted FLARM won't see UAT, but we only have one FLARM unit right now in the area.
TCAS gets an alert from my mode C, and the big boys with ADSB In will get the ADSB rebroadcast data from the ground station.

BillT

Check the installation costs, including ADS-B antenna diversity requirements, plus maintenance for two separate transmitters (Mode C plus ADS-B UAT). Buying a single Mode S/1090ES Out may be a better option in the end.
Old March 21st 15, 12:53 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Bill T

Thanks Andy, will do. We have an ancient KT Mode C, we'll need to add approved GPS receiver, 1090ES and compatible altitude encoder, plus an ADS-B out box to tie together.

BillT
Old March 21st 15, 02:32 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Dan Marotta

Absolutely correct, Bill, but I tell all the glider pilots that I won't
tow them above 10K MSL since the tug doesn't have a transponder.
Besides, who needs to tow to 3,800' AGL? We don't have the problem that
you have with Las Vegas...

BTW, is there gonna be another ground launch weekend next month? We're
itching to try out our new RV (which we haven't taken delivery of as yet).

Dan

Old March 21st 15, 10:59 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Darryl Ramm

On Friday, March 20, 2015 at 7:46:07 AM UTC-7, Dan Marotta wrote:
A start in the right direction for those who feel they must have
this:* http://www.aopa.org/News-and-Video/A...WT.mc_sect=tec

--

Dan Marotta

Luckily we still have 5 years to go until FAA ADS-B Out carriage requirements could affect any tow plane. In those 5 years I expect you'll see lots of other low-cost ADS-B out solutions appear. Including combined transponder/1090ES Out/IFR GPS units, and besides better inter-operating with PowerFLARM's 1090ES input, those may be more interesting for folks with older transponders. Especially if they are drop in replacements for current transponders, especially transponders that may be getting less reliable and expensive to maintain. A single-box transponder also removes the issues Andy mentioned, which can get down to install/approval issues around antenna installs and common squawk code setting requirements, etc. -- all much easier if there is just a single integrated box.

Old March 22nd 15, 02:31 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Bill T

Dan we have the BLM reservation for the 17-18-19 of April. The Pawnee is in Parowan getting the wings recoverd. We are hoping it will be back in time to get us to the lake bed. Hard to move the 2-33 or Grob down there without it. I'll let you know.

It looks like Tonopah will the the 21st to 27th of June.
BillT