High-Resolution Rapid Refresh page not working

Old March 22nd 21, 01:30 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Eric Greenwell[_4_]

Default High-Resolution Rapid Refresh page not working

The High-Resolution Rapid Refresh (HRRR) page at

https://rapidrefresh.noaa.gov/hrrr/H...Mar+2021+-+10Z

shows all the normal information, but clicking links produces a page with "Error
Sorry, the server is currently unavailable. Please try again later". That began yesterday, and
is still there today. What are other people seeing?

Old March 22nd 21, 10:47 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Matthew Scutter[_2_]

On Monday, 22 March 2021 at 11:30:16 pm UTC+10, Eric Greenwell wrote:
The High-Resolution Rapid Refresh (HRRR) page at

https://rapidrefresh.noaa.gov/hrrr/H...Mar+2021+-+10Z

shows all the normal information, but clicking links produces a page with "Error
Sorry, the server is currently unavailable. Please try again later". That began yesterday, and
is still there today. What are other people seeing?

NCEP is doing upgrades today and has moved a lot of things around, so they probably broke a few of their own websites.

What chart are you trying to see? We can potentially add more HRRR charts to SkySight.
Old March 23rd 21, 01:24 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Eric Greenwell[_4_]

Matthew Scutter wrote on 3/22/2021 3:47 PM:
On Monday, 22 March 2021 at 11:30:16 pm UTC+10, Eric Greenwell wrote:
The High-Resolution Rapid Refresh (HRRR) page at

https://rapidrefresh.noaa.gov/hrrr/H...Mar+2021+-+10Z

shows all the normal information, but clicking links produces a page with "Error
Sorry, the server is currently unavailable. Please try again later". That began yesterday, and
is still there today. What are other people seeing?

NCEP is doing upgrades today and has moved a lot of things around, so they probably broke a few of their own websites.

What chart are you trying to see? We can potentially add more HRRR charts to SkySight.

I use the "mean vvel" loop in the morning (about 6 am) to give me a quick view of wave
potential in Washington and Oregon states for the day. It doesn't have the details Skysight
provides, but it's simple clarity means watching the loop for 10-15 seconds let's me decide
whether it's worth spending time digging into the Skysight details about lift strength, wind
speeds, clouds, etc.

I see the HRRR is working this morning, and I will not be digging into any wave details this
morning :^(

Instead, I will leisurely retrieve my motorglider that, despite it's awesome 600NM range, ended
up 25 miles short of it's destination. The winds were fine when I took off at 1pm, but were 50
degrees off the runway, strong, and (the killer) very turbulent when I returned. Fortunately,
the airport 25 miles away had lighter winds that were only 30 degrees off their runway. This
illustrates the value of even short self-retrieve ranges a motorglider, something often
overlooked by those with heightened range-anxiety.