A aviation & planes forum. AviationBanter

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Go Back   Home » AviationBanter forum » rec.aviation newsgroups » Soaring
Site Map Home Register Authors List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Web Partners

Oudie/Flarm alarm from my own ADS-B/Transponder

Old May 14th 21, 02:48 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Richard Livingston[_2_]
external usenet poster

Default Oudie/Flarm alarm from my own ADS-B/Transponder

I recently installed a Trig TT22 transponder in our LS6. Today I got to fly it for the first time and I was getting constant conflict alarms on my Oudie about traffic at (for e.g.) my "6 O'Clock and 35ft above me" The only way I could figure out how to silence these alarms was to set my transponder to "ON" (i.e. no altitude reporting). Naturally my PAPR report showed a failure on both pressure and GPS altitude.

I've been trying to figure out how to configure either the FLARM or the Oudie to ignore my own emissions but so far with no luck. Does anyone out there know how to fix this?

Rich L.
Old May 14th 21, 03:44 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
5Z
external usenet poster

Been there, done that!
You need to tell the FLARM to ignore your own Mode S/ADSB transmissions.
Key items in the config file are, I believe:
# Mode S code
$PFLAC,S,ID,xxxxxx
# configure aircraft type
$PFLAC,S,ACFT,1
# Mode C Filtering 0-Aggressive 1-Normal
$PFLAC,S,OWNMODEC,0

On Thursday, May 13, 2021 at 6:48:10 PM UTC-7, wrote:
I recently installed a Trig TT22 transponder in our LS6. Today I got to fly it for the first time and I was getting constant conflict alarms on my Oudie about traffic at (for e.g.) my "6 O'Clock and 35ft above me" The only way I could figure out how to silence these alarms was to set my transponder to "ON" (i.e. no altitude reporting). Naturally my PAPR report showed a failure on both pressure and GPS altitude.

I've been trying to figure out how to configure either the FLARM or the Oudie to ignore my own emissions but so far with no luck. Does anyone out there know how to fix this?

Rich L.

Old May 14th 21, 12:33 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Roy B.
external usenet poster

I had the same problem after I updated my FLARM firmware this year. I made the mistake of using the same memory stick that had last year's update on it. The problem was solved when I reloaded using a formatted stick with only the update on it. I also reloaded my config file from a previously formatted stick.

BUT: For some reason the problem still briefly re emerges when I fly near certain military installations. I don't understand why that happens - and it's only intermittent.
ROY
Old May 16th 21, 03:58 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Richard Livingston[_2_]
external usenet poster

Thanks to 5Z and Roy B. for their help. I adjusted the FLARM configuration file:
-My config file already had "$PFLAC,S,OWNMODEC,0", but I noticed that I had:
$PFLAC,S,MODEC,1
so I set it to:
$PFLAC,S,MODEC,0
-Per Roy B. I cleaned the FLARM SD chip and put only the latest firmware update and the config file
-I also made some adjustments to the transponder configuration to correct errors found on the PAPR report. One of those was that the aircraft ID was missing the "N". I corrected that in both the transponder and also the FLARM.

I don't know which of these changes fixed the problem, but I tested the system yesterday and I am no longer getting the conflicts.

Thanks again for the help!

Rich L.
Old May 16th 21, 10:03 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Roy B.
external usenet poster

I don't know which of these changes fixed the problem, but I tested the system yesterday and I am no longer getting the conflicts.

Rich
You are welcome. If the problem re-emerges intermiently, please let me know. Mine still does it once in a while. Yesterday in a 7.5 hour XC flight I got what I call the "chasing your own tail" alarm about 3 times that stopped when I hit the "dismiss" button. It seems to happen near a large Air Force base and a practice drop zone the AF uses. I have no idea why.
ROY

Old May 17th 21, 05:23 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Ramy[_2_]
external usenet poster

It was most certainly the aircraft ID.
But now you disabled mode c alerts all together. You may want to turn that back on.

Ramy

On Sunday, May 16, 2021 at 7:58:24 AM UTC-7, wrote:
Thanks to 5Z and Roy B. for their help. I adjusted the FLARM configuration file:
-My config file already had "$PFLAC,S,OWNMODEC,0", but I noticed that I had:
$PFLAC,S,MODEC,1
so I set it to:
$PFLAC,S,MODEC,0
-Per Roy B. I cleaned the FLARM SD chip and put only the latest firmware update and the config file
-I also made some adjustments to the transponder configuration to correct errors found on the PAPR report. One of those was that the aircraft ID was missing the "N". I corrected that in both the transponder and also the FLARM.

Thanks again for the help!

Rich L.

Old May 30th 21, 03:50 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Richard Livingston[_2_]
external usenet poster

On Monday, May 17, 2021 at 11:23:32 AM UTC-5, Ramy wrote:
But now you disabled mode c alerts all together. You may want to turn that back on.

Ramy

I re-enabled mode C yesterday and when flying again got the continuous conflict alerts. In flight I managed to turn the mode C off in the Flarm and the alerts went away. Is there something wrong with my configuration of the FLARM or transponder/ADSB that is causing this? My ADSB set up was just tested and passed, and I just generated a PAPR report for the flight yesterday and it was clean. I updated both my FLARM and Oudie firmware this year, so they should both be up to dare. My FLARM config file is:

################################################## ##################################
# This configuration file must be text only and reside in the top directory of the
# USB stick, SD card or FLARM Tool.
# This configuration file must be named FLARMCFG.TXT
# If you wish to change the settings, you can revisit the online configuration tool
# at any time: https://www.flarm.com
################################################## ##################################
$PFLAC,S,DEF
$PFLAC,S,ID,A4AA4E
$PFLAC,S,ACFT,1
$PFLAC,S,NMEAOUT,71
$PFLAC,S,BAUD,2
$PFLAC,S,RANGE,65535
$PFLAC,S,VRANGE,500
$PFLAC,S,XPDR,2
$PFLAC,S,MODESALT,1
$PFLAC,S,ADSBRANGE,65535
$PFLAC,S,ADSBVRANGE,65535
$PFLAC,S,ADSBWARNINGS,1
$PFLAC,S,PCASRANGE,9260
$PFLAC,S,PCASVRANGE,610
$PFLAC,S,MODEC,1
$PFLAC,S,OWNMODEC,0
$PFLAC,S,PCASCALIBRATION,60
$PFLAC,S,PCASBEEP,1
$PFLAC,S,PCASPFLAU,0
$PFLAC,S,REBROADCASTSERVICES,255
$PFLAC,S,AUDIOOUT,0
$PFLAC,S,AUDIOVOLUME,100
$PFLAC,S,LOGINT,1
$PFLAC,S,PILOT,Livingston/StClair/Bernatz
$PFLAC,S,GLIDERID,N40AF
$PFLAC,S,GLIDERTYPE,LS6a
$PFLAC,S,COMPCLASS,15m
$PFLAC,S,PRIV,0
$PFLAC,S,NOTRACK,0

Rich L.
Old May 30th 21, 09:12 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Richard Pfiffner[_2_]
external usenet poster

On Sunday, May 30, 2021 at 7:50:42 AM UTC-7, wrote:

Ramy

I re-enabled mode C yesterday and when flying again got the continuous conflict alerts. In flight I managed to turn the mode C off in the Flarm and the alerts went away. Is there something wrong with my configuration of the FLARM or transponder/ADSB that is causing this? My ADSB set up was just tested and passed, and I just generated a PAPR report for the flight yesterday and it was clean. I updated both my FLARM and Oudie firmware this year, so they should both be up to dare. My FLARM config file is:

# This configuration file must be text only and reside in the top directory of the
# USB stick, SD card or FLARM Tool.
# This configuration file must be named FLARMCFG.TXT
# If you wish to change the settings, you can revisit the online configuration tool
# at any time: https://www.flarm.com
$PFLAC,S,DEF
$PFLAC,S,ID,A4AA4E
$PFLAC,S,ACFT,1
$PFLAC,S,NMEAOUT,71
$PFLAC,S,BAUD,2
$PFLAC,S,RANGE,65535
$PFLAC,S,VRANGE,500
$PFLAC,S,XPDR,2
$PFLAC,S,MODESALT,1
$PFLAC,S,ADSBRANGE,65535
$PFLAC,S,ADSBWARNINGS,1
$PFLAC,S,PCASRANGE,9260
$PFLAC,S,PCASVRANGE,610
$PFLAC,S,MODEC,1
$PFLAC,S,OWNMODEC,0
$PFLAC,S,PCASCALIBRATION,60
$PFLAC,S,PCASBEEP,1
$PFLAC,S,PCASPFLAU,0
$PFLAC,S,REBROADCASTSERVICES,255
$PFLAC,S,AUDIOOUT,0
$PFLAC,S,AUDIOVOLUME,100
$PFLAC,S,LOGINT,1
$PFLAC,S,PILOT,Livingston/StClair/Bernatz
$PFLAC,S,GLIDERID,N40AF
$PFLAC,S,GLIDERTYPE,LS6a
$PFLAC,S,COMPCLASS,15m
$PFLAC,S,PRIV,0
$PFLAC,S,NOTRACK,0

Rich L.

Try $PFAC,S,MODESALT,0

Richard,
Old May 30th 21, 09:20 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Dan Daly[_2_]
external usenet poster

On Sunday, May 30, 2021 at 4:12:03 PM UTC-4, Richard Pfiffner wrote:
On Sunday, May 30, 2021 at 7:50:42 AM UTC-7, wrote:

Ramy

$PFLAC,S,ADSBRANGE,65535

Why are you asking for it to look for every ADS-B target with 65 km horizontally and vertically (215,000')? You might be overwhelming it and this is a symptom.

Old May 31st 21, 03:10 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Guy Acheson[_2_]
external usenet poster

Many of us depend upon configuration advice provided by the vendors.
I buy my stuff from Paul Remde (Cumulus Soaring).
Does anyone have concerns with how Paul advises to set-up the Flarm?