Hiroshima justified? (Invasion should have been attempted at the very least if not carried thru)

Old December 23rd 03, 03:15 AM
Greg Moritz

Default Hiroshima justified? (Invasion should have been attempted at the very least if not carried thru)

"Linda Terrell" wrote in message ...

what's wrong with ending a war as quickly as possible
and avoiding a costly invasion?

We had a weapon that could end that war in a matter of weeks or
days. So let's invade and drag it out for weeks and months so
we can "justify" ending it with a super weapon?

I lived with lots of Japanese folks and studied the language
with native speakers and they all agree that had Japan had such
a weapon, they would have used it. It seems that most of the
hand-wringing over the use of the bomb seems to come from
Americans.

Interestingly, the ignorance of Japanese atrocities is (from
my admittedly limited survey) nearly 100%. People in Taiwan
know all about the Rape of Nanking, but people in Japan don't
seem to know that it even happened.

Has anyone seen/heard any thing different? Just curious.

Also, does anyone know how this thread has managed to multiply
itself to a half dozen? Posts seem to have replicated into
duplicate threads. I post one time and see it four times.
Old December 23rd 03, 11:49 AM
Cub Driver

Interestingly, the ignorance of Japanese atrocities is (from
my admittedly limited survey) nearly 100%. People in Taiwan
know all about the Rape of Nanking, but people in Japan don't
seem to know that it even happened.

Or worse, they deny it. Even reputable historians like Ikuhiko Hata
have lent themselves to this bit of revisionism.

www.warbirdforum.com/deny.htm

all the best -- Dan Ford
email:

see the Warbird's Forum at
www.warbirdforum.com
and the Piper Cub Forum at www.pipercubforum.com
Old December 23rd 03, 03:58 PM
Matt Wiser

"Linda Terrell" wrote:

Also, to say Japanese would have died to the

last man in the case of
US invasion based on the evidence of the fanatical

fighting spirit
among Japanese soldiers on islands such as

Iwo Jima is also
misleading. How do we know civilians would

have resisted as doggedly
as the soldiers on those islands?

We didn't, so we didn't take any chances.

The atomic bombs would have been more justified

if US had at least
attempted to invade Japan. If US had tried

that for a month and failed
miserably, perhaps the use of atomic bombs

would have been more
justified, based on more reliable estimates

based on real experience.
But, US didn't even try to invade Japan. It

just wanted to end the war
as quickly as possible and took the most draconian

measures.

what's wrong with ending a war as quickly as
possible
and avoiding a costly invasion?

We had a weapon that could end that war in a
matter of weeks or
days. So let's invade and drag it out for weeks
and months so
we can "justify" ending it with a super weapon?

Waste soldiers' lives so we wouldn't harm "innocent"
civilians of
an enemy country?

Where did youstudy war?

Not ten Japanese civilians were worth one American
soldier.

We ended it.

LT

Good post, Linda. I concur completely. Japan started the war at Pearl Harbor.
It was ended for all intents and purposes on 6 and 9 August 45 with 15 Kt
on Hiroshima and 20 Kt on Nagasaki. The bombs were far preferable to invasion.

Old December 23rd 03, 04:01 PM
Matt Wiser

(Greg Moritz) wrote:
[...]

Regarding Japanese attitude on Nanking: A senior Japanese politician called
the Nanking atrocities a hoax by the PRC. The resulting outcry from both
the PRC and Taiwan as well as other SE Asian nations resulted in his apology
and resignation. This was 3-4 years back IIRC. As for Pearl Harbor, a number
of former pilots in Kido Butai have gone back and been welcomed at the Arizona
Memorial by the USN and the Park Service, as well as a number of PH survivors.
The survivors' attitude seems to be "they were doing their job, just as we
were." The survivors attitude towards the Japanese Government is quite different,
however.

Posted via
www.My-Newsgroups.com - web to news gateway for usenet access!
Old December 24th 03, 03:52 AM
Steve Hix

In article ,
Cub Driver wrote:

Dropping nukes against people with bamboo pikes sounds rather absurd.

Not if it's your tender belly about to be pierced by a bamboo pike.

Ummm...the nuke would not exactly be helping you much at that point...

:}
Old December 24th 03, 11:19 AM
Cub Driver

Dropping nukes against people with bamboo pikes sounds rather absurd.

Not if it's your tender belly about to be pierced by a bamboo pike.

Ummm...the nuke would not exactly be helping you much at that point...

It helped me a great deal, since it made the invasion unnecessary.

all the best -- Dan Ford
email:

see the Warbird's Forum at
www.warbirdforum.com
and the Piper Cub Forum at www.pipercubforum.com
Old December 24th 03, 04:15 PM
Matt Wiser

Pan Ohco wrote:
~Michael

Yes. Against the prospect of instantly annihilating

entire populations
indiscrimately, I would risk more American

soldiers' lives. And,
unless the invasion was attempted we wouldn't

know whether it was a
good or bad idea.
The idea of nuking cities and casually wiping

out 100,000s in an
instant just to save American lives isn't any

kind of morality.

So the killing of say a 100,000 Americans just
to see if an invasion
was a bad idea,is o.k.?

And you would be the first of the landing craft?

Pan Ohco

I would hope that he would be in the first amtrac at Ariake Bay (the most
heavily defended) in Kyushu.

Old December 24th 03, 05:52 PM
Steve Hix

In article ,
Cub Driver wrote:

In 1941 when the Japs attacked the US, we were far from being the most
powerful nation in the world!

This is a key point. Our army was not even second-rate--more like
tenth rate.

We ranked 16th, just after Poland, at the start of WW2.

In no way were we in shape to prosecute a war.
Old December 24th 03, 05:54 PM
Steve Hix

In article ,
Cub Driver wrote:

Dropping nukes against people with bamboo pikes sounds rather absurd.

Not if it's your tender belly about to be pierced by a bamboo pike.

Ummm...the nuke would not exactly be helping you much at that point...

It helped me a great deal, since it made the invasion unnecessary.

Sigh. (I know what you meant; my father was on an LST outbound from
Guam to Okinawa when the war ended.)

Someone about to be skewered on a bamboo pike wouldn't benefit much
at that moment from a nuke. It's either too late, or it's too late for
him.