PSP

Old September 3rd 03, 03:06 AM
Gary Watson

Thanks all for the info on the PSP. We are actually looking to buy some if
the $$$$ is right for northern Canada operations where concrete is too
expensive and gravel and fine sand are cheap.

GW

"Keith Willshaw" wrote in message

"Gary Watson" cf104@ihate spam.shaw.ca wrote in message
. ca...
I am looking for some info on PSP (perforated Steel Plates - that

were/are
used for temporary runways, aprons and parking areas. Also looking for a
source of approx 100,000 sq feet of the stuff if any is still around in
useable condition. Any pictures or data would be appreciated

Gary W
/nospam

http://www.wpafb.af.mil/museum/history/korea/psp.htm
http://www.daveswarbirds.com/cactus/photo9.htm

Its still available by the way, you can buy some at

http://www.calumetindustries.com/lmats.html

I've seen it used on construction sites for temporary roads

Keith

Old September 3rd 03, 01:53 PM
Kevin Brooks

"Gary Watson" cf104@ihate spam.shaw.ca wrote in message ...
Thanks all for the info on the PSP. We are actually looking to buy some if
the $$$$ is right for northern Canada operations where concrete is too
expensive and gravel and fine sand are cheap.

I would seriously look at geotextiles first. You can go with either a
geotextile mat under a gravel surface course, or the use of a
geotextile grid with sand/gravel fill. Both are easier to install,
require less transport costs, and easy to repair (when you try
replacing a few PSP panels in the middle of the mat, you will
understand what I mean g). They offer tremendous load carrying
capacity in comparison to their weight and construction effort, and
take better advantage of those "cheap" resources you mention. I
designed a stretch of roadway which used the geotex mat, and it was
installed by troops who had never before seen the stuff with little
difficulty. And the geotextiles are not that expensive
either--probably cheaper than buying a bunch of PSP and lugging it all
the way into northern Canada!

Brooks

Old September 3rd 03, 04:01 PM
Alan Minyard

On Wed, 03 Sep 2003 00:51:29 GMT, Guy Alcala
wrote:

Alan Minyard wrote:

On Mon, 01 Sep 2003 15:12:24 +0500, wrote:

In article , "Gary
Watson" cf104@ihate spam.shaw.ca wrote:

I am looking for some info on PSP (perforated Steel Plates - that were/are
used for temporary runways, aprons and parking areas.

Roger Hayes states in On Point that he used these as roofing material
for his bunker as an infantryman in vietnam.

They were called "Marsten Matting" after the town in North Carolina
(IIRC) where they were first used. They were designed to interlock
with each other and formed reasonable, easily repaired runways. They
were extremely useful in the PTO as well as Italy.

Spelling quibble: "Marston".

Guy

Darn, I knew I was getting that wrong :-(

Al Minyard

Old September 4th 03, 02:28 AM
Gary Watson

Thanks Kevin,

I have passed that info on to our engineers for him to peruse. Makes sense
to use a newer material if it is lighter and easier to use. I also sent you
aan email and applogize for spelling your name wrong in it

Gary

om...