Carburetor 172RG cuttlas

Old March 18th 04, 06:25 PM
Georg Himmeroeder

Default Carburetor 172RG cuttlas

Hi all,

discussing Pelican's Perch #15: Manifold Pressure Sucks!

(
http://www.avweb.com/cgi-bin/udt/im....ry.id=1820 81
)

with some friends, we came to a point in the 172RG manual which says:

Starting engine
Mixture - RICH
Propeller - HIGH RPM
carburetor heat - COLD
Throttle - PUMP once or twice ??????

Does anyone know, wy to do that.
Does this carburetor has an accelerator pump like an carburetor for a car????
As far as I know an aircraft carburetor does not have such a pump. But
what other reason should that
pumping have??

Any idea?

Georg

Old March 18th 04, 06:59 PM
John Kunkel

"Georg Himmeroeder" wrote in message
Hi all,

discussing Pelican's Perch #15: Manifold Pressure Sucks!

(

http://www.avweb.com/cgi-bin/udt/im....id=avweb&story.
id=182081
)

with some friends, we came to a point in the 172RG manual which says:

Starting engine
Mixture - RICH
Propeller - HIGH RPM
carburetor heat - COLD
Throttle - PUMP once or twice ??????

Does anyone know, wy to do that.
Does this carburetor has an accelerator pump like an carburetor for a

car????
As far as I know an aircraft carburetor does not have such a pump. But
what other reason should that
pumping have??

Any idea?

The Marvelous Dribbler carbs do have an accelerator pump.
Pumping the throttle on an updraft carb is sure to load the air box with raw
fuel in addition to priming the engine. One good backfire and

Old March 18th 04, 09:15 PM
Scott Skylane

John Kunkel wrote:
"Georg Himmeroeder" wrote in message

with some friends, we came to a point in the 172RG manual which says:

Starting engine
Mixture - RICH
Propeller - HIGH RPM
carburetor heat - COLD
Throttle - PUMP once or twice ??????

Does anyone know, wy to do that.
Does this carburetor has an accelerator pump like an carburetor for a

car????

As far as I know an aircraft carburetor does not have such a pump. But
what other reason should that
pumping have??

Any idea?

The Marvelous Dribbler carbs do have an accelerator pump.
Pumping the throttle on an updraft carb is sure to load the air box with raw
fuel in addition to priming the engine. One good backfire and

Actually, while most of the Marvels have a pump, some of the smaller
models don't. And, while what you say is true of the updraft versions,
the HA-6 that is used on George's 172RG is a side draft design, and
pumping the throttle is an acceptably safe means to prime the engine.
Heck, the 180 HP Lake amphibian doesn't even have a seperate primer, the
throttle is all you've got!

Happy Flying!
Scott Skylane