DG quality?

Old January 8th 16, 08:19 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Default DG quality?

Am Donnerstag, 7. Januar 2016 21:00:10 UTC+1 schrieb Dave Walsh:
I stand corrected; good that NOAH is available in Schempp
gliders. Ancient trials of ancient glider pilots trying to "bail
out" on the ground wearing added lead to simulate high g
forces showed that even fit pilots need help!
Dave Walsh

NOAH is (or was?) also offered by AS.
Old January 8th 16, 02:35 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Of course I'm not going to write names here, but I remember pictures of the wing sections of different gliders actually showing cleaner, tidier or messier looks inside, especially in the spar/skins glueing areas. Those pictures have widely been used as selling points.
Nevertheless, I also remember brand new sailplanes with ballast leaking from the leading edge, so tidy doesn't always mean perfect.

Other sellers use the stability of wing profile as a selling point, which seems reasonable to me, as reprofiling is very expensive.

In the age of gelcoat, some makers used a product that would need a total repaint within 10 years or less, so a high quality finish was a strong selling point for the messier wings...

Occasionally sailplanes need fixing some original defects, and this is also where the service provided by the manufacturers highly differs. Kudos to the maker of my current ride for providing everything at no cost under warranty (in Europe the law provides 2 years protection from original defects to every customer). Some friends have had what I would consider totally unacceptable service by other makers, having to pay cash for their mistakes, and after lenghty discussions.

Ask around, then choose what you really like, it's the sailplane you are probably going to fly for a decade.

aldo cernezzi
www.voloavela.it
Old January 8th 16, 11:01 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

On Tuesday, January 5, 2016 at 1:34:21 PM UTC-8, wrote:
I know this is somewhat subjective. Factory support agreements, etc. aside, has anyone noticed any difference in the quality of newer DG production models compared to SH and Schleicher? Thanks

One of the hardest carrier landings I ever saw was on a DG1000. I was pretty impressed with the durability after seeing that and it never missed a beat and continued on flying..

Quality helicopter sim? AirDolphin Simulators 11 September 15th 06 06:04 AM
100LL Quality vlado Piloting 2 August 25th 06 07:23 PM
Manufacturing Quality john smith Piloting 100 August 13th 06 01:22 PM
Manufacturing Quality Jim Carter Piloting 16 August 8th 06 02:15 PM
What makes a quality mic? John T Home Built 11 October 10th 05 01:04 AM