Carrier Islands

Old November 16th 03, 11:04 PM
William Hughes

On Sun, 16 Nov 2003 16:37:15 -0500, in rec.aviation.military Cub Driver
wrote:

Early piston aircraft had a lot of torque generated by the engine. In a wave-off
situation, the sharp increase in power would roll the aircraft slightly to port.
Combined with pulling back on the stick to gain altitude, this would result in a
climbing left turn. Having an island in the way when doing this could ruin your

If so, then British carriers would have the island to port. Do they?

Why would they? Their aircraft engines rotated in the same direction as the
American's, thus generating the same port-biased torque.

Old November 17th 03, 02:58 AM
WaltBJ

Don't know much about boats but doesn't the ship crossing from the
starboard - the right - have the right of way, so it's a navigation
thing? But the torque reaction is a good reason, too; I've seen
Hellcats wrapped up in a tight left bank from too enthusiastic power
application when the drones (and chase) were flying out of Naha in the
late 50's.
Walt BJ
Old November 17th 03, 03:22 AM

William Hughes wrote:

Early piston aircraft had a lot of torque generated by the engine. In a wave-off
situation, the sharp increase in power would roll the aircraft slightly to port.
Combined with pulling back on the stick to gain altitude, this would result in a
climbing left turn. Having an island in the way when doing this could ruin your
whole day. Hence, the island was placed on the other side of the filght deck.

So what does one do in an a/c which has an engine turning the
opposite way?...
--

-Gord.
Old November 17th 03, 04:01 AM
William Hughes

On Mon, 17 Nov 2003 03:22:34 GMT, in rec.aviation.military "Gord Beaman"
) wrote:
William Hughes wrote:

Early piston aircraft had a lot of torque generated by the engine. In a wave-off
situation, the sharp increase in power would roll the aircraft slightly to port.
Combined with pulling back on the stick to gain altitude, this would result in a
climbing left turn. Having an island in the way when doing this could ruin your
whole day. Hence, the island was placed on the other side of the filght deck.

So what does one do in an a/c which has an engine turning the
opposite way?...

And which aircraft would that be? AFAIK, all aircraft engines rotated the same
way - clockwise from the pilot's point-of-view. At least on single-engine birds;
some twins may have had counter-rotating props, but I don't think they operated
from carrier decks all that much.

Old November 17th 03, 05:30 AM

William Hughes wrote:

So what does one do in an a/c which has an engine turning the
opposite way?...

And which aircraft would that be? AFAIK, all aircraft engines rotated the same
way - clockwise from the pilot's point-of-view.

You think so?...amazing indeed...you sound most assured...I'd
have felt damned uneasy if it had been me making that big bald
statement to the whole world. WooHoo.
--

-Gord.
Old November 17th 03, 05:36 AM
John R Weiss

"Tarver Engineering" wrote...

At least on single-engine birds; some twins may have had counter-rotating

props, but I don't think they operated from carrier decks all that much.

What, like a P-3?

Not single-engine, not a twin, no counter-rotating props, and never operated
from a carrier...

So, "like" what?

Old November 17th 03, 06:01 AM
Seraphim

"Tarver Engineering" wrote in
news

Beaman" ) wrote:
William Hughes wrote:

Early piston aircraft had a lot of torque generated by the
engine. In a wave-off situation, the sharp increase in power
would roll the aircraft slightly to port. Combined with pulling
back on the stick to gain altitude, this would result in a
climbing left turn. Having an island in the way when doing this
could ruin your whole day. Hence, the island was placed on the
other side of the filght deck.

So what does one do in an a/c which has an engine turning the
opposite way?...

And which aircraft would that be? AFAIK, all aircraft engines
rotated the same way - clockwise from the pilot's point-of-view. At
least on single-engine birds; some twins may have had
counter-rotating props, but I don't think they operated from
carrier decks all that much.

What, like a P-3?

The P-3 doesn't have counter-rotating props, and AFAIK operates from land
bases.

So your point about the P-3 was?
Old November 17th 03, 07:37 AM
William Hughes

On Mon, 17 Nov 2003 05:30:18 GMT, in rec.aviation.military "Gord Beaman"
) wrote:
William Hughes wrote:

So what does one do in an a/c which has an engine turning the
opposite way?...

And which aircraft would that be? AFAIK, all aircraft engines rotated the same
way - clockwise from the pilot's point-of-view.

You think so?...amazing indeed...you sound most assured...I'd
have felt damned uneasy if it had been me making that big bald
statement to the whole world. WooHoo.

You are aware of the meaning of "AFAIK", are you not? If I am incorrect, you are
invited to enlighten me. Post snide comments, with no correcting information,
does not advance the discussion.

Old November 17th 03, 07:58 AM
ANDREW ROBERT BREEN

In article B7Ztb.171248$9E1.880881@attbi_s52,
John R Weiss wrote:
"Tarver Engineering" wrote...

At least on single-engine birds; some twins may have had counter-rotating

props, but I don't think they operated from carrier decks all that much.

What, like a P-3?

Not single-engine, not a twin, no counter-rotating props, and never operated
from a carrier...

So, "like" what?

The De Havilland Sea Hornet was a twin with the props revolving in
opposite directions and that operated from carriers (as, of course,
was the Gannet , but that wasn't until *long* after the location of
the island was a done deal.

--
Andy Breen ~ Interplanetary Scintillation Research Group
http://users.aber.ac.uk/azb/