Airspeed of military planes

Old January 24th 04, 05:58 AM
S. Sampson

"Glenn Westfall" wrote
I'm an Air Force Air Traffic Controller and am currently working in
Okinawa, Japan. We have F-15's here at Kadena and it is not uncommon
for them to come back well above 400 Kts below 10,000. We usually
only worry about slowing them down if they are being sequenced to
follow another aircraft. Close to final, they will usually slow
themselves to 250 Kts or slower unless told otherwise.

I've heard that F-15's and Mig-29's are pigs below 400 knots :-)
The AOA is probably in the teens by 250 knots...

Old January 24th 04, 01:21 PM
Cub Driver

Close to final, they will usually slow
themselves to 250 Kts or slower unless told otherwise.

I hope one of those suckers never gets behind Zero Six Hotel in the
pattern!

all the best -- Dan Ford
email:

see the Warbird's Forum at
www.warbirdforum.com
and the Piper Cub Forum at www.pipercubforum.com
Old January 24th 04, 01:22 PM
Dudley Henriques

"Cub Driver" wrote in message

Close to final, they will usually slow
themselves to 250 Kts or slower unless told otherwise.

I hope one of those suckers never gets behind Zero Six Hotel in the
pattern!

Don't worry. He won't be there long!
DH

Old January 24th 04, 01:35 PM
Steven P. McNicoll

"Glenn Westfall" wrote in message

I'm an Air Force Air Traffic Controller and am currently working in
Okinawa, Japan. We have F-15's here at Kadena and it is not uncommon
for them to come back well above 400 Kts below 10,000. We usually
only worry about slowing them down if they are being sequenced to
follow another aircraft. Close to final, they will usually slow
themselves to 250 Kts or slower unless told otherwise.

The airspeed limitation he's referring to is found in a Federal Aviation
Regulation,
which is applicable only within the US.

Old January 24th 04, 02:02 PM
Jay Honeck

Close to final, they will usually slow
themselves to 250 Kts or slower unless told otherwise.

I hope one of those suckers never gets behind Zero Six Hotel in the
pattern!

Don't worry, Dan -- they don't occupy the same piece of space for long.
I've flown a pattern with two F-15s, and whatever *they* were doing was
totally unrelated to anything *we* were doing.

We were mere insects to their space-ships.
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA

Old January 24th 04, 02:15 PM
Peter Hovorka

Hi Steven,

The airspeed limitation he's referring to is found in a Federal Aviation
Regulation,
which is applicable only within the US.

Also in germany. 250kt below FL 100 except for planes which need to be
flown faster.

Regards,
Peter

Old January 24th 04, 02:24 PM
N. Funk

Yes, but the problems occur when us insects splatter on the windshield
of those fast moving "space-ships". Even though it rarely occurs, it is
usually catastrophic for the insects. Remember the incident several
years ago in around Manatee County, Florida when a Cessna and a fighter
collided.

Nick
PA28-180 'D"

Old January 24th 04, 03:02 PM
Steven P. McNicoll

"N. Funk" wrote in message

Yes, but the problems occur when us insects splatter on the windshield
of those fast moving "space-ships". Even though it rarely occurs, it is
usually catastrophic for the insects. Remember the incident several
years ago in around Manatee County, Florida when a Cessna and a fighter
collided.

It's usually catastrophic for the "space-ships" as well.

Old January 24th 04, 03:51 PM
Susan VanCamp

I can't comment on the MiG but having fought Eagles many times over the
years, I can say that both the light and dark gray versions are remarkably
agile at speeds well below 400KIAS.

As for the "250 below 10" thing, it not only depends on the jet one flies
but also where you're flying it. MOAs, Restricted Areas and VR/IR routes
are the most common exceptions, but any high traffic terminal area warrants
compliance -- either by regulation or common sense. Most TACAIR use
300-400kt climb schedules to intercept an IMN somewhere above 10K'.

Old January 24th 04, 06:31 PM
BUFDRVR

Not if the minimum safe airspeed for descent/landing/touch-and-go is greater
than 250.

Which in a BUFF means you probably shouldn't be attempting a landing. Better to
bail out in such circumstances. Bottom line, a BUFF will *always* be able to
comply with 250 below 10 on recovery.

BUFDRVR

everyone on Bear Creek"