Airspeed of military planes

Old January 24th 04, 06:32 PM
BUFDRVR

The T38 had a restricted and unrestricted climb schedule for both MIL and
MAX performance climb if I remember right. We couldn't use the MAX climb
schedule outside of the corridors, but a MIL climb at 300kts to 10 grand
followed by an unrestricted IMN climb after that was quite common.

Its been nearly 10 years, but that's how I remember it as well. I also thought
300 was the standard IAS to cruise to and from the work areas, low levels etc.

BUFDRVR

everyone on Bear Creek"
Old January 24th 04, 06:34 PM
BUFDRVR

But for low level in IR training routes, we planned 540knt, 500-1500ft AGL
Those IR routes are not in MOA or restricted airspace, but can be, and they
are on the VFR charts for a reason.

I believe *all* Military training Routes (often seen abreviated as MTR) are
waived for operations exceeding 250 KIAS. In the BUFF we flew both IR and VR
routes at 360 KIAS (planned).

BUFDRVR

everyone on Bear Creek"
Old January 24th 04, 06:41 PM
Steven P. McNicoll

"BUFDRVR" wrote in message

Which in a BUFF means you probably shouldn't be attempting a landing.

Better to
bail out in such circumstances. Bottom line, a BUFF will *always* be able

comply with 250 below 10 on recovery.

So what point were you trying to make?

Old January 24th 04, 06:44 PM
BUFDRVR

We have F-15's here at Kadena and it is not uncommon
for them to come back well above 400 Kts below 10,000.

Besides the fact flying 250 KIAS in an Eagle would severly restrict
maneuverability, in foriegn nations, US military comply with host nation rules
and restrictions. My guess is, Japan has no restriction. I know the UK doesn't.
Try flying 250 KIAS below 10,000' when you're #2 of a returning B-52 6-ship.
You are going to land last. The Brize controller will vector your sorry
rear-end out of the way while he gets everyone else on the ground in no time
flat. I watched this happen, I was #5, flying 280 KIAS until I was on base,
then I worked my tail off slowing and configuring, finally getting in landing
configuration well inside the final approach fix.To this day I'm not sure I
made my gear down call. Fortunately for me, I had been to Fairford years
earlier and was used to such "expediant" procedures when large formations
returned in close proximity to each other.

BUFDRVR

everyone on Bear Creek"
Old January 24th 04, 07:30 PM
Tony Volk

Hi Susan. I don't know if I've just missed your previous posts or not,
but I'm not familiar with your military career, and it'd be interesting to
hear from another military pilot in these parts. So what did you fly? For
how long? Cheers,

Tony

"Susan VanCamp" wrote in message
ink.net...
I can't comment on the MiG but having fought Eagles many times over the
years, I can say that both the light and dark gray versions are remarkably
agile at speeds well below 400KIAS.

As for the "250 below 10" thing, it not only depends on the jet one flies
but also where you're flying it. MOAs, Restricted Areas and VR/IR routes
are the most common exceptions, but any high traffic terminal area

warrants
compliance -- either by regulation or common sense. Most TACAIR use
300-400kt climb schedules to intercept an IMN somewhere above 10K'.

"S. Sampson" wrote in message
"Glenn Westfall" wrote
I'm an Air Force Air Traffic Controller and am currently working in
Okinawa, Japan. We have F-15's here at Kadena and it is not uncommon
for them to come back well above 400 Kts below 10,000. We usually
only worry about slowing them down if they are being sequenced to
follow another aircraft. Close to final, they will usually slow
themselves to 250 Kts or slower unless told otherwise.

I've heard that F-15's and Mig-29's are pigs below 400 knots :-)
The AOA is probably in the teens by 250 knots...

Old January 24th 04, 07:46 PM
Dudley Henriques

"BUFDRVR" wrote in message
The T38 had a restricted and unrestricted climb schedule for both MIL and
MAX performance climb if I remember right. We couldn't use the MAX climb
schedule outside of the corridors, but a MIL climb at 300kts to 10 grand
followed by an unrestricted IMN climb after that was quite common.

Its been nearly 10 years, but that's how I remember it as well. I also

thought
300 was the standard IAS to cruise to and from the work areas, low levels

etc.

BUFDRVR

Yup! The standard rule if I remember right was 300 kts and stay the hell
away from icing conditions!!! God, that airplane hated ice!!!!! :-))
Dudley

Old January 24th 04, 07:47 PM
BUFDRVR

Which in a BUFF means you probably shouldn't be attempting a landing.
Better to
bail out in such circumstances. Bottom line, a BUFF will *always* be able

comply with 250 below 10 on recovery.

So what point were you trying to make?

I was making the point that the BUFF has an FAA waiver when taking off, but not
landing. Trying to show how these military waivers are not always as clear cut
as a blanket coverage.

BUFDRVR

everyone on Bear Creek"
Old January 24th 04, 07:49 PM
Tarver Engineering

"Dudley Henriques" wrote in message
link.net...

Yup! The standard rule if I remember right was 300 kts and stay the hell
away from icing conditions!!! God, that airplane hated ice!!!!! :-))

Be careful not to harm any more people with your incompetence, sub-idiot
Henriques.

Old January 24th 04, 08:36 PM
S. Sampson

"BUFDRVR" wrote
[...]

I was a crewdog on E-3's and Ramstein seemed to always give us a high tacan
approach in the 70's. We couldn't do it of course, but it was fun trying, and then
they always got ****ed-off when we went missed-approach at warp factor six
over the natives neighborhoods, who I guess didn't like airplanes roaring over
their house at 3am in the morning... All the F-4's in the teardrop seemed to
stop in mid-air as we flashed by them in a kamikaze spiral...

Old January 24th 04, 08:38 PM
S. Sampson

"Tony Volk" wrote

Hi Susan. I don't know if I've just missed your previous posts or not,
but I'm not familiar with your military career, and it'd be interesting to
hear from another military pilot in these parts. So what did you fly? For
how long? Cheers,

I think she meant she was a civilian interacting with the federal boys.