Tragity

Old October 17th 05, 11:28 PM
Matt Whiting

Default Tragedy

A Lieberman wrote:

On Mon, 17 Oct 2005 00:34:16 GMT, .Blueskies. wrote:

mo

http://www.eaa.org/communications/ea...6_ye_loss.html

Sadly, the media won't pick up on the following paragraph taken from the
above web page:

The accident marks the first fatalities among the approximately 1,200,000
Young Eagles whom EAA members have flown since EAA launched the program in
1992.

This to me shows an incredible safety record of general aviation.

Allen

Yes, but unfortunately, as you say, the media won't mention that and the
public will still view Young Eagles as a dangerous program now.

Matt
Old October 17th 05, 11:29 PM
Matt Whiting

Jose wrote:

I fly Young Eagles through 2 different clubs.
Prior to this accident we had been discussing changing our rules to
prohibit 2 kids from the same family to fly in the same plane.

We should all look at this. Loss to the family, liability - let's
split them up - everyone wins!

The alternative is losses to two families. Is this better?

I don't think there is a better in this situation.

Matt
Old October 17th 05, 11:50 PM
A Lieberman

On Mon, 17 Oct 2005 15:36:12 +0300, g n p wrote:

Which equates to what??? a millisecond of the per annum airline traffic
without incident??? incredible safety record???
PP-ASEL, owner SX-ATB, TB-20 Trinidad

Nope, I would say it's an incredible safety record for a "non professional"
form of transportation. Professionals fly the heavy iron (I.E. Delta, SWA
and so on).

General public that are not being paid to do what they enjoy doing, such as
flying, that is what I am referring to, even though I didn't spell this out
in my original post.

Compared to driving cars, motorcycles and boats, yes, the fact that only
one or two deaths in one million flights to me is an incredible safety
record.

Naturally, the media won't pick up on that.... There are more deadly
boating, car and motorcycle accidents which sometimes kill more then a GA
crash.

You can bet, if in one day, there was a multicar crash that killed 3
people, one motorcycle accident that killed one person or a GA plane that
bought the farm, that the plane that bought the farm will get the headline
news in spite the fact the car crash killed more people.

Just my opinion anyway.

Allen
Old October 18th 05, 12:34 AM
Ron Natalie

Paul Stuart wrote:
From what I recall the accident in Colorado some years back involved a

young person that had got involved with his local EAA Chapter, and was
being rewarded with a flight after helping out at a Young Eagles event
- but it was not technically a Young Eagles flight i.e. the flight
wouldn't have been recorded in the Young Eagles logbook had it ended
safely.

Why wouldn't it? The only requirement is the kid be be within the
right ages and the pilot be an EAA member. You can issue the
certificate and forward the info to the EAA for the logbook and
your YE pilot credits.
Old October 18th 05, 12:59 AM
Gary Drescher

"A Lieberman" wrote in message
Compared to driving cars, motorcycles and boats, yes, the fact that only
one or two deaths in one million flights to me is an incredible safety
record.

Your impression is not borne out by the available statistics. Two fatalities
out of a million half-hour flights is indeed three or four times lower than
the GA average, but still higher than the hourly fatality rate for
automobiles. (There have been many threads here that adduced data to show
that the hourly GA fatality rate is about an order of magnitude higher than
the automobile fatality rate.) Also, despite the lack of precedent alleged
by the EAA, one other apparent Young Eagle fatality has already been pointed
out here from the NTSB database, so it's not entirely clear what their
safety record really is.

You can bet, if in one day, there was a multicar crash that killed 3
people, one motorcycle accident that killed one person or a GA plane that
bought the farm, that the plane that bought the farm will get the
headline
news in spite the fact the car crash killed more people.

You can bet that, but again you'd be at odds with readily available facts.
For example, if you look at today's online Olympian front page, you'll see
that a fatal bus crash (five dead, including one child) is listed among the
"Top Stories", whereas the Young Eagles crash we've been discussing (three
dead, including two children) is listed less prominently.
http://159.54.227.3/apps/pbcs.dll/frontpage

--Gary

Old October 18th 05, 01:24 AM
A Lieberman

On Mon, 17 Oct 2005 19:59:01 -0400, Gary Drescher wrote:

You can bet that, but again you'd be at odds with readily available facts.
For example, if you look at today's online Olympian front page, you'll see
that a fatal bus crash (five dead, including one child) is listed among the
"Top Stories", whereas the Young Eagles crash we've been discussing (three
dead, including two children) is listed less prominently.
http://159.54.227.3/apps/pbcs.dll/frontpage

Can't argue with proof *smile*.

Looks to me the Olympian paper is a fair reporting paper and not a
sensationalist

Thanks Gary!

Allen
Old October 18th 05, 01:30 AM
Gary Drescher

"A Lieberman" wrote in message
On Mon, 17 Oct 2005 19:59:01 -0400, Gary Drescher wrote:
For example, if you look at today's online Olympian front page, you'll
see
that a fatal bus crash (five dead, including one child) is listed among
the
"Top Stories", whereas the Young Eagles crash we've been discussing
(three
dead, including two children) is listed less prominently.
http://159.54.227.3/apps/pbcs.dll/frontpage

Can't argue with proof *smile*.

Looks to me the Olympian paper is a fair reporting paper and not a
sensationalist

Thanks Gary!

No problem. (The Olympian might still be sensationalist--just without an
apparent preference for plane crashes over car crashes. )

--Gary

Allen

Old October 18th 05, 01:49 AM
Margy

Matt Whiting wrote:
A Lieberman wrote:

On Mon, 17 Oct 2005 00:34:16 GMT, .Blueskies. wrote:

mo

http://www.eaa.org/communications/ea...6_ye_loss.html

Sadly, the media won't pick up on the following paragraph taken from the
above web page:

The accident marks the first fatalities among the approximately 1,200,000
Young Eagles whom EAA members have flown since EAA launched the
program in
1992.

This to me shows an incredible safety record of general aviation.

Allen

Yes, but unfortunately, as you say, the media won't mention that and the
public will still view Young Eagles as a dangerous program now.

Matt

Forget the public, my school system won't even let me MENTION the YE
program. I had arranged YE flights for 56 students in our high school
aerospace program when the teacher of that program was informed that he
was NOT going to take those kids flying and if he did and if anything
happened they would hang him out to dry, personally!

Margy
Old October 18th 05, 03:17 AM
tony roberts

The alternative is losses to two families. Is this better?

Jose

I believe so - speaking from the position of someone who has already
lost a child.

Tony

--

Tony Roberts
PP-ASEL
Old October 18th 05, 04:25 AM
Jose

The alternative is losses to two families. Is this better?

I believe so - speaking from the position of someone who has already
lost a child.

I am truly sorry about your loss. True, you might have lost two. But
you might have also lost none. That is the tradeoff for the other family.

Jose