Confusion about when it's my navigation, and when it's ATC

Old January 5th 07, 10:27 PM posted to rec.aviation.ifr,rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.student
Newps

Default Confusion about when it's my navigation, and when it's ATC

Mxsmanic wrote:

Newps writes:

You still haven't listed one time when the rudder does not change flight
path.

A forward slip.

BZZT, try again.

Old January 5th 07, 10:28 PM posted to rec.aviation.ifr,rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.student
Newps

Mxsmanic wrote:

Newps writes:

There is never a case where it doesn't change flight path.

Landing in a crosswind.

Steeeeeerike two.

Old January 5th 07, 10:43 PM posted to rec.aviation.ifr,rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.student
Alexey Goldin

Amazing. Anyone knows about possibility for killfile in Google groups?

Mxsmanic wrote:
Alexey Goldin writes:

When I came back, I thanked her for saving me from possibly broken arm
or leg (no kidding) and unpleasant time spent in hospital, never mind
bent aluminium.

She could have accomplished the same without shouting or swearing.

Old January 5th 07, 10:51 PM posted to rec.aviation.ifr
bdl

Mxsmanic wrote:
You should "simulate" the look of fright from your wife sitting next to
you with a look of fear when you acknowledge keeping your speed up.
She's sitting over there imagining a jet that's going to ram you.

I'm not married, nor do I simulate marriage.

It's a joke. Christ...

Old January 5th 07, 10:55 PM posted to rec.aviation.ifr
bdl

Separation does not change because visual approaches are in use. It
remains the same unless visual separation is used. This is independent
of any type of approach clearance.

Thanks, I appreciate the correction.

Old January 5th 07, 11:12 PM posted to rec.aviation.ifr,rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.student
Rick Branch

Mxsmanic wrote:
B A R R Y writes:

I also have trouble believing very many real pilots would bother to
participate in that whole shebang.

Many real pilots play with MSFS all the time.

A friend of mine is a pilot for an international cargo carrier, and he
does play with MSFS. He just loves to fly a 747 off of a grass strip
that is about half a mile from his (real) house. The grass strip is in
the MSFS database, so he uses it. (I guess it beats pretending to drive
to the airport.)

So, at least one professional pilot likes to _PLAY_ with MSFS.
Old January 5th 07, 11:23 PM posted to rec.aviation.ifr,rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.student
Peter Dohm

I also have trouble believing very many real pilots would bother to
participate in that whole shebang.

Many real pilots play with MSFS all the time.

A friend of mine is a pilot for an international cargo carrier, and he
does play with MSFS. He just loves to fly a 747 off of a grass strip
that is about half a mile from his (real) house. The grass strip is in
the MSFS database, so he uses it. (I guess it beats pretending to drive
to the airport.)

So, at least one professional pilot likes to _PLAY_ with MSFS.

Could be amusing. Tthose sim engines are virtually imune to FOD; and the
wing tips can slice through trees like they were never there ... bfg

Peter

Old January 5th 07, 11:37 PM posted to rec.aviation.ifr,rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.student
TxSrv

Mxsmanic wrote:

Since you cannot test the real aircraft that high, you have no
way of knowing whether the simulation is accurate or not.

Brilliant. How do we get there in the first place? What
limiters do you suppose in a normally-aspirated,
piston-engine A/C would prevent us? Barring extraordinary
ridge lift in winter-cold air, and maybe that would be
insufficient, how do we get to FL 300 like I've done in MSFS
in a 172? Possible only with slew. And what's that silly
MSFS phugoid thing all about in this rarefied air? It's
program code; not reality.

F--
Old January 6th 07, 12:01 AM posted to rec.aviation.ifr,rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.student
Buck Murdock

In article ,
Mxsmanic wrote:

Ross writes:

Nope, this was the real multi million $ American Airline simulator in
Ft. Worth Texas at their training center. I do not suspect they you
MSFS.

Sometimes it can be surprising what runs on the back end.

As someone who's been flying them every six months for a decade, and
*instructing* in them for several years, it wouldn't be surprising at
all. And as Mr. Space correctly points out, there's not so much as a
snippet of Microsoft code running those $12 MM simulators.

They run custom-designed simulator software, running on banks of
computers. They can communicate with the actual, physical avionics that
are the same as those installed in the aircraft. (Very, very different
from painting graphics on what amounts to a matte painting that looks
somewhat like a cockpit.) They also mimic the physical sensations,
which are *critical* in coming anywhere close to completely simulating
flight.

I've played MSFS, I've spent hundreds of hours in full-motion
simulators, and I've flown thousands of hours in transport aircraft.
Until you have done more than one of the above, you ARE NOT QUALIFIED to
make comparisons amongst them.
Old January 6th 07, 12:07 AM posted to rec.aviation.ifr
A Guy Called Tyketto