Idaflieg Reports?

Old August 19th 04, 10:01 AM
John Galloway

Default Idaflieg Reports?

Does anyone know if the full reports and flight tests
from the Idaflieg summer camps are published in any
form that is accessible to the gliding public. All
I can find out is that flight tests results aren't
generally released for 2 years (to protect the manufacturers)
and that, after that, individuals can eventually purchase
the flight test for a specific glider.

All the Idaflieg polars released by manufucturers in
their glider flight manuals that I have seen have been
perfectly shaped and meet performance claims.

One would assume that, as studies by academic groups,
the methods, data, and conclusions are published somewhere
for peer review. (I do know in general terms how their
flight tests are conducted)

John Galloway

Old August 19th 04, 11:33 AM
Bert Willing

The answer is simple: no.

--
Bert Willing

ASW20 "TW"

de ...

Old August 19th 04, 10:54 PM
John Galloway

Well - that's the end of that thread:-)

Does that mean they aren't worth the paper they're
not written on?

John Galloway

At 10:54 19 August 2004, Bert Willing wrote:

The answer is simple: no.

Old August 19th 04, 11:22 PM
Greg Arnold

They must release them if you have the right connections, because
Fundamentals of Sailplane Design by Fred Thomas has a lot of their polars.

Old August 20th 04, 04:11 AM
Paul Remde

Hi,

Several years ago I wanted their test data polar for the Ventus B. I sent
an e-mail to a contact name from the web site. I was given information on
how to order the test data polar for my Ventus B. I sent payment (in
Deutsch Marks I believe) and they sent me the data. It was no big deal. I
can't recall how much I paid for the data.

Paul Remde

Old August 20th 04, 08:55 AM
Bert Willing

Fred Thomas is a (passive) member of the Akaflieg Braunschweig, and he is
highly regarded by everybody...
Keeping a published full report on all measurements (and this doesn't
concern only performance data) up to date is quite a job, and the members of
the Akafliegs/Idaflieg don't care about that - they have other things to do.
So basically these are internal reports, and if you want a copy of one of
it, you go and ask for it.
It's their time and work spent on the measurements, and it's up to them to
decide what to do with it. Are they worth anything? - at least, there are no
better measurements out there :-)

--
Bert Willing

ASW20 "TW"