Student motivation

Old June 1st 12, 05:34 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Bill D

Default Student motivation

I have a number of ratings. I approached training for each them the
same way. I got my glider ratings in an extremely informal club
environment and my airplane ratings at small Part 61 flight schools.

My goals we
1. Get the rating in the minimum time at the minimum cost.
2. Achieve the highest level of competency possible so I would be safe
exercising the privileges of the rating.
3. Work out a plan to maintain that competency.

I strongly advocate the this approach to all students. The ones who
accept the advice, do extremely well. The ones who "just show up"
once every month or so expecting the instructor to do everything get
frustrated and start pointing fingers at the "system" whatever it
happens to be.

I knew I could not achieve my goals if my approach were "passive" so I
took charge of my training. First, I read books to prepare for the
written. If a weekend "cram class" was available, I took it. Then I
took practice exams until I could consistently score in the high
90's. When I had done this, I took the actual written.

With the written in hand, I was ready to start flight instruction. I
sat down with my instructor to work out a syllabus suited for me.
With the syllabus in hand, I again hit the books. At the beginning of
each flight instruction session, my instructor and I discussed the
session in advance to assure I had all the knowledge required and
thoroughly understood what would be expected of me. We then flew off
that part of the syllabus. Some instructors were not amenable to this
so I found other instructors.

Using this approach, I took the check rides for all my new ratings
with the minimum hours the FAA allows - and passed. As an example, I
took my instrument checkride with 40.1 hours of instruction in my
logbook. 20 of these were simulator time and 20.1 were in-flight hood
time.

Even with a new rating in hand I knew I still had lots to learn. I
searched for pilots with years of experience doing what I wanted to
do. It didn't matter if they were instructors or not. I was looking
for practical knowledge, not logbook endorsements.

An example was a pilot who flew packages for FedEx in a Caravan. He
was out in the weather every night as a single pilot IFR operation. I
learned more about single-pilot bad-weather flying from him than I
could from any instructor.

For many years, whether I was instrument current or not, I took a
"competency check" flight every six months with a different CFII.
Then, I took great care never to fly into a situation which would push
me to the limits of that competency. I think this saved me several
times.

I just re-took my CFI-G check ride as I do every 2 years. I could
just go to a FIRC bull session or get the FAA to renew my certificate
but I choose to do it the hard way for my benefit and my students.

To summarize, students need to take charge of their training - it's
their butt on the line. No one else has as much at stake.
Old June 1st 12, 08:15 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
noel.wade

On Jun 1, 9:34*am, Bill D wrote:
I have a number of ratings. *I approached training for each them the
same way. *I got my glider ratings in an extremely informal club
environment and my airplane ratings at small Part 61 flight schools.

To summarize, students need to take charge of their training - it's
their butt on the line. *No one else has as much at stake.

Bill -

This is a great attitude and I (as well as many other glider pilots)
have gone down this same route. In our club we try to get all
students to be self-motivated and take control of their own destiny.

But it is important to note that guys like you and me (who will drive
hard for a goal, even in a non-structured environment) are the
exceptions rather than the rule. But I think that students who don't
work this way are not "lazy", nor are they "dumb", nor are they unfit
to be pilots.

People learn in different ways, at different speeds, and with
different methods. Some people need more guidance and structure.
Being motivated is one thing; but what I see in my areas is students
who aren't given a defined path. They have a GFH book and perhaps a
Syllabus (that may or may not be used in order), and that's it. I
think that many students in club environments (which are less-
structured than commercial operations in the US) are not given a clear
path or an idea of what items to focus on at various stages of their
flying. I see a need for the Instructor (or a third party) to step in
as a "mentor" and tell the student after each lesson what areas to
concentrate on, what they should learn next, etc. I've seen at least a
few operations where that doesn't happen - the instructor gives a
brief critique of the pilot's flight, signs their logbook, and then
lets the student wander away without further guidance.

Also, I think that culturally a lot of people are taught from an early
age to listen to instructors/teachers and not question them, or press
them. I believe that students need to know that its OK to question
your flight instructor, ask questions, push for details, etc. They
shouldn't just be passive and expect the instructor to remember (or
cover) everything.

--Noel
(who's perception of how instruction works is perhaps merely warped by
what he's seen locally)

Old June 1st 12, 09:20 PM
Ventus_a Ventus_a is offline
Senior Member

[quote=Bill D;815694]I have a number of ratings. I approached training for each them the
same way. I got my glider ratings in an extremely informal club
environment and my airplane ratings at small Part 61 flight schools.

My goals we
1. Get the rating in the minimum time at the minimum cost.
2. Achieve the highest level of competency possible so I would be safe
exercising the privileges of the rating.
3. Work out a plan to maintain that competency.

snip

Oh how I wish points 2 & 3 that were true of all.

Unfortunately some can't see past the first one and in the absence of the second and third goals I have in the last few years have seen people unwittingly do their best to wreck gliders, themselves and others.

It's a beautiful sport but deadly and unforgiving when the only goal is the first one

Well said Bill

:-) Colin
Old June 2nd 12, 01:37 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Roger Fowler[_2_]

To summarize, students need to take charge of their training - it's
their butt on the line. =A0No one else has as much at stake.

There is another party with something at stake. The club that needs new
members.

Roger

Old June 2nd 12, 03:04 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
T[_2_]

On Jun 1, 12:15*pm, "noel.wade" wrote:
On Jun 1, 9:34*am, Bill D wrote:

[...]

My primary students, we have a syllabus and a plan, they know what to
expect for the next session.
If they come to fly not having read the material, they get to read it
while I fly with a student that is prepared.

We get a lot of young teens, it's fun to watch them mature as they
gain experience and develop judgement. They are either motivated to
fly, or they are not, it's something the parents thought they might
like. The motivated ones will learn it is their responsibility to be
prepared for the lesson, they were given "homework" and if it's not
done, it's a wasted lesson.

That's part of learning responsibility for yourself and becoming a
mature adult. We've had more than a few parents comment on how their
teen has changed as they became more confident in themselves. They are
happier parents and confident young adults.

The student learns quickly to be prepared after being set aside to
read the material while another student flies in his spot that was
prepared.

Once they have solo'd, they are still supervised, prepped for the
written exam. But we end up waiting on birthdays to be eligible for
the check ride.

Old June 2nd 12, 05:36 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Bill D

On Jun 1, 9:34*am, Bill D wrote:

[...]

There is always a lot of discussion about "Learning Styles" implying
instruction methods and syllabi have to adapt to the student. While
this is true to a degree, there are limits.

I flew with a licensed pilot on a Flight Review who told me his
learning style is to "learn from doing" - nothing else, he said, works
for him. Hummm, OK - but the checkride didn't go well.

It appears this pilot was telling the truth. He simply ignores verbal
instruction and ground school. If he hasn't successfully performed a
maneuver hands-on, he doesn't feel he should know anything about it.
After a unacceptable aero tow where I had to take the controls, I
asked him to rock the wings while holding a constant heading ("Dutch
roll") and he used full rudder in the wrong direction. He ignored
advice from the back seat and continued to mangle the maneuver.

His "learning style" doesn't work. My assessment: He can't fly. I
intend to go back to the basic syllabus. He'll either relearn the
material the standard way or my pen stays in my pocket. There's just
so much an instructor can yield to a student.

It's the nature of flying that pilots will encounter situations they
haven't practiced. Some of these situations are too dangerous to
practice in advance. Academic knowledge is essential as is the
ability to imagine how to handle situations not practiced. Learning
from books and other pilots is a large part of becoming a good pilot.

New Student Tim[_6_] Piloting 0 October 30th 07 06:09 PM
CFI in IMC with Student Roy Page Owning 36 December 14th 05 06:43 PM
Inspiration by friends - mutal interest and motivation to get the PPL Gary G Piloting 1 October 29th 04 09:19 PM
Student as PIC in IMC? Geo. Anderson Instrument Flight Rules 40 May 29th 04 05:09 PM
IFR student Gerald Sylvester Instrument Flight Rules 22 December 14th 03 01:47 PM