NDB IAPs... going... gone

Old August 17th 05, 06:29 PM

Default NDB IAPs... going... gone

I got a much thicker than usual packet from Jeppesen yesterday, and the
bulk of the changes were the removal of dozens of NDB IAPs. I had heard
that the FAA was looking to decomission a lot of "redundant" NDB
appoaches, but was surprised to see that they were really gone so soon.

I guess there's nothing wrong with that, progress and all. But, having
only done a few years of instrument flying (and never flying an NDB
approach for "real") I was surprised at the sadness and nostalgia I
felt for some old practice favorites I was pulling out of my book. OAK
NDB 27R

That said, I really hope they don't take away the compass locators on
localizer and ILS approaches. I don't know why, but I love watching
that needle flip around when I pass the marker. It's very satisfying
having a totally separate and simple system confirm your location. But
I guess they'll be going soon, too, as there's little reason to
maintain them.

I feel like my flying club is one of the last holdouts on getting IFR
GPSes in their aircraft, but considering the number of RNAV/GPS plates
that are going *into* the books, I think the writing is on the wall.

-- dave j

Old August 17th 05, 07:00 PM
Steven P. McNicoll

"Paul Tomblin" wrote in message

Here in Rochester, they rewrote the ILS approaches to use intersections
instead of the BREIT LOM first several months ago, and then decomissioned
the NDB28 approach that used BREIT last revision.

Probably just a coincidence. Other NDB approaches have been deleted where
the LOMs remain in use.

Old August 17th 05, 07:20 PM
Scott Moore

[...]

See if you can get ahold of one they are ripping out cheap, then set it
up in your back yard and run practice approaches with it.

No, not kidding. Surely the FAA/FCC would let someone set one up
in Arizona or something for all the old guys to use. Can you still set
up a four course range ?

Old August 17th 05, 07:35 PM

I could not agree more. It's a totally new ongoing expense. It used to
be that pilots were responsible for their own nav data (ie, charts and
plates) and now the club is going to be responsible for it. Just a bit
more squeeze, especially considering that the pilots are still going to
have to have current charts/plates.

It would be better if there were some other suppliers who could provide
database updates -- giving a little competition. I think that some of
the smaller handheld GPS companies don't use Jepp data, but take the
gov't data and reformat it themselves and provide it for their
customers.

Does Jepp have some kind of exclusive contract with the gov't?

-- dave j

Old August 17th 05, 09:13 PM
Paul Tomblin

In a previous article, said:
It would be better if there were some other suppliers who could provide
database updates -- giving a little competition. I think that some of
the smaller handheld GPS companies don't use Jepp data, but take the
gov't data and reformat it themselves and provide it for their
customers.

The ones that don't use Jepp data are generally using DAFIF, which may be
going away soon. See
http://navaid.com/dafif.html for details. They also
have the huge advantage that because they're doing data for handhelds,
PDAs and/or flight simulators, they don't have large liability concerns
the way Jepp does. Jepp charges a lot for their data because morons like
Ron Brown's familiy sues them for an accident that is not their fault.

--
Paul Tomblin http://xcski.com/blogs/pt/
DON'T MAKE THAT FACE WHEN I TELL YOU TO READ THE F*CKING MANUAL! IT'S GOOD FOR
Old August 17th 05, 10:27 PM
Michael

No, not kidding. Surely the FAA/FCC would let someone set one up
in Arizona or something

The FAA couldn't care less. If you don't jump through the hoops to
have it inspected, you can still have it shown on the sectional but it
will be noted as VFR use only.

The FCC will require you to license the transmitter, but it's very
doable.

There are NDB's sitting on private fields. Some even have private
approaches charted, others are VFR only.

Michael

Old August 17th 05, 10:58 PM
Mark Hansen

On 8/17/2005 14:27, Michael wrote:

No, not kidding. Surely the FAA/FCC would let someone set one up
in Arizona or something

The FAA couldn't care less. If you don't jump through the hoops to
have it inspected, you can still have it shown on the sectional but it
will be noted as VFR use only.

The FCC will require you to license the transmitter, but it's very
doable.

There are NDB's sitting on private fields. Some even have private
approaches charted, others are VFR only.

Michael

Couldn't you just use a local AM radio station? Of course, it's not
likely to be aligned with the runway, but then neither are some other
official approaches.

--
Mark Hansen, PP-ASEL, Instrument Student
Sacramento, CA
Old August 18th 05, 12:15 AM
Michael

Couldn't you just use a local AM radio station?

Nah. Doesn't really give you the flavor of a real approach. The
transmitter is high quality, high power, and properly tuned so the
needle is rock steady on all but the worst receivers. Listening to the
transmission is not nearly as annoying as listening to those dits and
dahs. Makes it just too easy.

Michael