Need Info On Reamers

Old January 24th 07, 01:39 AM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
Dan[_2_]

Default Need Info On Reamers

Maxwell wrote:
"Morgans" wrote in message
"Capt. Geoffrey Thorpe" The Sea Hawk at wow way d0t com wrote

You are talking about grinding the OD of one of these bad boys?
http://www.woodcraft.com/family.aspx?familyid=8311

Yep/ That's the type.

Make a widget to hold a small angle grinder on its side, with a pivot and
a screw for advancing the grinder a bit at a time. Make it so that it
will work clamped to a drill press table.

Put the drill bit in the drill press, and push the bit up and down past
the spinning grinder. Advance the grinder a bit at a time, and stop to
check the progress often.

It works. I've done it before. I am a bit "Rube Goldbergish" at times.
That comes in handy, for a homebuilder.

Of course, if you know someone who works in a machine shop, he could do
the job in a tenth of the time. Where's the fun in that, though?
--
Jim in NC

I think you and Dan have had a little too much torpedo juice!

'scuse me, I don't think battery acid is good to drink. I prefer the
good stuff: Pepsi™.

Dan, U.S. Air Force, retired
Old January 24th 07, 04:06 AM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
Maxwell

"Dan" wrote in message
Maxwell wrote:
"Morgans" wrote in message
[...]

Torpedo juice was supposed to be alchol. Ref:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Torpedo_Juice
Don't you remember Buster Keaton drinking torpedo juice in the old Muscle
Beach Party movies.

Old January 24th 07, 05:42 AM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
Dan[_2_]

Maxwell wrote:
"Dan" wrote in message
Maxwell wrote:
"Morgans" wrote in message
[...]

The old torpedoes did burn alcohol. The running gag in McHale's Navy
TV series and many movies is they would drink the stuff. If memory
serves it wasn't safe to drink since it was wood alcohol. The problem
with alcohol burning in torpedoes is you get wakes that can be seen
visually and heard by hydrophones. That's why they went to batteries for
electric drive. That and gyros could be electric instead of pressure driven.

Dan, U.S. Air Force, retired
Old January 24th 07, 07:35 AM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
Morgans

"Dan" wrote

The old torpedoes did burn alcohol. The running gag in McHale's Navy TV
series and many movies is they would drink the stuff. If memory serves it
wasn't safe to drink since it was wood alcohol. The problem with alcohol
burning in torpedoes is you get wakes that can be seen visually and heard
by hydrophones. That's why they went to batteries for electric drive. That
and gyros could be electric instead of pressure driven.

Interesting, but your post made me run to Goggle and investigate. I did not
think batteries were the only thing being used, because we had a very
controversial hazardous waste incinerator nearby, and it burned a LOT of old
torpedo fuel, which was said to be very nasty stuff.

The fuel used since WWII was called OTTO fuel , and later OTTO II fuel. It
of course has its own oxidizer in the fuel.

The history of the torpedo since WWII is split between chemical fuel and
battery power for propulsion. The battery gained ground until the Soviet
subs got so fast that the battery powered torpedoes were not fast enough,
then the chemical fuels came back. The methods of combustion ranged from
steam generation for turbines or jet propulsion, to combustion engines, some
with radical designs like pistons driving external swashplates.

So, if OTTO fuels contain alcohol, I might be guilty of breathing my torpedo
juice.... g

Nevertheless, I have done some pretty strange tool modifications, with a
minimum of sophisticated tools at hand.

This was only a crude drill modification. It does not have to be perfect to
work well. Modify, measure, test, repeat as necessary, to get desired
result.

Or was that the instructions on my shampoo? ;-)
--
Jim in NC

Old January 24th 07, 02:07 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
Dan[_2_]

Morgans wrote:

"Dan" wrote

[...]

In the 1960s the batteries in some U.S. torpedoes had a tendency to
over heat and were so dangerous they were being recalled and repaired.
Apparently Scorpion's torpedo batteries weren't replaced and a cook off
is suspected in causing the boat's demise.

As for tool modifications I used to be a gunsmith and found it easier
and cheaper to make or modify tools. Then a divorce came along and some
other gunsmith bought 'em up. He would ask me what a tool or widget was
for and I'd tell him about a Schmedlapp Schutzenboomer model
Blowupinthefacen I worked on 20 years before.

Dan, U.S. Air Force, retired
Old January 24th 07, 10:08 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
Blueskies

"Morgans" wrote in message ...
:
: This was only a crude drill modification. It does not have to be perfect to
: work well. Modify, measure, test, repeat as necessary, to get desired
: result.
:
: Or was that the instructions on my shampoo? ;-)
: --
: Jim in NC
:

Definitely too much of some kind of juice!

;-)

Dan D.

Old April 30th 07, 01:36 AM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
Roger (K8RI)

On Sat, 20 Jan 2007 22:49:56 -0600, "Highflyer" wrote:

"DonMorrisey" wrote in message
roups.com...
I'm trying to figure out how and where to buy reamers. I need to
create some 5/8" and 1/2" holes in ultra high molecular weight
polyethylene blocks for my control system. The aileron push tubes
slide thorugh the blocks and the aileron actuators mount in the blocks
as well. The mounting component of my aileron actuator is 5/8", so
when buying the .6250" reamer is that already slightly oversized? I
have been told the holes should be oversized by .002". I have looked
for reamers on line but don't know if what I'm buying is the right
size, there is little or no description for them.

Can someone tell me what I should look for in buying these tools and
where may be the best place to do so?

Thanks. Don

Or, if not MacMaster Carr, Check MHC online. ( Manhattan Supply Company )
They do an unbelieveable job of stocking every thing in their catalog. I
once ordered a six foot long length of 1 1/4 inch ACME threaded rod, with
nuts. It arrived the next day by UPS Ground!

Highflyer
Highflight Aviation Services
Pinckneyville Airport ( PJY )

PS: Note, the Pinckneyville 2007 Flyin is coming up May 18, 19, and 20!
Plan now so you don't miss it. :-)

Please drop me a note off list. I seem to have misplaced your old
address. I don't believe you read the one above very often.

Roger (N833R World's oldest Debonair).
any of my old addresses except the rdhalste one will work.

Wire Strike Info Ol Shy & Bashful Piloting 13 August 18th 06 03:33 AM
Helicopter Physics info online anywhere?? [email protected] Rotorcraft 4 April 24th 04 04:18 PM
Mooney info eddie Owning 13 March 12th 04 06:42 PM
POSA Carb Info and HAPI Engine Info Bill Home Built 0 March 8th 04 08:23 PM
Starting new info site need info from the pros MRQB Piloting 7 January 5th 04 03:20 AM