CC'ing Your Heads

Old January 20th 09, 11:55 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt

Default CC'ing Your Heads

If you'll go to my blog (bobhooversblog.blogspot.com) and enter
BURETTE as the search seed in the little white window in the upper
left of the screen, you'll be presented with an article with the same
title as this message which explains what's involved in adjusting the
volume of your combustion chambers.

Like most of my articles, this one has generated the usual rants from
the guys who have built a million engines without using any of the
procedures I've advocated over the years. The funny thing about those
procedures is that I'm not the guy who dreamed them up. All of these
procedures, in whole or in part, can be found in the Factory Workshop
Manual from Volkswagen. All I've done is 'translate' the procedures
by describing how I did them, or described how to make the tools
needed to accomplish them.

This particular article, having been written in the late 1980's...
back when I was doing everything with film and the drawings in pen &
ink, appears on the blog without any illustrations at all. The
supporting illustrations had to be run through a scanner, then
adjusted for contrast or color balance, then cropped to fit a
particular 'box' in the Adobe file, then.... on and on and on... As
you can see, it never got done. That is, the book of which this was
to be a part, never got written.

Nowadays it's so easy to snap a digital image and insert it into a
file, I'm a bit ashamed for nor having done so with all of these older
articles. But there's only so much time in a day and I somehow manage
to burn it up without having completed all the items on my 'to-do'
list.

For some, the printed word simply isn't enough. They need to SEE how
the procedure is done. So I will try to insert enough graphical
information to get you started.

One thing that many find to be an obstacle is the plastic cover-
plates. Others have trouble tracking down an accurate burette. And
more than a few don't have the rotary tools needed to ENLARGE the
combustion chamber. That's all you ever need do, you know... make
the LITTLE chamber(s) bigger. And as with computing Compression
Ratio, you are not required to do all FOUR chambers nor cylinders, you
must simply adjust the THREE to match the ONE which is of the proper
size... or as near to it as you care to go.

-Bob
Old January 21st 09, 10:15 AM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
bod43

On 20 Jan, 23:55, " wrote:
If you'll go to my blog (bobhooversblog.blogspot.com) and enter
BURETTE as the search seed in the little white window in the upper

Bob,
Thanks for your writings, all very enjoyable and informative.
I am not active in this field but it makes a good break
from reading about computer networks.

Everyone,
Please ignore the rest if you like (well you will do that anyway
- ignore it if you like but it piqued my interest.

For how long has combustion chamber volume balancing
in the US been based on the metric system?

Whatever happened to CI'ing?

I'm in the UK and I am pretty sure I have never seen a non-
metric burette, starting from school in the 60's. By then
school science was all metric. I did an advanced
mechanics course that used Imperial units in my last year
but that was exceptional - and somewhat confusing too.
Slugs, poundles - IIRC.

Old January 21st 09, 01:20 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
Maxwell[_2_]

wrote in message
[...]

Another good reference for this type of engine "blue printing" is the work
of NASCAR racer Smokey Yunick. Although he wrote several good books, and was
a very popular columnist for Popular Mechanics and Circle Track magazines,
his "Smokey Yunick's Power Secrets" alone was a very good primer for the
type of work you touch on here.

While a bit expensive for the every day automotive overhaul business, I have
always wondered why some of these techniques were not standard in the
aircraft industry.

What kind of problems do your readers report with plastic cover plates?

Old January 21st 09, 02:29 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
cavedweller

On Jan 21, 5:15*am, bod43 wrote:
On 20 Jan, 23:55, " wrote:

[...]

Combustion chamber measurement for Chrysler engines in the 70s was in
CCs (or mL probably more correctly).
Old January 21st 09, 02:36 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
Peter Dohm

For how long has combustion chamber volume balancing
in the US been based on the metric system?

I don't know either, but I only heard this part of blueprinting described in
metric terms in the early 60s, when I was in high school.

Peter

Old January 21st 09, 04:22 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt

On Jan 21, 2:15*am, bod43 wrote:

For how long has combustion chamber volume balancing
in the US been based on the metric system?

In so far as I know, just about forever. The United States was one of
the first nations to advocate the use of the Metric System (in 1866 --
looong before GB, by the way). Congress re-affirmed our
'Metrification' in the early 1950's and AGAIN in the 1970's, but the
American Congress being the best government money can buy, while our
Legislators established the Metric System as the law of the land they
provided NO FUNDS for the conversion to metric units, nor any
penalties for failing to adopt the standards. The Library of Congress
was the only entity directly effected by the adoption of metric
standards, they asked Congress for the necessary funds OR permission
to have the law set aside in their particular case. The exemption was
immediately granted and the pattern for that exemption has since been
used for literally hundreds of other agencies and corporations.

You really gotta love them politicians :-) For the past sixty years
our vote has not gone to the man who can do us the most good but the
one that does us the least harm.

-R.S.Hoover

PS -- Whatever happened to CI'ing?

I donno. Ask whats-his-name.

Old January 22nd 09, 02:03 AM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt

On Jan 21, 5:20*am, "Maxwell" #$$9#@%%%.^^^ wrote:

What kind of problems do your readers report with plastic cover plates?

With rare exception, the only thing I hear is the sort of thing you
hear from ANYONE who has no experience working with acrylic sheet or
plate: That is, wrong drill-bit shape or speed, wrong saw-blade;
wrong drill-bit and so forth.

The exceptions have to do with plate thickness, cost and so forth.

One asked if GLASS would be okay. I rogered that, asking him to
provide pix. Got a couple of B&W's . He apparently used the tempered
glass from a grocer's meat locker.

-Bob

New Heads [email protected] Home Built 2 January 20th 09 07:03 PM
Talking heads Jim[_10_] Naval Aviation 27 April 24th 07 09:40 PM
chart heads-up Jose Instrument Flight Rules 2 September 29th 06 07:25 PM
Traffic Heads-up [email protected] Products 1 July 7th 05 04:50 PM
Heads up on KIAG Chris Piloting 7 April 17th 05 09:26 PM