Standard Class Natl's. low turnout?

Old August 24th 03, 12:15 AM
Slingsby

(JJ Sinclair) wrote in message ...

I thoroughly enjoyed the contest, even though I placed 8th out of the 12
contestants. That's about par for me, my soaring fortunes seem to have peeked
at the regional lavel. I was particularly happy with the performance of the
Genesis 2. I couldn't see a teaspoon full of difference between it and the
Discus 2 or the LS-8. I was able to win a day with my Genesis. I hate to admit it, but that was my first day win in a nationals in something like 25 years that I have been racing these glass toys.
JJ Sinclair

There is much more than a teaspoon full of difference. The Genesis 2
is a much better researched, designed, and manufactured glider than
the Discus 2 or LS-8. (or ASW-28) The Genesis 2 has an enormous
cockpit which can easily and COMFORTABLY fit a 6'5", 242Lb pilot.
Small people also fit. It has two layers of Kevlar plus carbon fiber
in the entire cockpit, not a thin strip of carbon on either side for
stiffening. The wing spars are made from Graphlite Rod, not rovings,
and the spar design failed in testing at 19g. (assuming a 260Lb. pilot
and 50Lb. of equipment) Most other designs fail at 10 to 12g when they
use enough glue. The Genesis 2 uses the same Cleveland wheel and brake
that Cessna uses on the 150; overkill for sure, but then JJs' Genesis
showed that the design could be ground looped around a metal post
violently enough to tear off 6 feet of the left wing WITHOUT snapping
the tail boom and/or destroying the control linkages in the tail.