A aviation & planes forum. AviationBanter

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Go Back   Home » AviationBanter forum » rec.aviation newsgroups » Soaring
Site Map Home Register Authors List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Web Partners

18m Nationals weight restriction at Seminole

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old March 9th 18, 02:06 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Andrzej Kobus
external usenet poster

Default 18m Nationals weight restriction at Seminole

I just found out that due to a short runway at Seminole a decision was made to restrict the weight of each glider to 1150 lb. Supposedly the decision was made after consultation with pilots, not sure with whom. I would love to know who thought that it was a great idea. This leaves gliders with higher wing area (mostly self launchers) at disadvantage. E.g. ASH-31 Mi would have to fly with lower wing loading by 1.1 lb/sq foot comparing to ASG-29. It puzzles me greatly who made this decision and why. A much more reasonable solution would have been to limit the wing loading for each glider. That is how it is done in a Grand Prix event. In my opinion it is the only fair way to limit weight at such a low, for 18 m class, weight range. I don't think an organizer should be able to limit weight effectively creating a different class. I decided to withdraw from the competition. It is one more reason contest participation is dropping.