best glider for new pilots?

Old April 29th 18, 08:20 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Paolo Guardigli

Default best glider for new pilots?

Hi everybody,
can you suggest some good and safe glider to start ?
Thanks to everybody

Paolo
Old April 29th 18, 09:23 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
John Foster

On Sunday, April 29, 2018 at 1:20:08 AM UTC-6, Paolo Guardigli wrote:
Hi everybody,
can you suggest some good and safe glider to start ?
Thanks to everybody

Paolo

How much money do you have to spend?
Old April 29th 18, 10:25 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Paul T[_4_]

wrote:
Hi everybody,
can you suggest some good and safe glider to start ?
Thanks to everybody

Paolo

How much money do you have to spend?

Ask your Chief Flying Instructor - they should know what level of skill
you have and what might be most suitable for you. Some gliders are
safe for some but not for others. More modern European gliders have to
meet higher standards of crashworthiness - but having the skill set not
to crash is more important.

Old April 29th 18, 11:18 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Bruce Hoult

On Sunday, April 29, 2018 at 7:20:08 PM UTC+12, Paolo Guardigli wrote:
Hi everybody,
can you suggest some good and safe glider to start ?
Thanks to everybody

Paolo

As well as the pilot's skills, it also depends on the environment.

In an open flat place with plenty of thermals and many small fields the answer might be something like a PW-5, Ka6, or 1-26.

In another place with no landable farms but long airfields spaced far apart, winds, strong lift and strong sink it might be essential to have a glider with high L/D (and desirable water ballast and high rough air speed).
Old April 29th 18, 12:33 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Paolo Guardigli

Il giorno domenica 29 aprile 2018 09:20:08 UTC+2, Paolo Guardigli ha scritto:
Hi everybody,
can you suggest some good and safe glider to start ?
Thanks to everybody

Paolo

My question was referring to the purchase between an standard cirrus and a DG 100
What is your opinion (I mean in general) without any responsability of course
Old April 29th 18, 09:46 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Cirrus is a great value with similar performance to the DG. The DG is a nicer glider though with a modern cockpit and easier handling for about 8-10k more. Others will stress the importance of a good trailer too.
Old April 29th 18, 10:19 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
John Foster

How much of a big deal is the pitch instability due to the all flying elevator, for a new glider pilot?
Old April 29th 18, 11:46 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

There is no somple answer to the question, the best glider is the one you can afford. Most glass 15m gliders are fairly easy to fly, if you trained in a glass trainer.
I trained in a first model twin Astir, and have never had an issue converting to other glass gliders.
Points that maybe relevant are, nose hook for aerotow, powerfull airbrakes rather than flap only brakes, and tailplane with elevtor rather than all moving.
Best optionis to try different types before you buy.
In the lower cost glass end, The Astir CS, Libelle and club Libelle, Dg101, ASW19, Pegase, Hornet and Standard Cirrus with fixed tailplane are all good options.
If you can afford it, an LS4 or Discus.
Next comes the Mosquito, Mini Nimbus, DG200 LS3 and ASW20, All easy enough to fly
Generally speaking the newer the glider, the easier to fly.
I recently bought my first glider, having 220 hours, I bought a DG 200/17C.

Old April 30th 18, 09:28 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Just looking at the flight characteristics, a DG100 with a fixed stabilizer (version DG100G or DG101G) will be the better choice for a pilot with low experience and training. The Standard Cirrus is a nice glider but requires some more attention in flight due to the all-flying tail and the lower pitch stability in general.
Old April 30th 18, 11:02 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Senna Van den Bosch

Op zondag 29 april 2018 09:20:08 UTC+2 schreef Paolo Guardigli:
Hi everybody,
can you suggest some good and safe glider to start ?
Thanks to everybody

Paolo

I bought myself a DG-101, single canopy with all flying elevator at 73 solo hours. I do have experience in LS4, Pegase, Twins and some wooden ships. I don't regret buying it, it handles really well. The elevator is something to get used to, but everyone tends to make it scary to start with, but it really is quite all right if you pay attention.