Trailer license problem

Old May 29th 18, 09:07 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Charlie M. (UH & 002 owner/pilot)

Default Trailer license problem

Yes, as mentioned, which office you use can make a HUGE difference.
Lucky for me, the daughter of my old neighbor works at a local NJ DMV. When I go in for almost anything and she is working, she see's me and waves me up front (****ing off others in the line), but hey, an employee waved me up......
Usually in and out, no drama beyond others in the line.
Old May 29th 18, 09:14 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Papa3[_2_]

FWIW - I had the exact same experience in NJ years ago. I had a BRAND NEW trailer with all of the appropriate DOT forms, invoice from the factory, etc. First location said it would be impossible without all sorts of notarized stuff from the German manufacturer. On a hunch, I went to a rural county where they got it done in about 10 minutes. Turns out they routinely registered Brenderup horse trailers from Europe and were used to the documentation.

YMMV

P3
Old May 29th 18, 09:35 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Tom BravoMike

On Tuesday, May 29, 2018 at 3:14:16 PM UTC-5, Papa3 wrote:
FWIW - I had the exact same experience in NJ years ago. I had a BRAND NEW trailer with all of the appropriate DOT forms, invoice from the factory, etc. First location said it would be impossible without all sorts of notarized stuff from the German manufacturer. On a hunch, I went to a rural county where they got it done in about 10 minutes. Turns out they routinely registered Brenderup horse trailers from Europe and were used to the documentation.

YMMV

P3

As we talk about our experiences, when I was registering my trailer in MI I was asked to show a proof of the weight. I had the original factory (Cobra) document from Germany (from 1980s), giving the weight in kilograms. The lady at the counter told me: "Ain't kilograms here, has to be pounds". Spindelbeger were very understanding and sent me a new document with kilograms and pounds, and it worked out. I thanked them at the last SSA Convention in Reno and they told me that it's their practice now to give the weight now in both kgs and lbs. So much for the US love for the imperial units.
Old May 29th 18, 11:17 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

On Tuesday, May 29, 2018 at 1:35:18 PM UTC-7, Tom BravoMike wrote:
The lady at the counter told me: "Ain't kilograms here, has to be pounds".

Good thing you weren't bringing it in from New Mexico, she might have insisted on customs forms as well.

5Z
Old May 29th 18, 11:27 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Retting

Two trailers...data plates....2 rivets.....drill.....2 screws.......
Old May 29th 18, 11:55 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

On Tuesday, May 29, 2018 at 6:27:32 PM UTC-4, Retting wrote:
Two trailers...data plates....2 rivets.....drill.....2 screws.......

6 trailers
All "homebuilt"
4 homebuilt by Cobra
1 By Eberle
1 by Schweizer
4 plates
All New Jersey cares about is getting the sales tax.
Done
UH
Old May 30th 18, 12:26 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Renny[_2_]

On Tuesday, May 29, 2018 at 4:17:33 PM UTC-6, wrote:
On Tuesday, May 29, 2018 at 1:35:18 PM UTC-7, Tom BravoMike wrote:
The lady at the counter told me: "Ain't kilograms here, has to be pounds".

Good thing you weren't bringing it in from New Mexico, she might have insisted on customs forms as well.

5Z

Speaking of New Mexico. A few years ago I needed to register a new LAK trailer. When I went to the local MVD office, they essentially thought it was from Transylvania, rather than Lithuania, as they were not at all "familiar" and had never heard of Lithuania. It took perhaps 6 or 7 visits to various MVD offices, both state run and privately run, before I was finally able to convince them that I really was not a vampire (it was daytime after all) and that this was all legitimate. I provided them many documents from the factory and customs and finally convinced them that all was legitimate. Finally, just as we were about to complete the transaction, we ran into the USD-Euro issue. This was critical as they based the NM sales tax on the selling price and the my purchase price was in Euros. I then returned on the next visit with a document that I created showing the conversion rate of Euros to USD based on the ECB exchange rate on the date on the bill of sale. That finally did the trick and I finally secured that "Permanent" New Mexico Registration. It's never a dull moment when trying to register a glider trailer built in "Transylvania...." and no, my name is not Vlad...
Old May 30th 18, 12:59 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Charlie M. (UH & 002 owner/pilot)

Are you trying to say you don't suck........blood.......;-)

Crude humor, sorry......

Glad you got it done.....
Old May 30th 18, 01:12 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
KEN

On Monday, May 28, 2018 at 2:49:13 PM UTC-4, PapaTango of Indiana wrote:
I purchased a glider. FAA registration was done with the FAA bill of sale, had no problem. The trailer and the glider are in Pennsylvania, have no license plate and have only a 10 years old registration from Florida. It never accrued to me that my Indiana state license office will not accept the FAA bill of sale for the license plate application. Good lesson to you all, to have a separate bill of sale from your own state’s official motor vehicle form. Now, I have to chase the seller from overseas to sign a new form. However, there are more issues. This trailer never had a title being registered in Florida and Indiana will not issue a new license plate without a title and that local bill of sale. Many things could be done if the trailer would be back in my home state. I am trying to tow the trailer home soon and not hand it over to a commercial shipper. You guys must know something how to get a temporary sticker or something from PA. Do I need a temp travel pass from each state that I will cross? How does this work?
Thank you for your time!

The first thing you need to do when dealing with a government agency(such as the DMV) is to ask what you need for a trailer title. In Florida they require the trailer to weigh 2000 lbs. Next question. If my glider trailer weights 2000 lbs. I can get a title? Answer, yes you can. So go to Home Depot buy enough sand bags to bring your trailer weight to 2000 lbs. Then to the scales and obtain a certified weight and take that back to the DMV and get your title. It works!!
Old May 30th 18, 04:04 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
rj

The first thing you need to do when dealing with a government agency(such as the DMV) is to ask what you need for a trailer title. In Florida they require the trailer to weigh 2000 lbs. Next question. If my glider trailer weights 2000 lbs. I can get a title? Answer, yes you can. So go to Home Depot buy enough sand bags to bring your trailer weight to 2000 lbs. Then to the scales and obtain a certified weight...

Not necessarily. Four months ago I registered my trailer in Florida as a homebuilt with a weight of 740 pounds empty. I received my registration and license place in about 15 minutes. Painless.