Why did Britain win the BoB? How could have the Allies have done even better? Homework help!

Old October 8th 03, 05:15 AM
John Freck

Keith Willshaw wrote:

Snip

No that would have been a bloody miracle since there never was such
a thing as a Hurricane Super Marine Fighter

But 'Hurrican or Super Marine Spitfire', and it is considered
exteremly poor manners to point out less that proof solid writting
error on the usenet which is a chat environment. Look, I'm not your
pupil, buddy.

I find it important to
note: 'tactical' and 'strategic' are not opposite. The sentence
'There are tactical variations of strategic bombing that include type
of aircraft used, altitude and speed at moment of bomb release,
maginitude, and target.' makes sense, and the inverse is true. There
are strategeis behind tactical choises. In any case, the RAF can from
July 1st, 1940 favor fighters even more than they did, and use fighter
bombers more over bombers and use bombing better.

They DID favor fighters, there was no such thing as the fighter bomber
at the time and the bomber force was being used in the tactical
role to attack the invasion barges. The strategic attack on German industry
didnt begin in earnest until 1942.

You are losing all context. I mearly encouraged and elaborated upon a
posters suggestion. The whole idea of killing off 4-engined bombers
is an extention of the chat Herbert Pocket posted. As I have already
told you, I admit the bomber issue as I cast has more and more
relevance further down time. Your point on Britain have a complete
lack of fighter bombers is of course true, and from July 1st, 1940 it
would be smart for them to get cracking.

Snip

Furthermore,
you indicate strategic bombing must be "heavy" bombing as opposed

"light" bombing. I think you use you vocabulary differently than

me,

Thats for sure, I also know what missions RAF bomber command
flew in 1940 do you ?

I have the "The Times Atlas of the Second World War, edited by John
Keegan" open now.

I think you need to read up a little on the subject , here's a free clue.

Is everyone rude, where you come from? Do you have that Scottish
anger of something?

Of the 13,000 tons of bombs the RAF dropped in 1940 only
137 tons fell on Industrial towns, the majority were on airfields,
naval targets and troop concentrations.

You really need to re-read the thread carefully. Especially, look
where I am responding to herbert Pockets responce to me. It is nice
that the entire "conversation" is preserved.

These usually count as tactical missions.

In fact raids on tactical targets exceeded those on strategic ones
until 1942.

Of the 13,000 bombs dropped in 1940 5,000 were delivered by
Wellingtons (twin engined) , 3000 by Whitleys (twin engined),
2700 by Hampdens (twin engined), 2000 by Blenheims (twin engined)
and the remainder by the single engined Fairey battle.

The RAF also procured 3,500 bombers in 1940 and 4,500 bombers in 1941
and 6,000 bombers in 1942 and 8,000 bombers in 1943.

John Freck

Keith