Personal N-number?

Old February 11th 04, 12:25 PM
Steve

Default Personal N-number?

Does anyone have the FAA link and/or know the process, cost, etc
involved for obtaining a personalized N-number.

For example, maybe I want N172SS for my Cessna 172 and my name Steve
Smith.

thanks
Old February 11th 04, 12:49 PM
Steve Beaver

1 Ensure that the number you want is not in use (visit landings.com and
check the registration database)
2. Ensure that it is not on the reserved list, also a landing.com
database.
3 Call the FAA at (405) 954-3116 and reserve the number
4. Send them $10

om...

Old February 11th 04, 02:12 PM
EDR

In article , Steve
wrote:

Does anyone have the FAA link and/or know the process, cost, etc
involved for obtaining a personalized N-number.
For example, maybe I want N172SS for my Cessna 172 and my name Steve
Smith.

Go to www.faa.gov

follow the link for aircraft registration.
You can search to see if the number is already taken or reserved.
If it is not, you can reserve it online.
Old February 12th 04, 12:01 AM
Paul

You can check existing N numbers at
http://162.58.35.241/ACDATABASE/DEFimg.ASP

Try checking the number you're interested in. If it's in use, it'll tell
you who's the owner (address included) so I guess technically it would
be possible to "buy" any existing the N- number.

My half a cent ;-)

Paul

*** Sent via http://www.automationtools.com ***
Add a newsgroup interface to your website today.
Old February 12th 04, 12:11 AM
EDR

In article , Paul
wrote:
Try checking the number you're interested in. If it's in use, it'll tell
you who's the owner (address included) so I guess technically it would
be possible to "buy" any existing the N- number.

It has been done.
Old February 12th 04, 12:22 AM
G.R. Patterson III

Paul wrote:

Try checking the number you're interested in. If it's in use, it'll tell
you who's the owner (address included) so I guess technically it would
be possible to "buy" any existing the N- number.

AOPA did that with one of the 172s they gave away. It cost them several thousand
dollars. At a minimum, the existing owner will have to repaint the plane.

George Patterson
A diplomat is a person who can tell you to go to hell in such a way that
you look forward to the trip.
Old February 12th 04, 04:23 PM
No Spam

I guess technically it would
be possible to "buy" any existing the N- number.

Some time ago, I read that Nike bought "N1KE" from its then-current owner.

No Spam

Old February 12th 04, 05:12 PM
Ron Natalie

"No Spam" wrote in message ...
I guess technically it would
be possible to "buy" any existing the N- number.

Some time ago, I read that Nike bought "N1KE" from its then-current owner.

Also realize that certain combinations aren't valid. A friend thought N0PE would be
a neat number and nobody had it registered. When he tried to get it, he found out why.
You can't have a zero following the N.

Old February 13th 04, 02:09 AM
Ron Wanttaja

On Thu, 12 Feb 2004 16:23:51 GMT, No Spam wrote:

I guess technically it would
be possible to "buy" any existing the N- number.

Some time ago, I read that Nike bought "N1KE" from its then-current owner.

Yep...and the then-owner was famed aviation author Peter Lert. IIRC, he
had a glider and the trailer for it looked a lot like a Nike rocket. So he
requested and got the N1KE registration.

Years later, the sport-shoe people wanted to register their company
aircraft and found Peter's name. He won't say how much they paid him for
it, but he DOES say he hasn't had to buy a pair of shoes since...

Ron Wanttaja