Another black eye for GA

Old January 16th 04, 05:46 PM
Jack McAdams

Default Another black eye for GA

Just seen on Fox news:

The pilot of a Piper Cherokee was reportedly forced to land at a
Philadelphia area reliever airport after "flying right over" the
International Airport. The news reader also said that the pilot FLEW
NEAR A NUCLEAR POWER PLANT (emphasis from the news reader, not me).

Video showed the plane on the runway or taxiway surrounded by police
cars. The pilot was seen exiting the plane and assuming the prone
position on the ground.
Old January 16th 04, 10:01 PM
Dan Luke

"Jack McAdams" wrote:
Just seen on Fox news:
The news reader also said that the pilot FLEW
NEAR A NUCLEAR POWER PLANT
(emphasis from the news reader, not me).

Damned if they're going to let CBS out-alarm them! This is war!
--
Dan
C172RG at BFM

Old January 17th 04, 01:44 AM
Tom Sixkiller

"Dan Luke" wrote in message
"Jack McAdams" wrote:
Just seen on Fox news:
The news reader also said that the pilot FLEW
NEAR A NUCLEAR POWER PLANT
(emphasis from the news reader, not me).

Damned if they're going to let CBS out-alarm them! This is war!

So...which story was more newsworthy: CNN or Fox?

Old January 17th 04, 05:40 AM
David H

Dan Luke wrote:

"Jack McAdams" wrote:
Just seen on Fox news:
The news reader also said that the pilot FLEW
NEAR A NUCLEAR POWER PLANT
(emphasis from the news reader, not me).

Damned if they're going to let CBS out-alarm them! This is war!

Well, I didn't see how it was covered on Faux News, but on CBS (which
apparently now stands for Complete Bull Sh*t) they asked rhetorically
why the Cherokee wasn't intercepted by fighters and shot down.

Hard to top that.

David H
Boeing Field (BFI), Seattle, WA
Visit the Pacific Northwest Flying forum:
http://www.smartgroups.com/groups/pnwflying

Old January 17th 04, 03:20 PM
Dan Luke

"David H" wrote:
Damned if they're going to let CBS out-alarm them!
This is war!

Well, I didn't see how it was covered on Faux News, but on
CBS (which apparently now stands for Complete Bull Sh*t)
they asked rhetorically why the Cherokee wasn't intercepted
by fighters and shot down.

Yep, that trumps the "NUCLEAR POWER PLANT!!!!" hand waving from Faux. It
will be interesting to see how they top it.

Old January 17th 04, 06:20 PM
Tom Sixkiller

"Dan Luke" wrote in message
"David H" wrote:
Damned if they're going to let CBS out-alarm them!
This is war!

Well, I didn't see how it was covered on Faux News, but on
CBS (which apparently now stands for Complete Bull Sh*t)
they asked rhetorically why the Cherokee wasn't intercepted
by fighters and shot down.

Yep, that trumps the "NUCLEAR POWER PLANT!!!!" hand waving from Faux. It
will be interesting to see how they top it.

Was, or wasn't he, flying adjacent to a NUCLEAR POWER PLANT? You know...the
worst possible security risk?

Dan, you sound like you're trying to fill in the blanks of your
pre-conceived notions.

Old January 18th 04, 05:02 AM
David B. Cole

The question is how near the plant was he? I know the airport where
the guy is based and it happens to be near, yeah you guessed it, a
nuclear power plant. On a XC to Reading PA after my checkride I flew
right over the airport and the stacks of the power plant were about 4
miles off my left wing. So flying into Pottstown puts you in the
vicinity of a nuclear power plant no matter what.

Dave

Old January 18th 04, 05:35 AM
Dan Luke

"Tom Sixkiller" wrote:
Was, or wasn't he, flying adjacent to a NUCLEAR POWER PLANT?
You know...the worst possible security risk?

Oh dear, oh dear! Better ground all these dangerous little airplanes!
They might blow up a NUCLEAR POWER PLANT! You remind me of the Time
magazine picture of GA airplanes with a nuke plant in the background.

Dan, you sound like you're trying to fill in the blanks of your
pre-conceived notions.

You sound like CBS/Fox. Just which side of this thing are you on,
anyway?

Old January 18th 04, 02:07 PM
Neil Gould

Hi all,

Recently, Tom Sixkiller posted:

"Dan Luke" wrote in message
"David H" wrote:
Damned if they're going to let CBS out-alarm them!
This is war!

Well, I didn't see how it was covered on Faux News, but on
CBS (which apparently now stands for Complete Bull Sh*t)
they asked rhetorically why the Cherokee wasn't intercepted
by fighters and shot down.

Yep, that trumps the "NUCLEAR POWER PLANT!!!!" hand waving from
Faux. It will be interesting to see how they top it.

Was, or wasn't he, flying adjacent to a NUCLEAR POWER PLANT? You
know...the worst possible security risk?

What's the security risk, here? What do you think would happen if someone
flew a Cherokee into a plant?
Here are some things to consider:

* The easiest "target" would be one of the cooling towers. A Cherokee
would simply compact itself on the side of the towers and fall off.

* The reactor in the plants around here is surrounded by other buildings.
It would be *very* difficult to hit the building that contains the
reactor. But, the result of doing so with a Cherokee would be similar to
the result of the 172 that hit the office building in Fla. You might break
a window or two in the building.

The fear of danger caused by someone flying a GA plane into a nuclear
power plant is simply irrational. There is a *far* greater risk of
catastrophe from poor maintenance practices in the every day use of these
plants, as can be exemplified by the Davis-Besse fiasco that we're dealing
with here in Ohio.

I sure hope that the population of this country gets a clue sometime soon.

Neil

Old January 18th 04, 04:39 PM
Tom Sixkiller

"David B. Cole" wrote in message
m...
The question is how near the plant was he? I know the airport where
the guy is based and it happens to be near, yeah you guessed it, a
nuclear power plant. On a XC to Reading PA after my checkride I flew
right over the airport and the stacks of the power plant were about 4
miles off my left wing. So flying into Pottstown puts you in the
vicinity of a nuclear power plant no matter what.

Dave

Too bad their lack of omniscience missed that little point in the news
_brief_.

Let's see: CBS suggests he be shot down by an F-16 -- Fox make the point
that he flew neara nuclear plat (which he in fact did).

So......

"Dan Luke" wrote in message
"David H" wrote:
Damned if they're going to let CBS out-alarm them!
This is war!

Well, I didn't see how it was covered on Faux News, but on
CBS (which apparently now stands for Complete Bull Sh*t)
they asked rhetorically why the Cherokee wasn't intercepted
by fighters and shot down.

Yep, that trumps the "NUCLEAR POWER PLANT!!!!" hand waving from Faux.

It
will be interesting to see how they top it.

Was, or wasn't he, flying adjacent to a NUCLEAR POWER PLANT? You

know...the
worst possible security risk?

Dan, you sound like you're trying to fill in the blanks of your
pre-conceived notions.

FS: N.A.S.A. Astronauts "Autographed" 8x10 Photos J.R. Sinclair Aviation Marketplace 1 December 14th 04 04:37 PM
Black is black ! Dummy Owning 0 September 1st 04 05:19 PM
Black is black Dummy General Aviation 0 September 1st 04 05:19 PM
FS: N.A.S.A. Astronauts "Autographed" 8x10 Photos J.R. Sinclair Aviation Marketplace 0 January 5th 04 05:44 AM
Soviet Submarines Losses - WWII Mike Yared Military Aviation 4 October 30th 03 03:09 AM