Cloud Flying

Old August 24th 06, 09:44 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Shawn Knickerbocker

Default Cloud Flying

Snoop....

Thank you for this information. I've been wondering
about this very
subject. I'm just curious if you have discussed this
with your local
FSDO, and or any local air traffic controllers.

Yes…..the FSDO has no idea..I have been cloud flying
IMC for over 15 yrs. It’s legal if you are trained
properly & certify as well.

I'm still looking for the reg that says gliders don't
have to have the required 24 month
checks on their xponder, static system, etc. Where
do I find that?

Gliders do not need it! FAR 91.411 I believe…I do not
have my FAR’s in front of me…I am in Quatar. Also,
xponder not required under FAR 91.205 & 411. Xpoder
is required only in specified airspace, and that is
wavierable. Again check FAR 91. It’s all in there.

Also, your efis equipment, is it approved equipment?
I'm sure it's not,
say, some of that efis equipment that homebuilders
are putting in their
ships.

The EFIS I have selected is by Dyno Avionics. It does
not have to be approved. Each sailplane manufacture
states in their POH/Flt Manual what is required for
IMC flight..Usually it is just a T&B.

The equipment in your panel has to be approved for
IFR flight
doesn't it?

Not necessary, unless you installed a xponder, it must
be tested IAW FAR 91 & 43.

I know it looks and works great, but a lot, most of
its' not approved for IFR flight.

You are receiving bad information,. Experimental aircraft
can fly IFR/IMC, its address in their “Operational
Limitations”.

Also, when you receive your ATC clearance, how does
the controller give
you an altitude? In what format?

Usually a clearance is like this: JAX approach sailplane
253SK with a request over. JAX approach responds, go
ahead. Requesting IFR clearance or recovery, present
position to 15, 15,000. JAx approach response is usually,
hey is that you Shawn, then I am golden!!! LOL, squawk
4611, cleared to the HEG airport via radar vectors
climb & maintain 1-5, 15,000, approved as requested.
Then, I amend or change as required, when I get to
14,000 and climbing I will ask for a higher altitude.

There are a lot of questions that I need to answer
about IFR flight in
gliders. I know my local Flight Standard District Office
would have questions for me if I didn't do it right.

Questions for you: Are you instrument rated? ASE or
AME or hold an ATP ASE or ME rating? How current are
you? I recommend not flying IMC in a sailplane unless
you have more than a T&B. I have done it with a T&B
and it is difficult, especially turns. Straight decent
are easy or climbs.

Unfortunately, SSA will not print my complete article.
If you send me a tele # I can call…. you..

Thanks

Shawn

Old August 24th 06, 03:53 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
snoop

Shawn,

Thanks for all the info.

In regard to your questions about certificates, let's do the resume
over the phone. Suffice it to say, I'm very current.

Should I use the email address in your profile, minus the remove to
reply?

When do you hit US soil? Take care over there.

snoop