What's the pin for?

Old March 15th 07, 05:15 PM posted to alt.games.microsoft.flight-sim,rec.aviation.piloting
Tim

Default What's the pin for?

Mxsmanic wrote:
Tim writes:

too bad someone actually responded seriously.

Yes ... why interrupt sophomoric jokes with serious discussions of aviation?

And your straight-faced assertions that you are a pilot (or at least
know more about piloting that real pilots) and have flown Barons and
747s are supposed to be taken seriously? What's the use in giving
straight answers to someone such as yourself. You clearly have disdain
for real flying, real pilots and real airplanes. Your world is all
about make-believe. Why not go back to Dungeouns and Dragons. I hear
flying on a dragon is nice. I know someone with 240 hours on dragons.
Old March 15th 07, 07:22 PM posted to alt.games.microsoft.flight-sim,rec.aviation.piloting
Mxsmanic

Tim writes:

And your straight-faced assertions that you are a pilot (or at least
know more about piloting that real pilots) and have flown Barons and
747s are supposed to be taken seriously?

Even if I made these assertions, how people might take them is irrelevant, as
the purpose of the newsgroup is to discuss aviation, not credentials (or the
lack thereof).

People who are interested in a subject can do their own research and verify
what they've been told. People who are uninterested or simply lazy depend on
credentials, and often end up incorrect as a result.

You clearly have disdain for real flying, real pilots and real airplanes.

No. I'm impatient with stupidity; my people have learned to live without it.
Unfortunately, being a real pilot does not prevent one from being stupid.

Old March 15th 07, 07:24 PM posted to alt.games.microsoft.flight-sim,rec.aviation.piloting
Mxsmanic

Scet writes:

This can be gear pins on some aircraft, but will normally be all the pins
not just the nose.

Some aircraft have towbars (they are usually aircraft specific on large
aircraft) that will disengage the steering mechanism when properly engage.
An integral locking pin usually has to be pulled out of the way by hand tp
prevent inadvertant actuation of the disabling mechanism.

With some aircraft, the nose wheel steering wheel is used during normal taxi
operations and to maintian centre line during take off untill around 80kts
when the rudder is effective enough to do the job. The nose of the aircraft
is usually getting too light at this stage and becoming non effective.

Some aircraft landing gear are configured so as to have a rearward rake
about them. This means that to retract the gear it has to lift the aircraft
over centre to retract the gear. Some have a rigid link connected to the
strut scissor links and when the strut is compressed with weight on wheels,
the link is pushed upward and causes a hinged locking collar to pivot down
and prevent the retraction actuator from breaking the over centre down lock,
which may also have un undercarriage safety pin inserted through the area
that it breaks at. AP-3Cs have all three and if an under carriage line is
replaced or something else minor, like an uplock release cylinder, it can be
leak checked by selecting the under carriage up and down without fear of
retracting the gear. It sounds a bit louder than a household tap (fawcet)
being turned on then suddenly turned off.

The old Sabre fighter jets, like Kirk Olsens, had a button that would
retract the gear on the ground if the brakes failed. The seat, if I remember
rightly, wasn't much use on the ground.

Thanks for the cool details!

Old March 16th 07, 02:20 AM posted to alt.games.microsoft.flight-sim,rec.aviation.piloting
Darkwing

"Tim" wrote in message
Mxsmanic wrote:
Tim writes:

too bad someone actually responded seriously.

Yes ... why interrupt sophomoric jokes with serious discussions of
aviation?

And your straight-faced assertions that you are a pilot (or at least know
more about piloting that real pilots) and have flown Barons and 747s are
supposed to be taken seriously? What's the use in giving straight answers
to someone such as yourself. You clearly have disdain for real flying,
real pilots and real airplanes. Your world is all about make-believe.
Why not go back to Dungeouns and Dragons. I hear flying on a dragon is
nice. I know someone with 240 hours on dragons.

Thanks for the laugh, good stuff.

DW

Old March 16th 07, 04:16 AM posted to alt.games.microsoft.flight-sim,rec.aviation.piloting
PapaGeorge

If you takeoff with the gear pins still installed you're in for some
embarrassment.
The gear pins are just another safeguard to keep the gear from retracting on
the ground. At least in fighter aircraft. I can't speak for the BUFFS. LOL.
PapaGeorge

Old March 16th 07, 07:25 PM posted to alt.games.microsoft.flight-sim,rec.aviation.piloting
Paul Tomblin

In a previous article, "Barney Rubble" said:
Coming from MX, this line makes me double up in laughter at the irony of
it....
"People who are interested in a subject can do their own research and verify
what they've been told. "

Man, that is a howler! How many times has that ass-clown been told that
the answers to his questions are in the AIM or the FARs or other
documents? Maybe he should do his own research!

--
Paul Tomblin http://blog.xcski.com/
"Almost any animal is capable of learning a stimulus/response association,
Old March 16th 07, 10:39 PM posted to alt.games.microsoft.flight-sim,rec.aviation.piloting
Mxsmanic

Paul Tomblin writes:

Man, that is a howler! How many times has that ass-clown been told that
the answers to his questions are in the AIM or the FARs or other
documents? Maybe he should do his own research!

He does.

Old March 16th 07, 11:23 PM posted to alt.games.microsoft.flight-sim,rec.aviation.piloting
A Guy Called Tyketto

Old March 20th 07, 09:00 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Bertie the Bunyip[_2_]

Mxsmanic wrote in
:

Capt.Doug writes:

The gear pins mentioned by others here are usually removed by pilots
or mechanics well before pushback for flight. The pin that the
pushback crew holds up is the steering by-pass pin. Without the pin
in place, the towbar is free to swing with the nose wheel steering
and could cause serious injury to persons and equipment. The pin is
held up for the pilots to see so that the pilots know they will have
steering before they start taxiing. Additionally, at my airline and
at United, the nosewheel steering is turned off in the cockpit
because the steering may swing momentarily during electrical power
transfer as the engine-driven generators come online.

Thanks for the detailed answer. I was also able to look up "bypass
pin" after reading your reply and got some additional detail ("pin"
alone was too general).

What's the relationship between the tiller and the rudder when it
comes to steering?

What's it to you, fjukkwit? You'll never use one.

Bertie