Albatros Questions

Old October 9th 03, 05:46 AM
Kenneth Williams

Default Albatros Questions

My good friend and I are having a debate over the German Albatros
fighter in WW1 and I need some help. Can anyone answer the following:

1) In 1918 which fighters formed the majority of the Imperial German
Flying Corps- Albatros or Fokkers? My friend says Fokkers, I disagree.

2) Even though the latter Albatros D.Va suffered structural problems
(V-strut) weren't they still deadly fighters in the hands of aces?

3) Did Goering fly an Albatros during the war? I say yes, my friend
disagrees.

4) How many kills did Richtofen have when flew the Albatros?

5) Finally, wasn't it the Albatros that bore the brunt of aerial
combat during the Germans Offensive of 1918 and NOT the Fokker D.VII?
I say yes, my friend disagrees.

It seems we need an expert on German aircraft of WW1! Anyone up to the
challenge?

Kenneth Williams
vs
James Willborn
Old October 10th 03, 04:20 PM
robert arndt

(Kenneth Williams) wrote in message om...
[...]

I'm not an expert but I know some of the answers:

1) In April 1918 Albatros D.V/D.Va aircraft made up 54% of the German
frontline fighters- so you're right.

2) Yes, the Albatros was deadly and many aces flew them... but don't
expect any of them to praise the aircraft. The wing strut problem
never truly went away despite several modifications and the Mercedes
engine upgrade only gave the D.Va a top speed of around 120 mph-
inferior to the best French and British a/c.

3) Yes, Goering led Jasta 27 in his D.V (painted black with white
prop/tail).

4) Don't know about kills but he was shot down in a D.V on July 6,
1917. His view of the Albatros D.V was highly critical, calling it
"obsolete to the point of uselessness" for him. Albatros units,
however, did shoot down many aircraft proving the aircraft's worth.
FYI, there was also an experimental Albatros Tri-plane!

5) You're talking about the Spring Offensive and yes, the Albatros
bore the brunt of aerial combat as 2,512 D.V/D.Vas were produced in
1917/18. The Fokker D.VII was only first flown in Jan 1918 and only
900 were produced by the end of the war.

Rob
Old October 11th 03, 04:49 PM
Kenneth Williams

(robert arndt) wrote in message . com...
[...]

Thanks Rob for providing that information. Similar e-mails confirm
your facts, especially the numbers for the 1918 air offensive.

Very appreciated and a point of annoyance to my friend James!

Kenneth Williams