Air sickness

Old May 26th 08, 07:19 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Tina

Default Air sickness

On May 26, 10:48 am, "Capt. Geoffrey Thorpe" The Sea Hawk At Wow Way
D0t C0m wrote:
"Stealth Pilot" wrote in message

the australian airforce, I'm told, have one of those spinning
centrifuge seats and airsick trainees get to sit in it for periods for
a fair drubbing to get them insensitive.

Bob Hoover claims that he taught himself aerobatics to get over motion
sickness.

Note: I am not suggesting that one should teach oneself aerobatics. Yes, Bob
Hoover did it, but he is Bob Hoover and you and I aren't - not by a long
shot.

You know, I had seen films of Hoover's cockpit, with glasses of water
not spilling while he did loops and the like. That guy's internal
gyros allowed him to keep the local g forces straight into the seat,
and that is not the way to overcome motion sickness tendencies. Now if
he flew with me at the controls, well, bring along enough zip lock
bags. And that's what I call straight and level!

I don't get sick in airplanes, but did at the most unexpected time
when sailing singlehanded across the Long Island Sound. the odd thing
was, I was busy, fully occupied, in fresh air, and boom. Once was
enough: I was afraid I was going to live.

Old May 26th 08, 07:52 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Vaughn Simon

"Mortimer Schnerd, RN" mschnerdatcarolina.rr.com wrote in message

With nuclear submarines being the norm, why travel at the surface in a rough
sea?

Good question! Operating out of Scotland, we had to travel several hours to
and from port on the surface. Our schedule was "locked in stone" so we could
not wait for nice weather. Sometimes it was months between those few hours of
hell, so I never had a chance to really get acclimated to the motion.
Submerged, we sometimes took surprisingly large rolls, but had little pitching
motion. One tactic back then was to follow storms for as long as possible to
avoid detection, so we were sometimes taking those rolls for a week or more at a
time. That motion I found inconvenient, but it never made me sick.

Vaughn

Old May 26th 08, 08:48 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Tina

On May 26, 2:52 pm, "Vaughn Simon"
wrote:
"Mortimer Schnerd, RN" mschnerdatcarolina.rr.com wrote in messagenews:j8mdnZOyPaS4ZqfVnZ2dnUVZ_gidnZ2d@gigan ews.com...

With nuclear submarines being the norm, why travel at the surface in a rough
sea?

Good question! Operating out of Scotland, we had to travel several hours to
and from port on the surface. Our schedule was "locked in stone" so we could
not wait for nice weather. Sometimes it was months between those few hours of
hell, so I never had a chance to really get acclimated to the motion.
Submerged, we sometimes took surprisingly large rolls, but had little pitching
motion. One tactic back then was to follow storms for as long as possible to
avoid detection, so we were sometimes taking those rolls for a week or more at a
time. That motion I found inconvenient, but it never made me sick.

Vaughn

Vaughn, for sure you were not anywhere near hull limits deep so maybe
this information is not classified. Do you know at what depth you were
still experiencing rolls of a significant amplitude? I'd have guessed
in deep water unless the boat was on the edge of a current it would be
pretty stable if deeper than 10 or 20 times the height of the surface
waves.
Old May 26th 08, 09:00 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
muff528

"Stealth Pilot" wrote in message
On Mon, 26 May 2008 14:52:50 +0200, Mxsmanic
wrote:

Amine writes:

Does motion sickness fade away with experience?

Motion sickness caused by a specific situation tends to fade when that
situation is regularly and frequently experienced. It may still occur in
other situations, and the resistance to motion sickness even in the target
situation will fade if the situation is not encountered fairly frequently.

what *causes* motion sickness oh wise one?

Me! Me! ....call on me! I've got my hand up!
My guess, just off the top of my head, would be ........... motion!
But it's probably more complicated than that.......prolly some math or
something involved. :-)

TP

Old May 26th 08, 11:01 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
NW_Pilot

"Amine" wrote in message
Does motion sickness fade away with experience? How many of you
seasoned pilots had/still have serious issues with recurrent nausea?
(Assuming of course an otherwise good health.)

Whats motion sickness? I forgot hahahahahaha....

Old May 26th 08, 11:02 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
NW_Pilot

the australian airforce, I'm told, have one of those spinning
centrifuge seats and airsick trainees get to sit in it for periods for
a fair drubbing to get them insensitive.

Stealth Pilot

In the US we call them roller coaster and carnivals.

Old May 26th 08, 11:19 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Vaughn Simon

"Tina" wrote in message

Vaughn, for sure you were not anywhere near hull limits deep so maybe
this information is not classified. Do you know at what depth you were
still experiencing rolls of a significant amplitude? I'd have guessed
in deep water unless the boat was on the edge of a current it would be
pretty stable if deeper than 10 or 20 times the height of the surface
waves.

That was a long time ago, so I don't remember specific depths. I think our
typical cruising depth was just a couple hundred feet. (not giving anything
away, that class of subs is long scrapped and probably exists in the form of
razor blades and Toyotas.)

Vaughn

Old May 26th 08, 11:34 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Dave[_5_]

I've never been either seasick or airsick, although I've turned a shade of green
before in both situations. *In the case of flying, I was sitting in the back of
an Arrow on a warm bumpy day. *I've never had a problem while in personal
control of an aircraft.

I've never been airsick (though I came close to it when doing spin
training at Chandler AZ, on repeated hot days, and driving past the
stockyards) but I have indeed been seasick. My preventive measures
include sitting very still, on deck but as low as I can get (the
nearer the center of gravity, the less the motion), looking at the
horizon, and nibbling Saltines or better yet sugared ginger.

I've had similar experiences. Got a little green while a student
pilot, and again when taking aerobatic training - but never lost my
lunch. It helps to be flying the plane.

I've likewise never been seasick, despite working some 14 years at sea
- including going through a couple of typhoons. You'd know it was
rough when hardly anyone
else showed up for meals. One time I came close on a crew boat in
rough weather with the wind blowing diesel smoke into the cabin. The
cure was to stand in the
center of the deck with the wind in my face and my eyes on the
horizon.

Dave

Old May 27th 08, 12:38 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Peter Dohm

the australian airforce, I'm told, have one of those spinning
centrifuge seats and airsick trainees get to sit in it for periods for
a fair drubbing to get them insensitive.

Stealth Pilot

I have suspected that those work quite well after several sessions, but that
first session will leave you qaueasy for the rest of the day!!!

I only know because, long after I had effectively cured my tendency to
airsickness in real airplanes, I saw one of those infernal contraptions at a
fair. Supposedly, they were also used for astronaut training, and that
tenpted me beyond my meager restraint...

I'm still curious whether it really works as well as advertised, but I'd
have to be sure it would remain available continuously and on demand for a
couple of weeks. So it seems like I'm pretty safe. :-)

Peter

Old May 27th 08, 12:56 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Peter Dohm

"Mortimer Schnerd, RN" mschnerdatcarolina.rr.com wrote in message
Christopher Brian Colohan wrote:
Heh. The one time I got really air sick during my flight training was
when I started to learn turns around a point. Constantly looking at
the ground pretty close to me, while going around and around and
around... :-)

I took some foresters up to survey their property in rough air on several
occasions. If you think it was rough on you, at least you were the one in
control. Imagine where somebody else is doing the flying and you're
circling the ground looking through binoculars. It was reminiscent of the
WWII AAC officer's uniform: pinks and greens. They started one color and
ended the other. G

--
Mortimer Schnerd, RN
mschnerdatcarolina.rr.com

Just the thought of the binoculars...

Peter

anybody benefit once, mean therefore, then compensate since the sickness above the sentence Franklin Piloting 0 August 14th 07 01:34 AM
XC Sickness [email protected] Soaring 17 July 13th 07 05:45 AM
Anything new in to combat motion sickness? Gary Emerson Soaring 35 February 6th 07 04:38 PM
Gulf Sickness Redux? DunxC Military Aviation 0 September 18th 03 06:36 AM