First jump!

Old August 14th 04, 03:54 PM
Doug Vetter

Default First jump!

Hi all,

Just wanted to relate another "aviation first" experience I had
recently. I've been flying airplanes for 15 years now, and have been
known to strap on a parachute now and again for some acro, but I
recently decided to do my first tandem freefall parachute jump out of a
perfectly good airplane. All I can say is "WOW!".

I'm no adrenalin junkie or extreme sports fanatic, but this has got to
be one of the most awesome aviation experiences a pilot or non-pilot can
have. It's definitely not for those with a fear of heights, but if you
can actually get yourself to step out onto that small platform over the
right main wheel and let go of everything (both the airplane and your
own natural and justifiable anxiety), you'll be rewarded with a
fantastic, if not life-altering, experience.

Now, as far as justification is concerned, I consider jumping a lot more
frivilous than my piloting persuits (after all, it's possible to make a
decent living out of flying airplanes -- not jumping out of them), but I
justifed the expense by realizing that the next time I strapped on that
chute and did some acro that I'd have the confidence to jump and at
least a fighting chance of landing safely if something went terribly wrong.

After learning firsthand what an 80K relative wind feels like, and how
difficult it is to get out of a small airplane under the best, most
controlled circumstances, I think everyone who does aerobatics on a
regular basis should do a freefall jump at least once and learn how to
"fly" a canopy -- emergency reserve or otherwise. It may just safe your
life.

Based on my experience, I can say that pilots will be particularly adept
at flying a parachute, since it's just a really big, soft wing flown
using Wright-era wing-warping techniques. If nothing else, a jump will
provide an extra use for your skills as a pilot. The only downside? My
perfect landing record is toast -- I've now logged one more takeoff than
I have recorded landings. :-)

If you want to read the full story of my jump, check it out on my site.
Click through:

Aviation-Articles-Miscellaneous-Skydive

As the jumpers say, "blue skies!",

-Doug

--
--------------------
Doug Vetter, CFIMEIA

http://www.dvcfi.com
--------------------
Old August 14th 04, 06:03 PM
Donald M. Ross

"Doug Vetter" wrote in message
. net...
Hi all,
(after all, it's possible to make a
decent living out of flying airplanes -- not jumping out of them),

I don't know - 12 years of doing it for Uncle Sam was a pretty decent
living.

Seriously, congrats on giving it a go.

Old August 15th 04, 12:31 AM
Doug Vetter

Donald M. Ross wrote:
I don't know - 12 years of doing it for Uncle Sam was a pretty decent
living.

Well, I should have qualified that with "in civilian life". I've never
been the military type so it never entered my mind as an option.

Frankly, I have a new respect for those that jump in the military. They
make it look easy, but I just can't imagine how difficult it must be to
jump into a hostile environment. I had a hard enough time flying the
canopy to a nice wide-open field with calm 10 mph winds and no one
wanting to kill me when I landed.

Incidentally, my instructor said he's done 60 static line jumps with
round chutes in the Airborne and said it's one of the most difficult
things he's ever done. They can open quite harshly, apparently. I
think I'll take a good 'ol square sport chute. :-)

-Doug

--
--------------------
Doug Vetter, CFIMEIA

http://www.dvcfi.com
--------------------
Old August 15th 04, 01:13 AM
Donald M. Ross

Having done both, I'd say that it has more to do with the 100lbs of
"extraneous" stuff that you "get" to carry when Sam's footing the bill.

Old August 15th 04, 01:14 AM
john smith

Doug Vetter wrote:
Incidentally, my instructor said he's done 60 static line jumps with
round chutes in the Airborne and said it's one of the most difficult
things he's ever done. They can open quite harshly, apparently. I
think I'll take a good 'ol square sport chute. :-)

Imagine jumping with an extra 100-200 pounds of gear.
Granted you lower it so it lands before you do, but...

Old August 15th 04, 03:58 AM
Jay Honeck

As the jumpers say, "blue skies!",

Great story, Doug.

You've entered the same "You're crazy!" category that my wife, Mary now
occupies.

(She did a tandem jump on her 40th birthday, and had a ball. I, of course,
was on the ground with our two kids, dying by the inch as we watched her
plummeting toward the earth...)
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA

Old August 15th 04, 02:47 PM
muff528

Have your wife check out this site:
http://www.thepops.org/index.asp

Old August 15th 04, 05:30 PM
Foster

When I did my first jump, and my wife eventually found out about it, I
would have been in less hot water than had I run off with a Las Vegas
showgirl - 20 years later it's still a taboo subject. I did static line
solo - that tandem stuff scares me - no control.

JJF

Old August 21st 04, 08:06 AM
Jeff

I have a couple of civilian free falls and 68 static line jumps while in the
Army. I also am (was) a jump master in the army.
The free fall jumps, to me, was 10 times rougher then the static line jumps,
during the free fall ones, you fall several thousand feet at around 120 MPH
then open the chute, in the army, you jump and fall between 200-250 ft
before your chute opens.
Army jumps were the easiest, all you do is waddle to the door, then fall
out. nothing else to do except try not to step in all the puke running down
the floor and on the seats. You waddle because you have a huge rucksack
hanging in front from you from your waist to your ankles and a weapon
strapped to you under your armpit and tied to your calf. But you can hardly
feel the canopy open, now free fall, that hurt.

Did you get the video made?
here is the video from my first freefall
http://216.158.136.80/jump.asf

Jump Start? Jeffrey Owning 3 February 7th 05 07:33 PM
Jump plane CG Roger Long Piloting 10 July 16th 04 06:19 AM
A Russian skydiver opens a backup canopy on his first jump HECTOP Piloting 7 June 10th 04 09:52 PM
PING: Gordon (was: The torpedo high jump...) Yeff Military Aviation 0 June 10th 04 08:41 AM
Looking to jump in feet first - but don't want to land on my arse BoscoBob Home Built 11 December 15th 03 12:13 AM