F-14 approach AoA, is it really 15 degrees?

Old June 28th 06, 06:26 PM posted to rec.aviation.military.naval

Default F-14 approach AoA, is it really 15 degrees?

For what it's worth. Approach "units" were used as early as the mid 1950s in
the North American FJ-3.

Made it easier to trap between the sails on the original Constitution.

WDA

end

"sttp" wrote in message
Elsewhere I've read that the Tomcat flies "units" of AoA, not degrees,
with its AoA range of -10 to +40 degrees being converted to units in the 0
to +30 range. That would mean the formula for converting units to degrees
in that plane is [UnitsAoA = .6 * DegreesAoA + 6]. I've also read that
approach AoA for the F-14 is 15 units, which would be... 15 degrees! Holy
crap. Is that correct? That seems awfully high (too far nose up) to me,
especially given the Hornet's ideal 8.1degrees. Can anyone confirm or
correct these values? Or is there something weird going on with wing angle
of incidence (or something else) that throws a spoke in my assumption that
15 degrees AoA means 12 degrees nose up on approach. (15, minus 3 for the
glideslope.) Any help appreciated. Thanks!

Scott

Old June 28th 06, 07:17 PM posted to rec.aviation.military.naval

On Wed, 28 Jun 2006 10:26:00 -0700, "W. D. Allen"
wrote:

For what it's worth. Approach "units" were used as early as the mid 1950s in
the North American FJ-3.

Made it easier to trap between the sails on the original Constitution.

WDA

Glad I didn't have to face that challenge, particularly taxing through
all those rigging lines. Didn't miss the lash, but could have enjoyed
the grog. We land types were still confused about how to get the
airplane back on that launching track on the N. Carolina beach.

All this discussion had reminded me of one of those "bucket of
propwash" questions we used to ask UPT students--"where do you find
the Gunits gauge?"

It was clearly marked on the instrument panel: "G units"

Ed Rasimus
Fighter Pilot (USAF-Ret)
"When Thunder Rolled"
www.thunderchief.org
www.thundertales.blogspot.com
Old June 28th 06, 07:46 PM posted to rec.aviation.military.naval

wrote:

For what it's worth. Approach "units" were used as early as the mid 1950s in
the North American FJ-3.

Made it easier to trap between the sails on the original Constitution.

WDA

Glad I didn't have to face that challenge, particularly taxing through
all those rigging lines. Didn't miss the lash, but could have enjoyed
the grog. We land types were still confused about how to get the
airplane back on that launching track on the N. Carolina beach.

All this discussion had reminded me of one of those "bucket of
propwash" questions we used to ask UPT students--"where do you find
the Gunits gauge?"

It was clearly marked on the instrument panel: "G units"

Right up there with "go get me 40 feet of flight line"....

Curt
--
Curt Fennell, A-6 Driver

Old June 28th 06, 10:59 PM posted to rec.aviation.military.naval

" wrote in message
oups.com...
Hey Scott,

For the F-14 approach alpha, true degrees is 10.8 which is published
in various sources.

Julian.

That would make my 20 year old memory (11 degrees) pretty good.

R / John

Old June 29th 06, 12:33 AM posted to rec.aviation.military.naval

John Carrier wrote:
" wrote in message
oups.com...
Hey Scott,

For the F-14 approach alpha, true degrees is 10.8 which is published
in various sources.

Julian.

That would make my 20 year old memory (11 degrees) pretty good.

R / John

Yes it does John!

Julian