Just Bought A Plane? STAY OUT OF FLORIDA !

Old March 22nd 08, 09:15 AM posted to rec.aviation.owning,rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.homebuilt
WJRFlyBoy

Default Just Bought A Plane? STAY OUT OF FLORIDA !

http://tinyurl.com/24og9o

Read about the bewildering details of a number of long-suffering
non-resident pilots who have been caught in the FL tax trap, (otherwise
known as the "Florida Landing Fee").

It starts like this... you buy a new or used aircraft and sign the bill
of sale... which starts "the clock." It is Florida's position that for
the next six months (possibly thereafter, though the burden of proof
reportedly changes at that point), the state has the right to exact the
requisite "Use Tax" (Sales Tax) for the fact you partook of the state's
services unless you can show an equivalent Use or Sales Tax receipt from
another state...

In other words, for those of you who may have bought a $500K Cessna,
Cirrus, Columbia, etc... unless you can prove that you paid the
equivalent use tax in another state, you owe the state of Florida some
$30K if you visited the state in the first six months of your ownership.
Mind you, if your sales/use tax bill comes from a state that exacts LESS
tax than Florida, the FL Department of Revenue still expects you to pony
up the difference... and if you're from a state that exacts a minimum
fee (like the few hundred dollars for owners in South Carolina), they
will bill you for the WHOLE difference... and its up to you to fight
them on it.

No kidding.

Old March 22nd 08, 03:56 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning,rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.homebuilt
Charles Vincent

WJRFlyBoy wrote:
[...]

Reading the referenced story and linked articles, you would think the
author has a bigger axe to grind with Sun n Fun than the Florida sales
tax.

From the EAA website:

Sun 'n Fun Calls Reports of Florida Use Tax Inaccurate

March 21, 2008 — Recent reports of “use taxes” being levied on airplanes
owned by non-resident visitors to Florida are not accurate, according to
officials at Sun ’n Fun Fly-In at Lakeland, Florida, whose annual
aviation season kick-off takes place the week of April 8-13. Sun ’n Fun
has fielded numerous calls from concerned pilots and exhibitors worried
about the report and is looking to alleviate those concerns.

“I’ve talked with the General Counsel of the Florida Department of
Revenue and he assured me that, number 1, there will not be state tax
agents doing ramp checks, and that out-of-state pilots have nothing to
fear,” said John Burton, Sun ’n Fun president. The Florida DoR informed
Burton that the tax affects only those owners who have purchased their
airplane in another state (outside Florida) within the past six months,
but who have the aircraft titled and registered in Florida and have not
paid Florida sales tax on that airplane.

Sun ’n Fun received correspondence from Florida Department of Revenue
Executive Director Lisa Echeverri dated March 19, 2008, that includes
the statement: “Florida does not assess a use tax on non-resident
aircraft owners in every circumstance where an aircraft is brought to
Florida within the first six months.”

“It does not impact Sun ’n Fun exhibitors and aircraft dealers; it does
not impact aircraft owners who have owned their aircraft for more than
six months,” Burton said. “The idea of having somebody who has purchased
an airplane out of state and is not a resident of FL, getting charged a
use tax here is absolutely ludicrous.

“It’s a classic case of much ado about nothing.”

Pat Phillips, a member of the EAA Legal Advisory Council as well as Sun
’n Fun air show chairman and a fly-in director, is familiar with the
situation. “If somebody goes out of state and buys an airplane in a
state that charges no sales tax and brings it to Florida, and the
airplane is based in Florida, the buyer lives in Florida, and is using
the airplane in Florida, yes, he would owe a 6 percent use tax,” he said.

“Now, if a transient aircraft comes into Florida from a state where they
have not paid sales tax on the aircraft or are just visiting here, they
would have no obligation to pay a use tax in the state of Florida just
for using their airplane while visiting in the state,” he said. “And I
believe constitutionally that would be in conflict with the commerce
laws of the U.S.”

Phillips added, “If a person, willingly or innocently, avoids sales tax
by buying out of state but bases his aircraft in Florida and lives in
the state, then the use tax obligation may apply. But for a person who
simply flies down to Florida but lives in another state, he will not be
assessed a tax. It’s preposterous to even think the state would impose a
sales tax.”

When EAA’s Government Affairs department learned about the Florida use
tax story, it responded immediately by contacting its Legal Advisory
Council, which worked with Sun ’n Fun management to get official
clarification from the Florida Department of Revenue.

“This is a good example of how our staff, working with the council, was
able to get to the bottom of this story and help clarify this
situation,” said Earl Lawrence, EAA vice president of industry and
regulatory affairs. “Hopefully this will put to rest the concerns of
non-Florida residents who intend to fly into the state for Sun ’n Fun,
or any time, for that matter.”
Old March 22nd 08, 04:14 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning,rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.homebuilt
John Ammeter

There's nothing new here. AFAIK, every state has the same policy. You
buy a large ticket item out of state to avoid state sales/use tax and
you're liable for the tax when you bring it home.

It's a stretch to say that if you visit Florida you're going to get
nailed for this tax. But, given where this item showed up and the
author of it, I'm not surprised. Reading the article I'm not surprised
to find his normal Sun and Fun bashing...

John

Old March 22nd 08, 04:43 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning,rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.homebuilt
RST Engineering

..
..
I wasn't aware that maniac had a cousin.

Jim

--
"If you think you can, or think you can't, you're right."
--Henry Ford

Old March 22nd 08, 06:06 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning,rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.homebuilt
Jay Maynard

On 2008-03-22, John Ammeter wrote:
It's a stretch to say that if you visit Florida you're going to get
nailed for this tax. But, given where this item showed up and the
author of it, I'm not surprised. Reading the article I'm not surprised
to find his normal Sun and Fun bashing...

I first heard about this when Phil Boyer mentioned it briefly at the AOPA
Pilot's Town Meeting in Charlotte last Tuesday. It's real.
--
Jay Maynard, K5ZC http://www.conmicro.com
http://www.hercules-390.org (Yes, that's me!)
Old March 22nd 08, 08:03 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
Ron Wanttaja

Default ZZZzzz Just Bought A Plane? STAY OUT OF FLORIDA !

On Sat, 22 Mar 2008 08:14:45 -0700, John Ammeter
wrote:

It's a stretch to say that if you visit Florida you're going to get
nailed for this tax. But, given where this item showed up and the
author of it, I'm not surprised. Reading the article I'm not surprised
to find his normal Sun and Fun bashing...

Not to mention that Zoom is likely to be ticked at the Florida tax folks anyway.
They filed at tax lien on his magazine company in 1996...

http://ori2.polk-county.net/wb_or1/d...doc_s tatus=V

Even though it's just for $126, they apparently hounded him about it for over
eleven years, because he finally paid it off just two months ago:

http://ori2.polk-county.net/wb_or1/d...doc _status=V

There have been other tax liens against his companies over the years, plus of
course the big dollop he owed when he took Airedale into bankruptcy.

One does wonder, of course, whether his recent diatribe against the Florida tax
folks might be a bit more personal. As I posted a couple of months back, ANN is
registered as a Florida corporation...

http://tinyurl.com/38p9cq

....but the company's airplane, N411AN, is registered to a North Carolina
address.

http://tinyurl.com/2js8wm

Personally, if I were to take an editorial stance against aggressive tactics
taken against potential scofflaws, I'd make sure I wasn't one of those scofflaws
to begin with.

If the staties *do* take action, he'll just claim that it's revenge for the
article. Just like he claims that SnF banned him over his editorial stance, not
his behavior.

Ron Wanttaja
Old March 22nd 08, 11:56 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning,rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.homebuilt
Peter Clark

On Sat, 22 Mar 2008 09:56:07 -0500, Charles Vincent
wrote:

[...]

So is the EAA lawyer going to go talk to the Florida DOR for the
Meridian owner who flew to VRB for training and got smacked with a
$100,000 tax bill because he flew to FL in an out-of-state based and
registered aircraft for a week to get training and then left? It's
not like the original areo-news article (and today's follow-up cover
responding to the EAA's above message) doesn't have documented cases
of people having to go to court for what he says is "preposterous to
even think" would happen.
Old March 23rd 08, 12:27 AM posted to rec.aviation.owning,rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.homebuilt
Mike Isaksen

"John Ammeter" wrote ...
It's a stretch to say that if you visit Florida you're going to get nailed
for this tax. But, given where this item showed up and
the author of it, I'm not surprised. Reading the article I'm not
surprised to find his normal Sun and Fun bashing...

Yup,... I read this article at ANN a few days back and was saddened to think
the old Capt Zoom is Back.

I had become a fan Jim Campbell's latest effort with Aero-News Net. I
visited it several times a week, even beginning to prefer it to AvWeb as a
timely info source. I even went over and shook Jim's hand at Hartford AOPA
Expo (where I saw him with camera crew in tow), to wish him success with his
new Aero TV Video Network. I thought his video coverage at AirVenture was
excellent.

Unfortunately this Florida Tax article shows his backslide into the nasty
side of his Capt Zoom alter ego, where he displays no hesitancy to use his
media network against his perceived enemies. I can only assume that shortly
before Jim penned that article he had again been denied Media Credentialed
Access to Sun-n-Fun. No doubt a harsh reminder of his "ban for life".

Old March 23rd 08, 01:20 AM posted to rec.aviation.owning,rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.homebuilt
WJRFlyBoy

On Sat, 22 Mar 2008 09:56:07 -0500, Charles Vincent wrote:

Reading the referenced story and linked articles, you would think the
author has a bigger axe to grind with Sun n Fun than the Florida sales
tax.

True, and apparently he has.