Getting plane.

Old December 1st 04, 01:43 PM
Derek.

Default Getting plane.

Hi all,
I'm trying to get plane with my friend under LLC(non-profit reason) in
NJ. Any laws,tax, etc.... Please let me know.
Derek.
Old December 6th 04, 12:03 PM
Jon Kraus

I don't know about NJ but we just went through this in Indiana.
Basically it boiled down to this:
It doesn't matter if you are a LLC or not (we are), doesn't matter if
you purchased the plane in state or not. If you are keeping it in
Indiana you owe the tax and they collect it when you apply for a
registration.

I was told that since the states are all broke now they are cracking
down on the "not paying sales tax" thing. They (Indiana Dept of Revenue)
go out on a quarterly basis and collect N numbers from all the airports
and see how long they have been there and whether or not they are
registered in state.

Good luck. We tried and tried butn couldn't get around it.

Jon Kraus
PP-ASEL-IA
N4443H @ TYQ
'79 Mooney M20J

zatatime wrote:
On 1 Dec 2004 05:43:07 -0800, (Derek.) wrote:

Hi all,
I'm trying to get plane with my friend under LLC(non-profit reason) in
NJ. Any laws,tax, etc.... Please let me know.
Derek.

If you buy from an individual out of state to an individual you don't
have to pay the sales/use tax.

HTH.

Old December 6th 04, 12:34 PM
Peter R.

Jon Kraus ) wrote:

It doesn't matter if you are a LLC or not (we are), doesn't matter if
you purchased the plane in state or not. If you are keeping it in
Indiana you owe the tax and they collect it when you apply for a
registration.

I was told that since the states are all broke now they are cracking
down on the "not paying sales tax" thing. They (Indiana Dept of Revenue)
go out on a quarterly basis and collect N numbers from all the airports
and see how long they have been there and whether or not they are
registered in state.

Good luck. We tried and tried butn couldn't get around it.

What if the aircraft were used for business purposes (say a leaseback)?
Would Indiana allow you to collect sales tax as a use tax, I.e. every
hour the aircraft is used, rather than one lump sum due at registration?

--
Peter

Old December 6th 04, 01:15 PM
Ron Natalie

Peter R. wrote:

What if the aircraft were used for business purposes (say a leaseback)?
Would Indiana allow you to collect sales tax as a use tax, I.e. every
hour the aircraft is used, rather than one lump sum due at registration?

Don't know about Indiana, but here you pay sales/use tax on business
items. The only thing you can get a free ride on is stuff for resale
(because they know they'll get get the tax from the eventual consumer).
Old December 6th 04, 04:39 PM
Peter R.

Ron Natalie ) wrote:

What if the aircraft were used for business purposes (say a leaseback)?
Would Indiana allow you to collect sales tax as a use tax, I.e. every
hour the aircraft is used, rather than one lump sum due at registration?

Don't know about Indiana, but here you pay sales/use tax on business
items. The only thing you can get a free ride on is stuff for resale
(because they know they'll get get the tax from the eventual consumer).

In NY if you are in the business of selling hourly aircraft time, you
can collect sales tax by each hour of use, rather than pay the entire
percentage up front.

Could you sell aircraft hourly time to yourself, if there are two
businesses involved (one that owned the aircraft and one that bought the
hourly aircraft time to travel for business)?

I believe there are individuals in nearby hangars who do this.

--
Peter

Old December 7th 04, 05:25 PM
Jon Kraus

Our plane is going to be used for business purposes sometimes. Other
times for pleasure. Indiana doesn't care. They want the sales tax.

Jon Kraus

Old December 7th 04, 05:47 PM
Peter R.

Jon Kraus ) wrote:

Our plane is going to be used for business purposes sometimes. Other
times for pleasure. Indiana doesn't care. They want the sales tax.

Jon, with due respect, that really doesn't answer my question (or, maybe
it does and I am just dense).

Does Indiana allow you to collect the sales tax for each hour of use
rather than pay the entire amount up front (again, with the concept that
you are selling aircraft hourly time to your business)?

If no, then is it true that all businesses in Indiana must pay a sales
tax to the state on goods and services purchased up front, despite the
fact that these goods and services will be resold to a consumer and
taxed again at point of sale?

--
Peter

Old December 7th 04, 10:29 PM
Jon Kraus

Peter,
As far as I know the answer to your question is No. Indiana will not let
you collect the tax on an hourly basis. You can avoid the tax if you
have a tax exempt ID which we do not have. For businesses that re-sell
goods, they will have a tax exempt ID. Hope this helps.

Jon Kraus