sold 310 -- now what?

Old January 6th 05, 01:14 PM
Viperdoc

I've never had a problem getting TKS fluid. It comes in 55gal drums, and I
keep the tank in the plane full in the winter and also keep some extra jugs
in the nose in case I need a refill on the road. A lot of FBO's carry it as
well, since some jets such as Challengers also use TKS.

It does make a slimy slippery mess on the hangar floor.Using a mop only
pushes it around. I catch the overflow from filling in a garden sprayer and
then spray it on the plane to deice as added protection.

"Matt Barrow" wrote in message

"Mike Rapoport" wrote in message
nk.net...
In many respects yes, but in a few no. As far as keeping ice off the
airframe TKS is the best, better even than heated leading edges (which
can
suffer from "run-back icing"). TKS is clearly better in large droplet
icing, at least for the surfaces with TKS, everything else is still a
problem. The downsides of TKS are weight of the fluid and making a mess

in
the hanger.

Isn't it also a bit of a hassle finding replacement fluid?

--
Matt
---------------------

Old January 6th 05, 08:36 PM
Dave Butler

G.R. Patterson III wrote:

Matt Barrow wrote:

They advertise it, I'd hope them have it.

I agree with the sentiment, but I wouldn't take a list compounded by Airnav as
an indication that these airports are advertising that they have 80/87. I
suspect that Airnav's info is somewhat out-of-date for many fields.

Here's some data from the ATA-100 APT.txt file dated 11/04/2004. This appears to
be the source that airnav.com uses. For 20329 APT records in the file, the
number of airports reporting selling each kind of fuel is as follows:

80 - GRADE 80 GASOLINE (RED): 275
100 - GRADE 100 GASOLINE (GREEN): 348
100LL - GRADE 100LL GASOLINE (LOW LEAD BLUE): 3524
115 - GRADE 115 GASOLINE: 23
A - JET A - KEROSENE, FREEZE POINT -40C: 2051
A1 - JET A-1 - KEROSENE, FREEZE POINT -50C: 52
A1+ - JET A-1 - KEROSENE, WITH ICING INHIBITOR,
FREEZE POINT -50C: 213
B - JET B - WIDE-CUT TURBINE FUEL,
FREEZE POINT -50C: 18
B+ - JET B - WIDE-CUT TURBINE FUEL WITH ICING INHIBITOR
FREEZE POINT -50C: 51
MOGAS - AUTOMOTIVE GASOLINE: 413

Note that many airports sell more than one kind of fuel.
No distinction is made among AIRPORT, GLIDERPORT, STOLPORT, etc.

No guarantee of accuracy, of course, but I know of no better data. Many of the
numbers seem low to me.

Dave
Old January 6th 05, 08:56 PM
Ron Natalie

Dave Butler wrote:

100 - GRADE 100 GASOLINE (GREEN): 348

This number alone should be highly suspect. When was
the last time you saw 100/130?
Old January 6th 05, 11:47 PM

Ron Natalie wrote:
Dave Butler wrote:

100 - GRADE 100 GASOLINE (GREEN): 348

This number alone should be highly suspect. When was
the last time you saw 100/130?

About 7 months ago. Holman Aviation in Great Falls, MT has been
selling it for as long as I can remember. Apparently, there's a local
refinery that makes it.

That said, I argree that 348 is a suspect number. Aside from Holman,
I haven't seen green gas available at any airport for years.
John Galban=====N4BQ (PA28-180)

Old January 7th 05, 10:13 PM
Matt Barrow

"Viperdoc" wrote in message
I've never had a problem getting TKS fluid. It comes in 55gal drums, and I
keep the tank in the plane full in the winter and also keep some extra

jugs
in the nose in case I need a refill on the road. A lot of FBO's carry it

as
well, since some jets such as Challengers also use TKS.

Is there a list of those FBO's somewhere?

It does make a slimy slippery mess on the hangar floor.Using a mop only
pushes it around. I catch the overflow from filling in a garden sprayer

and
then spray it on the plane to deice as added protection.

How do you clean up the spills, though?

--
Matt
---------------------

Old January 8th 05, 03:11 AM
Viperdoc

I would suggest calling ahead at FBO's if you plan to stop and think you
might need some TKS fluid.

The TKS fluid slowly drips out of the panels with time, and this can
continue for several weeks after its last use. I anticipate getting slimed
every time I crawl under the wings during a preflight.

A friend has an autoscrubber, which I borrowed and worked great on my floor.
Also, a wet mop with full strength simple green works reasonably well.

I just live with it, since once it gets on the floor it will last forever
due to the low vapor pressure of the glycol. I just can't get too excited
about pulling the plane out in the middle of winter just to swab the floor,
and so far I haven't been able to convince my wife to do the job either.

Still, the bottom line is that TKS works better than boots, requires no
maintenance, and doesn't slow you down like boots.

Good luck.

Old January 9th 05, 03:08 AM
David Lesher

"Robert M. Gary" writes:

How often do guys like us fly to airports that sell Jet-A though? The
article that "Pilot" wrote up mentioned that most U.S. orders were for
the Cont. engine version. I guess in the E.U. jet-A is more common.

But....Jet A will be around in 10 years. Leaded avgas....?

--
A host is a host from coast to

Old January 9th 05, 03:18 PM
Juan Jimenez

"Newps" wrote in message

David Lesher wrote:

"Robert M. Gary" writes:

How often do guys like us fly to airports that sell Jet-A though? The
article that "Pilot" wrote up mentioned that most U.S. orders were for
the Cont. engine version. I guess in the E.U. jet-A is more common.

But....Jet A will be around in 10 years. Leaded avgas....?

Yes.

Maybe. But at what price? At this rate the $100 hamburger will have morphed
into a $250 White Castle burger.

Old January 9th 05, 04:46 PM
Matt Barrow

"Robert M. Gary" writes:

How often do guys like us fly to airports that sell Jet-A though?

Checked my logs against AirNav: during 2004, we landed at 43 separate
airports and Jet-A was available at all but four (RPX, AZ82, 00V, & F14).

--
Matt