Another boring post...

Old June 3rd 04, 06:03 AM
G. Burkhart

Default Another boring post...

You've all read these type posts before...

I just got back from getting night-current. I looked at the weather and it
said:
KJYG 030415Z AUTO 00000KT 10SM CLR 14/09 A3019 RMK AO2

With no wind, no traffic around for miles, I decided to take off on 33 and
do a tear-drop back to 15. It's been a while since I've done tear-drops and
ended up way too high on final back to 15. With some s-turns, I got a decent
landing and taxied all the way back to take off on 33 again. This time I
made a regular pattern and did a stop and go and then one more time around
the pattern for the full stop.

Looking at my logbook, it had been 15 months (2/27/03!) since I did any
night flying. It was nice and smooth, I had forgotten how much better (and
fun) it is to fly at night.

My next flights I'm planning are from here (St James, MN) to FRM this
Saturday and to fly-in breakfasts in Webster City (EBS) on the 12th and
Spencer (SPW) on the 13th. I'll see you Iowans/Minnesotans, etc., there!

--
-Greg Burkhart
N93332

Old June 3rd 04, 12:47 PM
Jay Honeck

With no wind, no traffic around for miles, I decided to take off on 33 and
do a tear-drop back to 15. It's been a while since I've done tear-drops

and
ended up way too high on final back to 15. With some s-turns, I got a

decent
landing and taxied all the way back to take off on 33 again. This time I
made a regular pattern and did a stop and go and then one more time around
the pattern for the full stop.

That's cool. I can honestly say that, in almost 900 hours, I've *never*
done a teardrop-to-land pattern on the opposing runway.

Now you've got me planning to try one. (Which will generate some posts about
"non-standard pattern entry" -- just watch!)

Looking at my logbook, it had been 15 months (2/27/03!) since I did any
night flying. It was nice and smooth, I had forgotten how much better (and
fun) it is to fly at night.

I'll bet it's been over a year since I flew in total darkness. I fly after
sunset pretty regularly, but almost never in "legal" darkness.

You coming to Fly Iowa next weekend? It's in Washington, IA (AWG), and
promises to be a good one. Food, World War II aircraft, and lots of pilots
usually equals a good time!
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA

Old June 3rd 04, 02:47 PM
G. Burkhart

"Jay Honeck" wrote in message
That's cool. I can honestly say that, in almost 900 hours, I've *never*
done a teardrop-to-land pattern on the opposing runway.

Now you've got me planning to try one. (Which will generate some posts

about
"non-standard pattern entry" -- just watch!)

I did a few tear-drops at McAllen, TX (MFE) a few years ago with an
instructor for a checkout in a C-152. This was at a class-D airport and the
tower didn't have a problem with it. I could get more landings (options) in
using the teardrop than flying a regular pattern. The 11PM flight last night
and I was the only one around for miles. The radio was quiet and I made my
calls with probably nobody around to hear them. (If a tree...?)

You coming to Fly Iowa next weekend? It's in Washington, IA (AWG), and
promises to be a good one. Food, World War II aircraft, and lots of

pilots
usually equals a good time!

I'd like to go to Fly Iowa but I have other plans this Saturday afternoon.
There might be a slim chance I can get down there later that day but the way
it looks now, it's doubtful. It's been a while since I've flown off the
Omaha sectional. (OSH will cure that!) Where's Fly Iowa going to be next
year?

--
Greg Burkhart

Old June 3rd 04, 08:14 PM
Jack Allison

Hey Greg...I'm doing the same thing tonight. My FBO requires maintaining
night currency and I always look forward to logging more night time.
Definitely a fun time to fly.

--
Jack Allison
PP-ASEL

you will always long to return"
- Leonardo Da Vinci

Old June 3rd 04, 09:49 PM
Jay Honeck

I'd like to go to Fly Iowa but I have other plans this Saturday afternoon.

Fly Iowa is Saturday AND Sunday, by the way. Come on over on Sunday!

It's been a while since I've flown off the
Omaha sectional. (OSH will cure that!)

Omaha? I thought you were in Minnesota?

Where's Fly Iowa going to be next
year?

Dunno. I'll see if I can find out.
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA

Old June 4th 04, 04:34 AM
G. Burkhart

"Jay Honeck" wrote in message
I'd like to go to Fly Iowa but I have other plans this Saturday

afternoon.

Fly Iowa is Saturday AND Sunday, by the way. Come on over on Sunday!

It's possible. I'll have to see and get a Chicago sectional.

It's been a while since I've flown off the
Omaha sectional. (OSH will cure that!)

Omaha? I thought you were in Minnesota?

I'm about 3 inches from the top of the Omaha sectional and all of my flying
this past year and a half since moving back from McAllen has been on the
Omaha sectional.

Where's Fly Iowa going to be next
year?

Dunno. I'll see if I can find out.

Found the answer on the Washington newspaper site:
Fly Iowa is the state's premier aviation event, and when it is held in
Washington, it will mark the smallest city to host the event. The Cedar
Rapids airport played host last year. LeMars had previously been the
smallest city to host the event, and next year, Clarinda will capture the
smallest city title.
(On the Omaha chart. It's 197nm from here compared to 207nm to AWG)

Old June 4th 04, 05:02 AM
Jay Honeck

Found the answer on the Washington newspaper site:
Fly Iowa is the state's premier aviation event, and when it is held in
Washington, it will mark the smallest city to host the event. The Cedar
Rapids airport played host last year. LeMars had previously been the
smallest city to host the event, and next year, Clarinda will capture the
smallest city title.
(On the Omaha chart. It's 197nm from here compared to 207nm to AWG)

Wow -- we've never even been to Clarinda!

Well, there's always a first time...?

Hope to see you this weekend!
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA

Old June 4th 04, 04:11 PM
Mackfly

From: "Jay Honeck"

Wow -- we've never even been to Clarinda!

Well, there's always a first time...?

Been there Jay, Nice "little" airport.
Mac
Old June 4th 04, 11:54 PM
Jack Davis

On Thu, 03 Jun 2004 05:03:56 +0000, G. Burkhart wrote:

My next flights I'm planning are from here (St James, MN) to FRM this
Saturday and to fly-in breakfasts in Webster City (EBS) on the 12th and
Spencer (SPW) on the 13th. I'll see you Iowans/Minnesotans, etc., there!

When you get to EBS make sure to tell Ralph Storm I said hello. I was a
student of his a long time ago.

-Jack Davis
B737

Old June 5th 04, 01:46 AM
G. Burkhart

"Jack Davis" wrote in message
news
On Thu, 03 Jun 2004 05:03:56 +0000, G. Burkhart wrote:

My next flights I'm planning are from here (St James, MN) to FRM this
Saturday and to fly-in breakfasts in Webster City (EBS) on the 12th and
Spencer (SPW) on the 13th. I'll see you Iowans/Minnesotans, etc., there!

When you get to EBS make sure to tell Ralph Storm I said hello. I was a
student of his a long time ago.

-Jack Davis
B737

I will if I see him. I'll just have to figure out which one he is... ;-)